english native speakers help - start sentence with preposition?

A woman from New York and a woman from Georgia were seated side by side on a plane. The woman from Georgia, being friendly and all, asked her seatmate, "So, where are you from?" The New York woman snottily replied, "I'm from a place where we know better than to end a sentence in a preposition." The woman from Georgia sat quietly for a moment, then said, "OK, so where are you from, *****?":roflmfao::roflmfao::roflmfao:

:roflmfao::roflmfao::roflmfao:

There's always huge debate over here (UK) about the dumbing down of the English language and boy, it's certainly happening. Grammar is slipping away - you try finding someone who knows how to use the possessive apostrophe!
It sounds to me as if your prof is being somewhat pedantic but, hey, if it means getting a good grade then I'd go along with what he/she says.
'To be or not to be' kind of sums it up I would say. If the old bard could get away with it......

A woman from New York and a woman from Georgia were seated side by side on a plane. The woman from Georgia, being friendly and all, asked her seatmate, "So, where are you from?" The New York woman snottily replied, "I'm from a place where we know better than to end a sentence in a preposition." The woman from Georgia sat quietly for a moment, then said, "OK, so where are you from, *****?":roflmfao::roflmfao::roflmfao:

LOL, LOVE IT!

Lara, I found this for you, if you haven't read it already:

http://www.csulb.edu/~richmond/Starting Sentences with a Prepositional Phrase.pdf

It might help clarify it a little bit. It seems it's not a hard rule, but a way to make your sentences clearer and more concise.

However-if your professor doesn't want you to start with a preposition, I'd just follow his/her rules. It's just easier that way, you know?

:roflmfao::roflmfao::roflmfao:

that is absolutely brilliant and just made my day. so I have finally decided to go through it and change stuff. I have spent 3.5 bloody years, a few extra hours won't make a difference.....

I had a very tough english teacher in school so I feel quite comfortable when it comes to grammar. plus I did Latin a-levels. BUT i sometimes write in a very 'german', read complicated, style and my profs do not like that. understandably. here a book is worthwhile if you do not understand anything when reading the first time... :roflmfao: