Essential pieces for a true purse collection

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Are there essential pieces that one should have if they are truly collecting handbags? If so, what in your opinion are they?

2. No such a thing as essentials as everyone are just different... from taste to lifestyles.

3. For me personally, a chanel classic flap, a LV speedy, a balenciaga city, and a gucci horsebit chain hobo and bouvier or Jackie O hobo.

4. ^^
    ^^
    ^^
    ^^
    ^^

add spy bag, balenciaga work and black prada too

5. :tup:

6. I think this is just really personal, if everyone's collections were the same, we wouldn't need the Bag Showcase thread! I do think it's nice to have a wide variety of styles/colors/brands, but others prefer to just collect many styles in one brand.

I don't think there's anything you must have in your collection, because not everyone's going to like everything. For me, I would never buy a spy bag, that's just not my taste, and I wouldn't want someone telling me my purse collection was incomplete without it.

7. I agree that "key pieces" are extremely subjective as it relates to specific bags or designers.

8. IMO, the idea that you must have certain bags, I assume you mean certain brands as well, doesn't really appeal to me, as it smacks of being brand conscious and following popular consensus of IT bags and all.

I learned this the expensive way, when I was much younger, I bought quite a few LV bags as this was THE brand to carry where I'm at, but now they're just sitting in my wardrobe. After collecting bags for a while, I realise I have a strong fetish for bags with great slouchy soft leather, which I use all the time instead. Now I buy bags with great leather texture across brands/price ranges. :tup: those bags now make up my essential collection.

To answer your question , certain handbags which may be collectible may be Hermes Birkin and Chanel 2.55 which are deemed timeless/classic, but you would need to maintain them in great condition. :smile: