Ethical question...

Yes, you are not only hurting your relationship with your SA , you are also hurting your reputation. Probably your store was very lax with returns and that's why you asked because otherwise you'd be embarrassed to even suggest such a thing.

I'd just keep them and try to use them. After all you liked them enough to buy them at retail price in the first place or you can make some niece or friend's daughter very happy with a cool Bal bag.

X.

I have to agree with everyone saying this is their luxury shopping nightmare, though. It's not right at H&M, it's not right at Balenciaga, Chanel or any other brand. When we pay for new, we want spanking new. Buying used is a different matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: eunaddict
I would be so upset to pay thousands of dollars for something that I thought was new but really had been used even once and sitting in someone’s closet for almost a year. I’ve never worked retail, but as a consumer I’ve always found Nordstrom’s ‘return anything’ policy ridiculous.

With all due respect, I don’t know what you expected asking this question from a group of shopping/handbag enthusiasts, whether they buy new or preloved. I didn’t find any of their comments “ugly,” just honest.

Last November i bought 2 Balenciaga City bags from Nordstrom. Total was over $5k. I have used each bag a total of 1x. I find that i never reach for them in favor of other bags. I texted my SA this morning to let her know i wanted to return them. She said I could not because they had been used. I said they have only been carried once and look brand new, and i wanted to try to return them anyway. Her response was that it's against their return policy and "not cool."
So here is my question...do i risk hurting my relationship with her and try to return anyway? Is there a chance she is going to flag my account to alert the store to not take my returns if I try? I read the return policy and it basically says they will take any return for pretty much any reason, unless it is a "special occasion dress or designer item." So do I just take my lumps since these are designer bags? I hate to lose $5k over bags that have are basically still new, and I know i won't get nearly that much back by selling online. Advice??
OP, I don’t think you were trying to get away with something; I think you were feeling the pain of having paid out a lot of money for something that turned out to be a mistake for you, and you were sending out a last-ditch distress call for anything that might make you feel it was ok to return the items. But you already knew it wasn’t ok, like most of us would. You were just hoping against hope! I’ve made (MANY) purchasing mistakes myself. In the UK, even if I were so inclined, returning anything, completely unused, past the return period, usually about a month, would be normally impossible (if I’m a particularly good and regular customer they might offer a little goodwill latitude on occasion; thank you, Mytheresa and Net-a-Porter!). Anything used even once, and with absolutely no sign of use, unless faulty, would not be returnable and anyway, for myself, I wouldn’t feel ok to think of trying, even if the official rules were laxer. I would be feeling ethically committed to ensuring the business I bought from was not taken advantage of, and that no future customer buying goods as new was in fact not getting what they believed they were getting, but something used, however free of signs of use. It’s not the same as legitimately returning things that have been tried on at home for fit, suitability, etc., if ordered online, within the specified returns window, in the same way as something tried on in store is not ‘used’. I understand that some return policies in US stores are more ‘liberal’ than in the UK/EU, where there would normally be a strict time limit, and an absolute stipulation that anything that has been used is not returnable in any timeframe unless flawed or unfit for purpose in its reasonable lifespan. I’d feel very wrong about trying to return anything I’d used, but which was not faulty, however unsullied it appeared. And additionally, as a basic practical matter militating against the return of used but unmarked goods, in the EU it’s most common for a seller’s tag, indicative of non-use, to be required to be still attached unless the return is related to faultiness. Perhaps this also pertains with some US retailers, but there does appear to be a slightly different culture whereby some US retailers accept returns more broadly, then maybe sell them later discounted, if I’ve understood it correctly. That’s up to them, and if your retailer indicated such a return was possible at the point of purchase, they should honour that, and you should fight for it; but if that was not the case, yes, I would absolutely feel I had to take the hit. I quite often sell at a loss that I accept things I’ve only ever tried on once at home and never worn, if the return period has expired; if I’ve worn or used just once with no signs of use at all, I sell on, on a resale platform, with a clear statement that this is the case — the item has been used, but is still as good as new. I really do sympathise with your agony over money wasted. It’s painful. You can re-sell with full disclosure and recoup some of your outlay. That’s my solution. Meantime I also try to stop making the mistakes in the first place (in my case, quite evidently easier said than done, or Vestiaire Collective wouldn’t be doing quite so well out of me!).

OP, I don’t think you were trying to get away with something; I think you were feeling the pain of having paid out a lot of money for something that turned out to be a mistake for you, and you were sending out a last-ditch distress call for anything that might make you feel it was ok to return the items. But you already knew it wasn’t ok, like most of us would. You were just hoping against hope! I’ve made (MANY) purchasing mistakes myself. In the UK, even if I were so inclined, returning anything, completely unused, past the return period, usually about a month, would be normally impossible (if I’m a particularly good and regular customer they might offer a little goodwill latitude on occasion; thank you, Mytheresa and Net-a-Porter!). Anything used even once, and with absolutely no sign of use, unless faulty, would not be returnable and anyway, for myself, I wouldn’t feel ok to think of trying, even if the official rules were laxer. I would be feeling ethically committed to ensuring the business I bought from was not taken advantage of, and that no future customer buying goods as new was in fact not getting what they believed they were getting, but something used, however free of signs of use. It’s not the same as legitimately returning things that have been tried on at home for fit, suitability, etc., if ordered online, within the specified returns window, in the same way as something tried on in store is not ‘used’. I understand that some return policies in US stores are more ‘liberal’ than in the UK/EU, where there would normally be a strict time limit, and an absolute stipulation that anything that has been used is not returnable in any timeframe unless flawed or unfit for purpose in its reasonable lifespan. I’d feel very wrong about trying to return anything I’d used, but which was not faulty, however unsullied it appeared. And additionally, as a basic practical matter militating against the return of used but unmarked goods, in the EU it’s most common for a seller’s tag, indicative of non-use, to be required to be still attached unless the return is related to faultiness. Perhaps this also pertains with some US retailers, but there does appear to be a slightly different culture whereby some US retailers accept returns more broadly, then maybe sell them later discounted, if I’ve understood it correctly. That’s up to them, and if your retailer indicated such a return was possible at the point of purchase, they should honour that, and you should fight for it; but if that was not the case, yes, I would absolutely feel I had to take the hit. I quite often sell at a loss that I accept things I’ve only ever tried on once at home and never worn, if the return period has expired; if I’ve worn or used just once with no signs of use at all, I sell on, on a resale platform, with a clear statement that this is the case — the item has been used, but is still as good as new. I really do sympathise with your agony over money wasted. It’s painful. You can re-sell with full disclosure and recoup some of your outlay. That’s my solution. Meantime I also try to stop making the mistakes in the first place (in my case, quite evidently easier said than done, or Vestiaire Collective wouldn’t be doing quite so well out of me!).
:wave: Annie! Agree. Return policies in the EU are quite strict, but who needs more than two weeks to try on at home and return something you bought in a store or online? US return policies seem far too lax. But maybe that's just certain stores. I can't imagine Chanel US would allow it. And :tup: for huge tags once off- no return unless item is faulty, the larger the better :smile:

:wave: Annie! Agree. Return policies in the EU are quite strict, but who needs more than two weeks to try on at home and return something you bought in a store or online? US return policies seem far too lax. But maybe that's just certain stores. I can't imagine Chanel US would allow it. And :tup: for huge tags once off- no return unless item is faulty, the larger the better :smile:
:wave:

Last November i bought 2 Balenciaga City bags from Nordstrom. Total was over $5k. I have used each bag a total of 1x. I find that i never reach for them in favor of other bags. I texted my SA this morning to let her know i wanted to return them. She said I could not because they had been used. I said they have only been carried once and look brand new, and i wanted to try to return them anyway. Her response was that it's against their return policy and "not cool."
So here is my question...do i risk hurting my relationship with her and try to return anyway? Is there a chance she is going to flag my account to alert the store to not take my returns if I try? I read the return policy and it basically says they will take any return for pretty much any reason, unless it is a "special occasion dress or designer item." So do I just take my lumps since these are designer bags? I hate to lose $5k over bags that have are basically still new, and I know i won't get nearly that much back by selling online. Advice??
It appears to me that you are hell bent on returning your two purses even when you were already told by your SA that that is "against their policy and what you are trying to do is uncool as well". But as a buyer of luxury items too, I am hoping that I will never be given an item that the boutique claims to be brand new, when in fact it was already used and returned by a client like you..many months later. I am sure if the tables were turned, you will be very upset too.
I am shocked that you even had the audacity to text your SA about it..and the only thing that is making you think twice about returning it is the fact that you can be possibly "flagged".
Moving forward, I hope you learned that luxury items are not really investments, and that it's only wise to buy them if you truly love them and have money to burn.

Reactions: lulilu
Trying to return a used item because you have buyers remorse is unethical. If you don’t like them sell them regain what you can and keep it in mind for your next handbag purchase that this style/size/color/whatever doesn’t work for you. Is it a expensive lesson yes but it will help you down the line. I used to be very frivolous in my handbag shopping now I have a mental check list and if it doesn’t hit everything on it, it’s a pass.

Reactions: 1941cny
I would think it is going to be very hard for you to return anything to Nordies in the future. You advised your SA of what you were thinking of doing. You might get flagged in their system.

Perhaps this is exactly what the OP deserves to be "flagged".
If I was a SA I would not think twice about this action. Who needs a customer like this at the end of day?
There is more than enough competition amongst the stores with gift card promos, double, triplepoints, etc
SA's work hard & try to go above & beyond to make a sale, a buyer like this is not worth their time, IMO

I believe the SA would learn of any return OP carried out with another SA/store -- doesn't it show up on her commission statements? Then she's really screwed.

I am curious as to whether a returned item like this would be put on the floor or sent to NR? I once exchanged a pair of Uggs that were absolutely brand new that I bought for my GD at the big summer sale. I got them for her birthday, which was only a couple of months later. When she tried them on, we were worried she would outgrow them before winter was over so I went to get the next size. The SA tossed them on the back counter; I asked her why and she said "well, they are clearly used." I was mortified, especially because they were never used at all. Just tried on for a few minutes at home. So, it seems to me that often stuff gets sent to NR when it is returned even a couple of months after it was purchased -- which means N loses money on them.

Shoppers like OP are why Saks and now NM have a 30 day return policy.

Last edited:
Reactions: itsmree
I believe the SA would learn of any return OP carried out with another SA/store -- doesn't it show up on her commission statements? Then she's really screwed.

I am curious as to whether a returned item like this would be put on the floor or sent to NR? I once exchanged a pair of Uggs that were absolutely brand new that I bought for my GD at the big summer sale. I got them for her birthday, which was only a couple of months later. When she tried them on, we were worried she would outgrow them before winter was over so I went to get the next size. The SA tossed them on the back counter; I asked her why and she said "well, they are clearly used." I was mortified, especially because they were never used at all. Just tried on for a few minutes at home. So, it seems to me that often stuff gets sent to NR when it is returned even a couple of months after it was purchased -- which means N loses money on them.

Shoppers like OP are why Saks and now NM have a 30 day return policy.

My understanding is that the majority of stores are cracking down on their liberal return policies & sticking to them
Shoppers are flagged for their bad habits & wonder when other posters come here & say they are "banned"
are they really sharing the full story. There are abusive shoppers who have a sense of entitlement because of
how much they spend.. phooey!!

No wonder return policies have gotten stricter! I could understand if the items were less than 30 days old, but almost a year since the purchase and you want to return? This is no better than the person that buys an outfit for a special occasion, wears it once and returns back to the store because they don’t need anymore. Then some poor soul like myself comes along and pays full price for your misfit items! Grrrrr!

I think at this point, we can all agree it is unethical. That aside, no one has brought up that the person taking the most direct hit is the SA. With department stores, the person working the counter, brand, section/area, whatever it is, they usually have quotas to meet. By returning $5k of merchandise, you take away from the quota of the SA. If she was having a bad month, quarter, year, whatever, your $5k return could really hurt her position at work.