Engagement ring - unconventional stones

I think diamond and sapphire is beautiful. Maybe not every stranger would recognize it as an engagement ring but who cares? You will know and it will be beautiful.

I have decided to quit lurking and to participate so here is my two cents worth. My e ring is an emerald cut sapphire with diamond baguettes. I did not get a diamond because I wanted something a little different. I also looked at getting an emerald ring until I learned that they can shatter as someone else has already mentioned. It is a very personal decision. You are the one who will be wearing it so get whatever you want.

That is so rude! I have heard women say those things to one another too or comment, oh, "that's all he could afford then?" Once I was in a meeting and one girl said to another, "oh, my ring has a similar setting to yours, but mines a ton bigger!" WTH is wrong with people? If you don't have anything nice to say, keep your mouth shut!

Your current ring is very pretty- I really like the setting and the bands on top and bottom!

I have some extended family that used to do that a lot - to each other. My mother and I just sat there and didn't participate. It blows my mind to listen to them, though.

I had a guy propose once with three different rings - so I could choose which one I wanted. Which was none. He KNEW I didn't want to get married. When I very politely declined them all (actually, I declined the proposal) , he went around to all our friends and told them I said they weren't big enough diamonds, and they were all huge! On loan from the stores owner, his boss.

:hysteric: That was pretty much the beginning of the end ;)

I agree....you should pick out whatever you like.....it's the same question when it comes to diamonds...because of the "timelessness" of RB, people are just hesitated to get other shaped diamonds as an engagement ring....I think you should go for whatever stone in whatever shape, size or form that make you happy!!! congrats on your engagement too!! :smile:

Thanks for all the encouragement ladies! I feel so much happier about just getting what I like. And I think there are certain styles that still make rings look engagement-y even without a diamond....plus the whole left hand thing gives it away ;)

someone posted this pic in another thread. I think it's gorgeous.......it gives you the sapphire idea (you could always put in purple) which you like but also the diamond. Then you could get a band of purple sapphires for the wedding band to match it.:

oh your hubby could get one to match:

Lenox-Gentlemans-Band-7.gif

oh I like this thread, I could post beautiful pics all day........how about this one:

rcc203421_b_l.jpg

Amethyst is the purple variety of quartz and is a popular gemstone. The color purple is traditionally the color of royalty. An octagon cut amethyst and twinkling diamonds adorn this lovely ring which is crafted in lustrous white gold.

I knew there was a reason I love purple!! hehe

First, let me note how comfortable this forum feels. This is my first post and I am hoping for some advice on an engagement ring. My SO and I plan to get engaged and have decided to use a pair of earrings (family heirlooms - somewhat sentimental). I had been set on a solitaire , but since the stones are smaller than 1c, we are considering a three stone design. I wanted to hear any recommendations you might have on the middle stone. I'm hoping for one perhaps less pricey and less sparkly than sapphires, rubies or emeralds. Might you have some advice on an understated stone type and design? I am obviously not knowledgeable on this topic.

(As a side note, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the possibility of selling the earrings in favor of a solitaire stone. Is this risky and messy? Can this be done at local jewelers? )

I wouldn't sell the earrings since they are from family and are sentimental for you.
I have a garnet in my wedding set (very deep red/brown). I have also seen really pretty amethyst or topaz stones in wedding rings lately.
Just choose something that has meaning for you.
OH, and as a design element perhaps getting a different shape for the middle stone than the earrings would look good, just play with some playdough making up different shapes and see what you like (one of the things I do as I am designing different things)

I LOVE three stone rings! I'd recommend you keep your earrings for the sentimentality, but many jewelers will take trade-ins or sell items. You should visit the jewelry district to get an idea of the trade-in value and also to see what stones/settings etc you like.

If you do decide to reset the earrings, what about an amethyst? I also like aquamarine, but I know they're pricier.

The issue here is the durability of the third stone. Rubies and sapphires are prevalent because they are considered "precious" and they are very high in the Mohs hardness scale. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohs_scale Note the corundum = rubies and sapphires, one level down from diamond, but it's a huge jump from 1500 down to 400.

Getting a softer stone in a ring that you wear every day means that it's facets will rub down and you will think your stone is dull. They can also crack. If it's treated, the treatment can wear off and you will be left with something that doesn't resemble what you originally bought.

So just some food for thought.

How about using one of the diamonds for a traditional e-ring and using the other for a pendant?