Entry level Hermes

I keep hearing that Hermes leather is more or less the best haha, so I'd like to try one of their "starter" bags. Would you recommend the evelyne 29, or the garden party 30? I would use the bag as a casual everyday bag. Is one better than the other?
Both great starter bags, the difference will be whether you want hands-free or not. The garden party is handheld, and the evelyne is shoulder or crossbody.

Either style would work for me. Would you say they are comparable in quality?

Yes, both are superior quality, Hermes leathers are hard to beat! The inside of an evelyne is unlined, so it's like a raw suede feel. A leather garden party has the natural colored chevron canvas lining.

Here are two threads that might help you make your decision:

• Love
Reactions: anna2b2 and RT1
I’ve seen Evelyne “turn” people more often than the handhelds tbh! But for me totes make a bit more sense at that size, so I’d have gone with GP personally (I do love my TPM Evie).

Another option if you just want to feel the leather could be an SLG. Ulysse notebook letter feels pretty much like an Evelyne’s unfinished feel, and a much much cheaper “intro”.

• Love
Reactions: anna2b2 and RT1
I had both evelyne and a GP 30. I recently sold the GP 30 because I just don’t reach for it with the amount of hand sanitizer and industrial soap that I use at work (medical setting). I thought about selling the evelyne especially now I’m growing my collection but I just can’t seem to. When I want a carefree bag, that’s the one I reach to.

It would depend on your lifestyle and usage I guess? I also have both but I find the hands-free convenience of the Evelyne makes me reach for it more. When I used the car more to get around and do errands, I used the Garden Party a lot more. My arms don’t tire from carrying it. But now that I walk or cycle more, the Evie is the practical choice. The GP is a great tote, but its drawback is it’s handheld. If it could be comfortably carried over the shoulder, it would be a perfect tote.

Reactions: RT1
I keep hearing that Hermes leather is more or less the best haha, so I'd like to try one of their "starter" bags. Would you recommend the evelyne 29, or the garden party 30? I would use the bag as a casual everyday bag. Is one better than the other?
I would say Evelyne because its an easy bag and you can also wear it with the perforated H facing out or against the body depending on your taste (I dont own one but I really like them with the H against the body but not at all the other way!) AND you could change the look by changing the strap.
I find the GP a little too much of a basic tote for my liking but I know it has tons of fans.

Reactions: RT1
My first was a Birkin 30, then a Kelly 32 sellier. Buy what you like and what works for your lifestyle and budget. I don’t think it is necessary to choose a “starter” bag.

Agree! My first bag H was a Halzan 31. Since then I’ve already added a couple to my collection (been too busy to take photos of bag #2 and bag #3 is awaiting shipping from Fashionphile) and I’d rather just spend on what I’d prefer to carry than get a “starter bag” that may be a few grand cheaper and I may not really carry becuase it doesn’t suit my needs. I’ve realized I need large work totes (for when I eventually go into the office again) and midsized-weekend bags for most of my collection with a few smaller bags and a few larger in between.

I also love the member that suggested getting SLGs if the goal is just to try the Leather and see what a preference is. Mel in Melbourne on YouTube says she buys Bastias for this purpose (aside from actually using them of course!).

Reactions: Lejic and RT1
My first H bag was a BBK32 and my second a B40. I do however reach most often for my Evie 33 in Clemence as it's handfree, light and soft (adjusting to my body shape rather than bumping into me). It really depends on what you want to use the bag for.

The Evie 33 still fits a 13" laptop or A4 documents, but it will stick out (not advisable in rainy weather unless you have a waterproof case around the laptop). So if you have to carry A4 papers or laptops regularly the Garden Party makes more sense. For everything else I prefer the Evie.