Ethan Allen arhaus pottery barn restoration hardware

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Hi all - I need some new living room furniture and have been looking at furniture from these places. Has anyone bought recently from these stores? How are you liking the sofas? Are they holding up and how is the customer service? I've been leaning toward Ethan Allen but like some of the couch styles I've seen at other stores. My main concern is quality; I want something that will last at least ten years. I've read that restoration hardware and pottery barn when you open up their furniture isnt the quality you expect (2006 smart money article). At Ethan Allen I've been eyeing the Emerson and Mansfield collection and the Kensington at RH. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

2. Hi I can speak on restoration hardware. I moved into a new home in 2013 and purchases custom bar stools, entertainment center, light fixtures, bed, bedding, lamps, entry table, and bookcase from them. Overall the quality for me was as I expected. I haven't had any issues with any of it. Hope this helps

3. I purchased a lot of items from RH when we moved a few years ago - custom sofa, leather chaise, leather wingback, bench, bistro table, 72" dining table and 8 parson chairs (and too many decorative accessories to list). Overall the quality is above average. I really prefer the look of RH so that was the main component. However, I would rank Ethan Allen's quality over RH. We tried for EA but nothing for the look I wanted. We did purchase a loveseat, ottoman, side table and chair for our library from EA. The quality is better. I'm not a huge fan of Pottery Barn - I have some pieces of furniture from 10-15 years ago that have held up very well but the newer items seem to be of a lesser quality IMHO. The style of furniture also did not fit our more contemporary-modern home when we moved so it did not have much of an impact on our decision.

Best of luck - be sure to use their free design services. We found a few things we would have never purchased with their help.

4. I would also look into Mitchell Gold and Lee Industries seating. Look on their websites to find a local dealer.

5. I bought a leather sofa and chair from EA in 2000. Both still look great and have held up very well for 16 years (and counting), so I'd say they are excellent quality.

6. I purchased a huge Armoire from Ethan Allen and paid over 5k, I'm not impressed with the quality after 2 years as well as the customer service. I actually had to call the corporate office and complain after being promised by the store they would come out and adjust the crooked doors. My furniture purchase from Ashley Furniture has held up incredibly well after 8 years.

Ethan Allen has declined in quality in my opinion.

7. Ordered my living room upholstered furniture from ethan allen.
    Has been almost 10 years, now.
    Because could pick exact fabrics wanted on exact pieces/shapes.
    And could find normal sized sofa--not enormous, oversized.

They will fix errors & nonsense. If you go above store level. Into head office management.
    And they will fix them quickly.

Has lasted well, due to my fabric choices.
    The associate will want to set up idea rooms for you, to sell rugs/extras.
    And to put together patterns/colors. Which were trendy & bit useless, imo.(may depend upon associate)
    But, from these, you can grab bits for own style.
    Take samples of your existing colors, materials, etc. for comparison. And measure space /pieces carefully.
    And be firm about what is wanted, function-wise. Unless you want a room full of maintenance nightmare.

Would I choose them again?
    Only if, as before, could not find size/materials needed elsewhere.
    For comparable prices.
    Best luck. :smile:

8. Thanks everyone for your feedback.