Estate Auction - Advice

B4GBuff

Feb 1, 2019
if you had a chance to bid at a live estate auction (not online) where a Chanel beige/gold python classic double flap was being auctioned off, would you take the plunge?

I know that Chanel stopped making exotic bags, does that increase the value? How many of this exact bag would have been made in this size / colour? What would be the maximum you’d bid? I have come into a bit of extra cash and would like to make the investment... not only that this exact bag happens to be my one true dream bag.

Tradsey has one of the same listed currently for 15,000.00 but I think that I can get the auction one for a lot lower given the location and most people will be after the jewellery etc.
I think / hope LOL

It’s this bag (not the one in the pic but same colour etc.) the pic is the one on Tradsey... but it’s the same bag I am sure.
FC6CD9C6-0681-454F-8D85-7C91E0447D61.jpeg

Reactions: Flip88
So, are you buying the bag because it's your dream bag or because you think it'll be a good investment? If it's because you love the bag, go for it! But if you think you're going to be able to make some cash out of this...bags aren't investments.

I wouldn't use the Tradesy list price as any sort of indicator of the real value of this bag.

Well yeah it’s my dream bag. But hoping it would retain its value too. Telling hubby it’s a good investment LOL It will certainly be rare now that Python has been stopped by Chanel right?

So how much would you go into the auction with as a maximum? It seems to be in near perfect condition with only very minor wear on the hardware.

I feel like exotics are not very well sought after, I always see them on display for the longest time and when I called to enquire about the minis the only ones left were the exotics. I personally dont feel they are as good as an investment piece as opposed to the iridescent ones

I think it is a common misconception to assume that the rarity of a bag increases its value. Whereas one fact that actually proves bags are not an investor/collector market is that generally the bags that best keep their value are the ones still in production and subject to price increases (in the case of Chanel the classic flaps). There are only a very few unique special edition pieces that may command a high collectors price, but this is not one of them.

So, I'd say, this bag will keep value in so far as it is a Chanel flap. The fact that Chanel is discontinuing exotics won't have an impact in my view (the reason they are discontinuing them is that they are less popular anyway, so it may even play against...). Of course, if you get it for a much lower price that what is selling for in consignment sites, and depending on condition, it will be a good deal.

if you had a chance to bid at a live estate auction (not online) where a Chanel beige/gold python classic double flap was being auctioned off, would you take the plunge?

I know that Chanel stopped making exotic bags, does that increase the value? How many of this exact bag would have been made in this size / colour? What would be the maximum you’d bid? I have come into a bit of extra cash and would like to make the investment... not only that this exact bag happens to be my one true dream bag.

Tradsey has one of the same listed currently for 15,000.00 but I think that I can get the auction one for a lot lower given the location and most people will be after the jewellery etc.
I think / hope LOL

It’s this bag (not the one in the pic but same colour etc.) the pic is the one on Tradsey... but it’s the same bag I am sure.
View attachment 4368566
I think it is truly beautiful. If you have the funds then, life is short, so.... YES!! It's such a shame Chanel are to stop using exotic leathers. I'd love to own this piece.

Exotics have a far more limited audience so the pieces generally just hold value (or decrease) rather than go higher. And, tbh, Chanel is not the premiere maker of exotics (Hermes and Gucci and some lesser-known designers are better and collectors know this), so if you're buying it hoping to get an investment... no. If it's your dream bag and you love it, then yes.

Reactions: jellyv
I think it is truly beautiful. If you have the funds then, life is short, so.... YES!! It's such a shame Chanel are to stop using exotic leathers. I'd love to own this piece.

It’s an auction so, I’m not guaranteed. But I have a good chance based on living in an area where ‘expensive handbag’ generally means Coach or MK. And most people going to auctions go for jewellery (real gold only) and vehicles and rarely artwork if it’s super special.

I just don’t want to pay more than it’s worth that’s why I asked what is a good top figure to go into it with?? I know Tradsey and other sites like that are overcharging. I found a few similar but different colours in the 10k range. For an auction I am thinking 7-8k max. In any case I only have 10k total to play with. Fingers crossed for me!!! I love exotics as well. I don’t have much experience with Chanel other than a classic flap black lamb which was willed to me. Mostly I have Coach (higher end) with genuine snakeskin and a few other mid level brands with exotic details.

Exotics have a far more limited audience so the pieces generally just hold value (or decrease) rather than go higher. And, tbh, Chanel is not the premiere maker of exotics (Hermes and Gucci and some lesser-known designers are better and collectors know this), so if you're buying it hoping to get an investment... no. If it's your dream bag and you love it, then yes.

For me what makes it perfect is the combo of exotic but in the classic flap chain bag shape. I don’t plan to sell it actually... but plans do change sometimes due to need and just hope it would at least keep its value.

Be aware that python is a very delicate and high maintenance exotic. The scales lift even without much use (just getting your bag in the dust bag over time can do it, because it keeps rubbing the scales the opposite way. I recommend you wrap the bag with a piece of tissue papper from the box then put it inside the dustbag so the scales don’t rub against anything).
If this is your only exotic, I’d go for a crocodile or alligator instead.

Reactions: LadyInLA
I got it!!!! And I’m sooooo happy! Nobody else bid so I got it for the start bid of 3500 CAD.

See the March 19 haul for first pic :smile: it was actually more of a grey with gold over it. I had thought it looked beige from their advertisement. So it kind of has an iridescent grey / gold colour. It’s beautiful!

Side note: I also got a pair of Tiffany lamps for my Mother :smile:

I agree that exotics aren’t sought after. I’ve never bat an eye at them because they’re just not for me although the look of stingray (which is not even really exotic I guess) is starting to warm up to my tastes. Anyway, my thought is that exotics aren’t always up on people’s wishlist but if you love it and the price is right, then why not!

Reactions: lvchanellvr
I got it!!!! And I’m sooooo happy! Nobody else bid so I got it for the start bid of 3500 CAD.

See the March 19 haul for first pic :smile: it was actually more of a grey with gold over it. I had thought it looked beige from their advertisement. So it kind of has an iridescent grey / gold colour. It’s beautiful!

Side note: I also got a pair of Tiffany lamps for my Mother :smile:
Congratulations!
That’s a steal and it’s a beautiful bag that will always be a timeless classic that if you take good care of she should last you a long time. Enjoy her!