EPI Multiple Wallet or ZCP?

Toby1992

Sep 7, 2013
Hello all!

I was hoping to get your opinion on what I should do! I've done a lot of research beforehand and am still confused as to which I should keep.

Here's the story:
I purchased the EPI multiple wallet not too long ago (2 months to be exact) and somehow it has a tiny rip in the leather already. After contacting LV, I was told I could either exchange it or get a refund for the product. I have done my best to take care of the wallet (ie. Never putting it in my pant pockets, putting it in the pouch after use, and cleaning it weekly)…That being said, it still suffered a rip as well as a few scuff marks.

So with that in mind, I'm wondering whether or not I should exchange the wallet for a new one or refund it and get a ZCP (was going to be purchased anyway). My confidence with EPI has obviously lowered, so I'm wondering if that is still the best decision. I chose the EPI because of its timeless and simple design, but if this is the result of EPI, I will definitely be staying away!

Thanks for all the help! :lol:

boyoverboard

Obsessed and in LoVe
O.G.
Feb 9, 2010
Honestly, I've read so much about Epi being very durable but I haven't always had that experience with it myself. I have an Epi 6-key holder, I was careful with it as I am with all my things and within a year of use the corners had peeled and cracked. It was slight but I stopped using it and began using a canvas holder instead. I now have another canvas key holder but both are holding up very well indeed. I used my Round GM in Monogram canvas for over a year, and I've been using my current Damier Ebene 4-key for about nine months - both look pretty much brand new. I have other small Epi pieces that are holding up nicely, but for items that will see a lot of use, I don't recommend Epi. Canvas is much more durable, in my opinion.

citizentwill

Nov 7, 2013
All the evidence i have been reading online points to this leather is quite poor.

I may be wrong but i think tye claim its kind of stregthened leather that makes it more durable, but i have seen so many pictures of where the edges of wallets and purses where the piping splits, i think thats a very common issue with that line.

lets face it, this is the cheapest leather option they offer (i think) or one of the cheapest above canvas.

You have to pay twice as much for one of there more expensive and i assume, betetr quality leathers so that speaks volumes about this Epi to me...

Toby1992

Sep 7, 2013
Thanks for your opinions! :smile:

I was under the impression that EPI was really durable, but I guess not. It's just frustrating to shell out that much money on a wallet that already has a rip in it after 2 months of careful use. :nogood:

Just looking for more inputs before I make my decision! The coated canvas looks tempting!

Toby1992

Sep 7, 2013
While browsing the LV site, I noticed they have the multiple wallet in Nomade! Have any of you experienced the Nomade material? After doing a quick search, it apparently scratches easily! But I do love the colour of it. Or would I be better off staying something like the canvas?

jellyv

O.G.
Mar 29, 2006
All the evidence i have been reading online points to this leather is quite poor.

I may be wrong but

Epi wallets are very durable, as are the bags. I like canvas and Vernis wallets too--and you will find batches of people stressing online about Vernis, despite the fact that it's very hardy. LV wallets are great quality, superior quality, on the whole.

I've had Epi, Vernis, Mat Vernis, and canvas and have loved all of them.

Last edited:

clu13

Shoe and Bag Addict
O.G.
Oct 12, 2008

I may be wrong but i think tye claim its kind of stregthened leather that makes it more durable, but i have seen so many pictures of where the edges of wallets and purses where the piping splits, i think thats a very common issue with that line.

lets face it, this is the cheapest leather option they offer (i think) or one of the cheapest above canvas.

You have to pay twice as much for one of there more expensive and i assume, betetr quality leathers so that speaks volumes about this Epi to me...

Epi has been around since 1985 so it's price reflects the introduction of the line while later lines were introduced when the boom of LV occurred. Nothing from LV actually reflects the cost of production. Marketing dictates price point. Moreover, the more delicate leathers generally cost far more. Lambskin is very delicate. Goatskin is delicate. Calfskin is very durable.

tiggycat

Jul 29, 2009
I have done my best to take care of the wallet (ie. Never putting it in my pant pockets, putting it in the pouch after use, and cleaning it weekly)…

I wouldn't have the patience to do this! And then it got a rip and scuffs after two months anyway? Way too high maintenance for me.

My every day wallet is a DE ZCP which is well over three years old, not babied at all, and still looks brand new.

Jrs1672

Jun 30, 2011

Citizentwill, in my opinion, you are completely wrong about Epi. I only started buying LV 4 1/2 years ago, so I can only base my thoughts going back that far, but Epi has been very durable in the time I've had it. I've never had ANY issues with the epi that I own and 2 pieces have been used daily since purchased and still look new. Same for the ones that get less wear. Edge glazing issues can be had in any of the materials and I've never seen any evidence that it happens more in the epi line than in the other collections. And yes, epi is the one of the least expensive leathers that LV offers but it is NOT cheap. I've never had anything happen to one of my epi pieces that couldn't be wiped away with a damp cloth. To me, your statement speaks volumes that you've never owned anything from this collection.

As for as Nomade leather goes, I own several items in it also, it is a beautiful leather with a wonderful texture, but it does scratch VERY easily. This supposedly adds character to the leather. I tend to baby my Nomade pieces because I want to keep them as pristine as possible. Long term, Nomade should be a very durable leather apart from the cosmetic scratches. Taiga is another leather line from LV that is soft like Nomade but has a texture that hides or prevents most scratches that would be permanent on Nomade. I don't know how it holds up long term. Another leather to consider is Infini. It is far more durable than I ever expected and my 3 year old Keepall which has been tossed in car trunks, shoved under plane seats and thrown through x ray machines still looks brand new with no marks or scratches.