Etsy Scam

lizavet8

"Ruffian"
O.G.
May 3, 2007
Oh boy, after years of experience I blew it. I bought an Hermes Constance vintage belt from Catstreetvintage on Etsy and she sent....a box of cheap makeup brushes. $256.00. Etsy does not allow one to open a case until April 4, though the package was delivered on the 26th. I’ve tried contacting her....nothing. I used PayPal, so if Etsy fails, I could go that route. Ugh, I almost never shop there.

1408634582 Is the order number.

https://www.etsy.com/transaction/1408634582

Update; she messaged me back on Etsy (all communication through there) and is insisting that she sent the belt. I have the packaging (tiny envelope) and so will proceed. Does anyone have any experience with Etsy? Are they supportive?

Also, I found her on eBay; three ID changes in a relatively short time; coron0w0 is one.

Last edited:
@lizavet8, so sorry to hear this. I wonder if you should go directly to pay pal for your dispute?

When buyers pay with PayPal on any website, PayPal Purchase Protection covers them in case there is a problem. If an item doesn’t arrive or is significantly not as described, we will help buyers get a full refund.

To qualify for PayPal Purchase Protection:

• Use PayPal to complete your payment.
  • Let the seller know there's a problem with the transaction by opening a dispute in the Resolution Center within the time frame noted in the transaction details. If you can't resolve the issue with the seller, escalate the dispute to a claim within 20 days of the date you opened the dispute.
  • Keep your PayPal account in good standing.

If your transaction qualifies for PayPal Purchase Protection you are covered for the full purchase price plus the original shipping charges.

I don't use Etsy but can you tell was she also selling those brushes and maybe mixed up the packages when mailing them? Changing IDs frequently always signals something isn't right to me, though. Good luck, Paypal will probably help you out.

From my experience, and I do shop on Etsy often, the customer service does require you to wait until that posted date to file a claim. This will give the item some time to ship and deliver to you in case there’s a delay.

Then after the date passes, you are free to file the claim if the seller failed to meet your expectations. both you and the seller are required to update either by messages or on the claim for a few days, or until the CS reps steps in. In my case, I had to file a claim for a non-responsive seller who promptly closed up her shop and disappeared with my money. The CS had me wait an extra week before they refunded me on their behalf. They then went after the seller to get her to pay them back.

Despite this issue I still and will continue to shop on Etsy. Just because you ran into one bad apple doesn’t mean all the sellers there are bad. I’ve met many of them who are super sweet, responsive, and make beautiful things. I am very happy with what I have bought on Etsy so far. It’s become my favorite place to shop!

Glad it worked out for you. I once had a parcel delivered to my office from a local vendor. They swore blind that they delivered it, but the package was signed for by Stephanie at "a house". There was no Stephanie working at our company reception. Best of all, I was working at a TV station and this vendor advertised on our channels, but their delivery guy "mistook" a private dwelling for the TV station :rolleyes:

I owe the seller and the forum an apology; a co worker had also ordered a package from Japan-the mail person switched them because he knew I was waiting for one from overseas. I am horrified that I made this mistake. Off to apologize to the seller.

I am so happy for you that it all worked out. There is always a horrible feeling when you purchase something and when it arrives it is WRONG. I personally had a horrible experience on ETSY when buying an antique crystal chandelier. It has turned me off to Etsy every since. The seller was awful. I should have read more reviews. I learned a lesson.

Reactions: whateve
I am so happy for you that it all worked out. There is always a horrible feeling when you purchase something and when it arrives it is WRONG. I personally had a horrible experience on ETSY when buying an antique crystal chandelier. It has turned me off to Etsy every since. The seller was awful. I should have read more reviews. I learned a lesson.
The reviews don't always help. I've seen etsy sellers that sell fakes still have great reviews.

Thank you so much to everyone for not making me feel worse! I actually found this forum many years ago because I was truly scammed on a Garden Party tote. Everyone is still as wonderful here now-how many places can we say that about? (Especially in the cesspool of that social media has become.)

I profusely apologized to the seller and left her great feedback. She was really gracious.

From my experience, and I do shop on Etsy often, the customer service does require you to wait until that posted date to file a claim. This will give the item some time to ship and deliver to you in case there’s a delay.

Then after the date passes, you are free to file the claim if the seller failed to meet your expectations. both you and the seller are required to update either by messages or on the claim for a few days, or until the CS reps steps in. In my case, I had to file a claim for a non-responsive seller who promptly closed up her shop and disappeared with my money. The CS had me wait an extra week before they refunded me on their behalf. They then went after the seller to get her to pay them back.

Despite this issue I still and will continue to shop on Etsy. Just because you ran into one bad apple doesn’t mean all the sellers there are bad. I’ve met many of them who are super sweet, responsive, and make beautiful things. I am very happy with what I have bought on Etsy so far. It’s become my favorite place to shop!
Hi Anthrosphere,
I just saw your post and would like some advice.
I purchased a bag from Etsy on 29/9/18 and have the same experience as yourself. The shop disappeared yesterday and I think I have been scammed. Do I contact Esty straight away or do I have to wait?
As a less experienced shopper on Esty, I have used my credit card direct and not PayPal, so do I need to speak to my credit card company for refund?
Any advice will be appreciated:confused1:

Many thanks:smile:

Hi Anthrosphere,
I purchased a bag from Etsy on 29/9/18 and have the same experience as yourself. The shop disappeared yesterday and I think I have been scammed. Do I contact Esty straight away or do I have to wait?
As a less experienced shopper on Esty, I have used my credit card direct and not PayPal, so do I need to speak to my credit card company for refund?

Call your credit card company right away and file a dispute! Don't wait, call them now.

Hi Anthrosphere,

Sorry for the late response. I’m not on purseforum that much anymore. Anyway, like DaBish said, I recommend filing a CC complaint right away. You can get Etsy involved, but they will take some time to give you your money back (about 1-2 weeks). Try filing a complaint on Etsy first, and then file that CC complaint in case Etsy doesn’t budge. Sorry you’re going through this.

Hi DaBish and Anthrosphere,
For Etsy I have to wait five working days, ie till 5th October before I can file a complain.
I also went to my bank yesterday and explained the situation. As for my credit card, I have to wait 14 days before I can file the complain. The bank manager did reassure me that it was simple case and not to worry about it. The payment through Etsy is encrypted, so I am glad that the scammers did not have my cc details .
Thank you for all your advices and I will keep you posted.
Xxx

Hi Anthrosphere,

Call your credit card company right away and file a dispute! Don't wait, call them now.

Sorry for the late response. I’m not on purseforum that much anymore. Anyway, like DaBish said, I recommend filing a CC complaint right away. You can get Etsy involved, but they will take some time to give you your money back (about 1-2 weeks). Try filing a complaint on Etsy first, and then file that CC complaint in case Etsy doesn’t budge. Sorry you’re going through this.

Hi DaBish and Anthrosphere,
For Etsy I have to wait five working days, ie till 5th October before I can file a complain.
I also went to my bank yesterday and explained the situation. As for my credit card, I have to wait 14 days before I can file the complain. The bank manager did reassure me that it was simple case and not to worry about it. The payment through Etsy is encrypted, so I am glad that the scammers did not have my cc details .
Thank you for all your advices and I will keep you posted.
Xxx
I'm glad you used a credit card to fund the payment but I disagree with the other posters about filing a dispute through them. A credit card dispute should always be the option of last resort.

There can be one of any number of a reasons why a seller/store might be suspended (if that's the case) and it's not always because of a scam. But in this case, it's only been 3 days since you bought and paid so it's quite possible that the seller will send the item.

Give it a week and if you don't get anything, file through Etsy. If you don't get satisfaction/resolution through that, go to Paypal if you used PP. And then, your last option is through the credit card company.

Keep in mind that you have at least 60-90 days (and often longer) to file a c.c. dispute so time is on your side.