Engagement ring - which finger?

wannabelyn

*woot*
O.G.
Mar 20, 2006
I'm clueless about this, i have no friends who are engaged or getting engaged. I tried google but i ended up being confused.

My mum got me a ring and we re-sized it to fit my middle finger on my left hand. I was then told that the middle finger on the left hand is for when you are engaged.

Can someone tell me if the engagement ring is meant to be worn on the middle or ring finger? Sorry if this is a bit silly but i just needed some clarification.

Thanks!

It's different around the world. . . .
in the USA it's customary to wear it on your left ringer finger - next to pinky.

This has been asked before, I may merge this if I can find it.

I agree with Swanky. While there are different customs in different places, in the US it is traditional to wear the engagement ring and wedding band on the ring finger of the left hand.

Yes here in the US we wear the e-ring and wedding ring on the ring finger of the left hand. In Greece, engagement ring goes on the ring finger of the left hand but wedding ring goes on the ring finger of the right hand!

I wondered about this as well-my boyfriend's sister is getting married (she's Chinese) and she wears her ring on her middle finger on her LEFT hand I believe. I've always wanted to ask her why, but I didn't want to come off as rude. Is that custom?

Hi.
My bf has just proposed and given me an engagement ring during our holiday in Bali :smile:
I have read a few sites, some say the 4th finger of left hand, some say the 4th of right hand and some even say 3rd finger of left. I am so confused.

And is engagement ring must be a diamond ring? I am asking because bf has given me a diamond ring earlier, so I did mention to him that I don't need another one, so this time he proposed using a Cartier Trinity...

How should I wear them?