Etoupe or Gold?

jlao

Mar 7, 2008
Hi Everyone! I'm new to the PF and really enjoy reading all the posting. Just like most of you, I have the unfortunate weakness for Hermes, and especially Hermes handbags.

Here's my question: I'm looking to invest in a neutral colour 35 cm Birkin and am torned between Etoupe w/ silver hardware and Gold w/ gold hardware. I already own a 35 cm Birkin but would like to invest in a classic neutral for work. Any suggestions?

JL

I prefer Etoupe to Gold....Just my opinion. I am not great with that color for some weird reason. I think the etoupe is very chic. I do like gold, but not when it's new. I find it more casual looking than etoupe. I wear a lot of black and find it tough to wear the H gold in the bags.

I agree with you HERMESMONKEY. I had a Gold Birkin and thought I'd use it to death but the opposite was true. I use my Etoupe WEB II a WHOLE lot more than I ever used the Gold......and I'm a neutral girl like you.

I had the exact same question November of last year. Long story short, I went for the 30 etoupe birkin. Now this bag is my daily tote-around handbag.

Etoupe is more of a muted, subtle neutral color. It really isn't any color, but blends in with whatever colored outfit I happen to be wearing (its chameleon quality). I don't have to keep switching handbags which makes life much easier. To some people, etoupe is just blah grey, but to me, it's a very elegant color. It's a very French color, I don't know how to explain it.

In terms of light values, etoupe is slightly darker than gold. Gold is sunnier and brighter imo. Keep in mind that gold is a warm color, whereas etoupe is a cool color. You really have to examine your wardrobe and see which suits you better. But both colors are great all year around.

I wear lots of white, grey, and blacks with occasional bright colored tops or scarves. Etoupe works well. Gold I felt introduces another color palette to my overall attire rather than blends in and ties in all the colors together.

I hope this helps. In terms of hardware, I really feel that etoupe has to go with silver hardware, just imo though.

Good luck!:tup:

I am probably going to be of no help here, because I think it depends on what you want to wear your bag with. I have two gold bags but have always wondered about etoupe. Gold works with a lot of my clothes but I don't wear a lot of color. Since I don't own any etoupe I don't know if I would have found it more useful.
I think you should listen to people who own both, like S'mom, as they can really say which is more useful (if your wardrobe's palette resembles theirs).
I also think it's fair to say that although gold goes with so many things, I would add an etoupe with PH Kelly to my collection in an instant if I could find one and could afford one.

I actually don't think gold looks very good on me - somehow there is too much warmth to the tone? Etoupe and browns look far better on me.

Etoupe is indeed a chameleon. It is shown overwhelmingly with PH - and when it is shown with PH, it is a cool neutral. However, I've seen it twice IRL with GH, and (IMO!) etoupe transforms into a *warm* neutral - somehow, the hardware choice seems to pull different tones out of it!

I would recommend test driving both. Gold is more classic - etoupe is more contemporary. But your skin tone and colouring may drive you clearly to one or the other!