Essie Nail Polish in Mint Candy Apple

sparklyseahorse

Tater Salad
Apr 10, 2007
Review: I bought this the other day thinking it was a wonderful Spring color to try out, especially on my toes. The color is gorgeous, in my opinion, but went on like some office White Out. It was very difficult to make it look even, and seemed to have a very thick consistency (even after shaking the bottle for a while!), and just didn't seem to justify the cost.. I hope I did not get a bad batch, but I'll be sticking to Sally Hansen from now on- if only they'd have that color!
Store: Ulta
Price: Around $8.00

I use mine and at first, I experienced the streakiness... this is how I solved it:

1. base coat
2. I put more than I need so it's easier to work with because thin layers dry too fast to properly blend. It might be thicker and take a little longer to dry but the results are much prettier.

Unfortunately, I had used a base coat and top coat when I put on the Essie, but it still went on very thick and uneven, and looked odd after it dried.
UPDATE: I did find *almost* the the same color in the Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear in "Mint Sorbet" 340. Went on great, and stayed on my toes for a week and a half until I decided to change it up. It even stayed on through water sports I do about 4x a week, plus living in flip flops 24/7. The down side is, it took A LOT of nail polish remover to get it off, so this stuff requires much commitment to the color, or you'll be using the nasty chemical polish remover stuff. Wish I could find an "eco" remover other than a power sander- it gets nasty when I miss....:sad:

I have this colour too and it is a bit streaky when first applied but mine evens out by the end. I used both an OPI topcoat and Seche Vite with it, and a base coat, either an ORLY bonder or an OPI something, and both were fine.

Glad you found another colour that works better for you though!

I love this color and I find about 3 coats with a good topcoat and it looks nice---but I agree the formula isn't great and it takes some time to get used to the application.

Unfortunately, I had used a base coat and top coat when I put on the Essie, but it still went on very thick and uneven, and looked odd after it dried.
UPDATE: I did find *almost* the the same color in the Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear in "Mint Sorbet" 340. Went on great, and stayed on my toes for a week and a half until I decided to change it up. It even stayed on through water sports I do about 4x a week, plus living in flip flops 24/7. The down side is, it took A LOT of nail polish remover to get it off, so this stuff requires much commitment to the color, or you'll be using the nasty chemical polish remover stuff. Wish I could find an "eco" remover other than a power sander- it gets nasty when I miss....:sad:
I love the sally hansen xtreme wear! its the majority of my nail polish collection. I use nail polish remover wipes wen i need to remove my polish, they work really really well and if you dont use the whole pad you can always wrap them up in the little aluminum package they came in and theyll still stay wet if u wrap them up good enough :smile: