Etsy Alchemy knits - replica possible?? HELP!

Sep 25, 2008
Is anyone here knowledgeable about knits - I mean, about the difficulty of reproducing something? I'll attach photos here and am wondering if I have any hope of finding someone able to replicate this sweater (that I missed out on, argh)? Would Etsy Alchemy be a place to try? Does this look technically difficult? Easy? Is there a more appropriate section of the site to be asking this? I'm clueless. Thanks.

sw1.jpg

sw3.jpg

sw2.jpg

I have had amazing luck with Etsy Alchemy with all sorts of items. I'd imagine if you found a very good knitter who can create their own pattern, they could knit this for you. My good friend is an excellent knitter, and I can tell you just from knowing the time involved and cost of good yarn, that recreating this piece is going to cost you.

I am willing to pay for materials AND labour and yes, have now heard it might be pricey. Which is OK as long as I can get it! And as for ripping off a designer item, it's entirely sold out - if I could find this piece retail I would definitely buy it - the only reason I'm looking to have it remade is because it's sold out everywhere.

EDIT: it was on sale for $399 retail, and I would be willing to pay that for a replica, so I don't think I'm undercutting anyone

EDIT EDIT: I've never tried Etsy Alchemy and am a little apprehensive about it (just because I'm not familiar with it) so good to hear of some positive experiences. :smile:

I have not used Etsy Alchemy, but have had custom work done by Etsy sellers. I make sure to check feed back, but everyone I've worked with has been excited to do custom work, friendly, and generally responsive.

That's a cute sweater, creditcardfire! I really like the short front combined with the long back, plus the hood. Do you mind if I ask who the designer/maker is? Maybe they'll do another version next fall/winter. But if you can't wait, there are some really good knitters on etsy - maybe they can replicate some features of the sweater that you like with their own style or take on it. But I agree with needanotherbag, it's going to be quite pricey, especially if you use a good yarn, which you'll probably want in order to get that soft, cozy look and make getting a custom sweater worthwhile.

The designer is Malo. I called the Malo boutiques in the US this afternoon and then finally called the main one in Italy and apparently this is at least over a year old (a couple of SA's said it was over 2 yrs old!) and no longer being made. I checked eBay, too, but of course it isn't there. I hope I can find someone with the skillz to make this! Thanks for replies. :biggrin: