Etiquette question: Making an offer after an auction ends

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I did a search and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for so hopefully this question is not repetitive.

I had a bag on my Watch List and was thinking of purchasing it. However I was waiting for one more quote from a consignment store before I proceeded with the sale (I'm selling one bag to buy another). The auction ended with no bids and this morning I got my quote from the last consignment shop.

Is it a good idea to contact the seller and ask if they would sell it to me at the beginning auction price (no one bid on it so if I had bid, I would have won it)? Is it tacky to ask for some $$ off (this bag is expensive but would love to get a couple of hundred dollars off as it's vintage and not in the best condition? so I would have to clean it up)? If they are willing, can I ask them to just list it as a BIN so I can purchase outright?

This might be a moot point if the seller doesn't want to sell but would love to get your expert opinions. Thank you so much for your help.

2. It really depends on the seller. Some are open to that sort of thing. Others will block you right away just for asking.

Definitely do not point out that you think the bag is "not in the best condition". If you make an offer be polite and just offer a number.

3. I would send her message saying that you noticed that the bag wasn't sold and that you are interested. Ask her if she is still interested in selling and if she is open to offers. And if she agrees she can list it as a BIN and let you know when the listing is up. It is a bit tricky because someone could jump in ahead of you but not likely if you know when to look for it.

It is an easy question to answer and doesn't put her on the spot so I really don't see any harm in asking. If she blocks you for that, you probably don't want to deal with her anyway.

4. Agree here. If you don't ask you won't know how receptive the
    seller might be to your offer & you are probably not the only one
    who may be asking the seller either..

Good luck on getting the bag

5. If she agrees to your price, have her list the bag at some extremely high Buy It Now price with the Best Offer option. Then she can wait for your agreed offer and accept, ending the auction only for you.

6. Thank you for your advice. It's good to know that this wouldn't be viewed as tacky or offensive. I'll be very polite in my email and hopefully she will be interested in pursuing it further. Thank you for your opinions. Great idea on the BIN with BO. Thank you.

7. This!