Ergo pleated leather vs patent pleated satchel...which is the right choice for me??

baglady39

L E G A C Y
O.G.
Sep 15, 2007
Anyone have BOTH of these??? I just got back from the boutique where I had my choice of leather satchels (in all colors), YAY!! YES, I was a BAD girl, lol!! Just wonder if I made the right decision to get a leather rather than a patent one, though??

The white was nice, but I just bought a couple of white bags recently, so it was between the burnt orange and the natural. I do have to agree with the SAs that told me about the scratches on the natural bag a couple of weeks ago at another store...the scratches did look very odd and noticeable for some reason, at least the bag I looked at today. Not like my camel Lily where they kind of blend into the leather and look almost natural. I suppose this can be taken care of with Apple, but I decided that it just wasn't me, so I ended up with the burnt orange that I had reserved.

I do love the color...BUT...honestly, I don't care for the way it looks without the packing materials. Their bags were not stuffed very heavily, and I think they had a chance to wrinkle pretty badly as a result of being squashed. I also think it gets very "wrinkled" because the leather is fairly thin. Guess I'm used to the thick Legacy leather, lol!

So I wonder if the patent leather would be a better choice for me??? I do realize the patent has a crinkle effect, but it's kind of supposed to be there (rather than simply looking like I slept on top of the bag, which the leather one does... if that makes sense, lol!). For those of you that have BOTH the leather and patent satchels, can you please let me know how stiff the patent is relative to the leather version?? Does the patent wrinkle up this bad?? The thing is the patent satchels were all in transit today, and won't hit my store till Monday....so I was not able to look at them. :sad: I purchased the leather one and will keep the tags on till I decide if I can deal with it. I'll try to stuff it with more packing materials and see if that helps too.

Thanks in advance for any info and advice!! :tup:

I went today and they didn't get the hobos or totes yet but I did see the orange satchel and it was a relly pretty color, is that what you got the orange?

Yeah, I got the orange one, and fortunately, my SA had picked out one with a nice grain and a darker shade for me. It was darker than the return I had seen at this other store a couple of weeks ago. It's a beautiful bag, but I'm just not loving the thin leather and how it wrinkles. Or phrasing it another way, I like the way it looks much better when it's stuffed really full with the packing materials.

Yeah, I got the orange one, and fortunately, my SA had picked out one with a nice grain and a darker shade for me. It was darker than the return I had seen at this other store a couple of weeks ago. It's a beautiful bag, but I'm just not loving the thin leather and how it wrinkles. Or phrasing it another way, I like the way it looks much better when it's stuffed really full with the packing materials.

See and I like the thin leather and the wrinkles, it's like it's worn in already! LOL! The Patent doesn't look like the crinkly kind. They had some reular patent ergo totes in the store today in mahogany and pond and they are really crinkly.

See and I like the thin leather and the wrinkles, it's like it's worn in already! LOL! The Patent doesn't look like the crinkly kind. They had some reular patent ergo totes in the store today in mahogany and pond and they are really crinkly.

Yeah, that's true! I think I just didn't like the way it was squashed TBH...maybe I'll get used to it. I just put my stuff in it, and it's better since it weights it down some. I don't know...sometimes there's just no pleasing me, lol! The leather is beautiful on this one, though...I do LOVE that aspect!

Hmm, not sure what advice to offer you. I dont really pack my bag full (even though there is a good amount of stuff in there - its a really large bag inside, isnt it?). When it sits on the shelf or next to me someplace, I guess it does kinda squish down a bit and wrinkle a little. I think maybe its the weight of the gold frame w/the kisslock on such a lightweight bag. But I dont think it looks bad at all, and when its on my shoulder its even more perfect. If you dont really love it, then definitely think about taking it back, but give it a few days and wear it w/your stuff in it around the house. I have a feeling you may regret returning it, and then they wont be available. As far as patent goes, I thought I read that someone here said the patent squished and didnt hold its shape as well as the leather, so that the opposite of what you want to happen. Let us know what you decide!!

Hmm, not sure what advice to offer you. I dont really pack my bag full (even though there is a good amount of stuff in there - its a really large bag inside, isnt it?). When it sits on the shelf or next to me someplace, I guess it does kinda squish down a bit and wrinkle a little. I think maybe its the weight of the gold frame w/the kisslock on such a lightweight bag. But I dont think it looks bad at all, and when its on my shoulder its even more perfect. If you dont really love it, then definitely think about taking it back, but give it a few days and wear it w/your stuff in it around the house. I have a feeling you may regret returning it, and then they wont be available. As far as patent goes, I thought I read that someone here said the patent squished and didnt hold its shape as well as the leather, so that the opposite of what you want to happen. Let us know what you decide!!

Thank you so much for the info, donnalynn! It's been hard for me to keep up with the posts as of late, and I had not read that about the patent version. This is exactly the info I'm looking for.

I also don't fill my bags full, and yes, it's actually a larger bag than one might imagine. I generally prefer large bags, so that's a good thing. I also had the same problem initially with my xl lily, as it slouches quite a bit and I wasn't sure I cared for that. It took me a while to realize I loved it. In this case, I think I expect the pleats to collapse, but I feel that the bag was wrinkled either in transit or at the store from improper storage. In other words, it looks like when you wad up your clothing, or sleep in it over night..especially linen. Then I don't like it on my shoulder, especially at the sides around the frame. Hopefully the extra packing and letting it sit that way a few days will help. I guess it's not unlike the way some Ebay sellers wad up your bags in the mailers, which drives me NUTS!

Honestly, though, I'm not sure this style is quite "me"...it will take me a bit to see if I like it, and usually what happens is either I will fall in love with it or decide it has to go back. I think it looks great on everyone else. DH does not care for the bag at all..he said it looks like an "old lady" bag. I don't think I would call it old lady (especially with the orange color), but there's something about it that has me uncertain as well....possibly not a "unique enough" style for me. I'll keep it for a few days, though, especially because I know you're right in that it won't be available! Thanks again for the info!

Thank you so much for the info, donnalynn! It's been hard for me to keep up with the posts as of late, and I had not read that about the patent version. This is exactly the info I'm looking for.

I also don't fill my bags full, and yes, it's actually a larger bag than one might imagine. I generally prefer large bags, so that's a good thing. I also had the same problem initially with my xl lily, as it slouches quite a bit and I wasn't sure I cared for that. It took me a while to realize I loved it. In this case, I think I expect the pleats to collapse, but I feel that the bag was wrinkled either in transit or at the store from improper storage. In other words, it looks like when you wad up your clothing, or sleep in it over night..especially linen. Then I don't like it on my shoulder, especially at the sides around the frame. Hopefully the extra packing and letting it sit that way a few days will help. I guess it's not unlike the way some Ebay sellers wad up your bags in the mailers, which drives me NUTS!

Honestly, though, I'm not sure this style is quite "me"...it will take me a bit to see if I like it, and usually what happens is either I will fall in love with it or decide it has to go back. I think it looks great on everyone else. DH does not care for the bag at all..he said it looks like an "old lady" bag. I don't think I would call it old lady (especially with the orange color), but there's something about it that has me uncertain as well....possibly not a "unique enough" style for me. I'll keep it for a few days, though, especially because I know you're right in that it won't be available! Thanks again for the info!

You are very welcome! Not every bag is for everybody, so definitely dont be influenced by anyone but you (not even your DH! Mine doesnt like mine either - he said to my son "oh we have to be seen in public with Mommy and her orange bag - at least we wont lose her in a crowd!") I'm sure Coach will come out again in two months with more goodies, so if you dont like it you can get a merch credit and just wait for something you KNOW you like, not something you are hoping you will end up liking. Ive found that rarely happens - your first instinct is usually right on. Good luck deciding!!!