Engagement rings: custom or regular stock? Opinions needed!

Hi, all! My future fiancé and I have already purchased the setting for my engagement ring. We’re still in the process of sourcing a diamond because the ones offered at our jeweler were way overpriced for the quality. Over the last few days, I've been talking to a well reputed jeweler in NYC's diamond district that has a stone that I'm interested in. They've offered to custom make the exact same setting for the same price, but with a few differences that would most likely make the setting nicer. We’re still in the return period for the first setting, so that’s not an issue, but I can’t decide what to do! I’ll list the pros & cons of both below and include pictures of my current setting (sorry there's so many!). Opinions needed :smile:


Option A (the current setting):
-we already have the setting in hand
-it’s from a jeweler nearby who would be able to service and clean it free of charge (no mailing it in unless we moved away from the area, though that is a possibility)
- free resizing for life
-free lifetime warranty, including normal usage side stone replacement (we’ll have it insured either way—option B only includes side stone replacement if there’s a structural defect )
-slightly lower quality of work (I think—admittedly I don’t know that much about setting design)
- potential for gaps between stone and halo once set
-we paid sales tax and would have to pay a fee to have the outside stone set ($450ish total)

Option B (the custom setting):
-Higher quality side stones (G, VS2 vs. “SI1 or better in clarity and G-H or better in color”)
-more delicate micro pave (less metal would show)
- eagle claw prongs
- halo sized to fit the stone precisely (of course that means if we upgraded the stone down the road, we'd have to either have it reworked or purchase a new setting, but we might have to do that anyway because my current setting will only hold up to a 1.14 carat)
-no sales tax or fee to have the stone set ($450ish value)
--we could have the material upgraded from 14k white gold to platinum for a reasonable upcharge
-warranty only covers structural defect-- the jeweler would determine if damage met this criteria
-free cleanings, but ring has to be mailed to their office
-no free sizing after 60 days
-we’d have to wait for this to be custom designed and mailed to us (not the biggest deal, but still a factor)

So, what would you do? Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• stock1.jpg
    stock1.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 199
  • stock2.jpg
    stock2.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 201
  • stock3.jpg
    stock3.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 202
  • stock4.jpg
    stock4.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 203
  • irl2.jpg
    irl2.jpg
    674 KB · Views: 199
  • irl3.jpg
    irl3.jpg
    511.2 KB · Views: 204
  • irl1.jpg
    irl1.jpg
    435.3 KB · Views: 209
I'd definitely go with option B. See my responses below:


Option A (the current setting):
-we already have the setting in hand not a big deal, you're still within the return period
-it’s from a jeweler nearby who would be able to service and clean it free of charge (no mailing it in unless we moved away from the area, though that is a possibility) any jeweler can do this
- free resizing for life chances are you won't need this service
-free lifetime warranty, including normal usage side stone replacement (we’ll have it insured either way—option B only includes side stone replacement if there’s a structural defect ) this is standard
-slightly lower quality of work (I think—admittedly I don’t know that much about setting design) this would make me nervous
- potential for gaps between stone and halo once set this too
-we paid sales tax and would have to pay a fee to have the outside stone set ($450ish total) doesn't matter if you can return it

Option B (the custom setting):
-Higher quality side stones (G, VS2 vs. “SI1 or better in clarity and G-H or better in color”) I'd always go for higher quality
-more delicate micro pave (less metal would show) this just personal preference
- eagle claw prongs same
- halo sized to fit the stone precisely (of course that means if we upgraded the stone down the road, we'd have to either have it reworked or purchase a new setting, but we might have to do that anyway because my current setting will only hold up to a 1.14 carat) this is good
-no sales tax or fee to have the stone set ($450ish value) yay!
--we could have the material upgraded from 14k white gold to platinum for a reasonable upcharge if you can afford to upgrade to platinum, I would suggest it. It is heavier and more durable
-warranty only covers structural defect-- the jeweler would determine if damage met this criteria fine, no biggie
-free cleanings, but ring has to be mailed to their office any jeweler can clean it
-no free sizing after 60 days chances are that you wouldn't need it sized anyway
-we’d have to wait for this to be custom designed and mailed to us (not the biggest deal, but still a factor) better to wait for the better choice

So, what would you do? Thanks for the help!

Thank you! I'm fairly happy with it the way that it is, though of course I haven't yet seen it with a diamond set into it. If we go the custom route anyway, I might consider changing the shank to a straighter design.

I think you should consider having the ring custom made. Fairly happy sounds like you think you could do better. Platinum is definitely a good choice for pave set diamonds - it's stronger and more secure for the little stones. A straight shank would look great with the diamond and sapphire halo - it would place the focus on the main stone more. Good luck with your decision :smile:

I think you should consider having the ring custom made. Fairly happy sounds like you think you could do better. Platinum is definitely a good choice for pave set diamonds - it's stronger and more secure for the little stones. A straight shank would look great with the diamond and sapphire halo - it would place the focus on the main stone more. Good luck with your decision :smile:

Thanks! I'm leaning that way! Now I just have to get my BF on board ;)