Engagement ring - unconventional stones

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Did anyone get an engagement ring with something other than a diamond as the main stone? I've really been thinking that I would like a ring with a purple sapphire and smaller diamonds on either side of it; I love purple and rarely go the "traditional route" with things. I know that the "need" for an engagement diamond is something perpetuated by the diamond companies (it wasn't always like this!) but, and this is probably silly to be worrying about, I wouldn't want people to think that my man is cheap for not getting me a diamond. KWIM?

I would really love to see pics of your unique diamond-less engagement rings, and if you got any sort of a reaction from people simply because it wasn't a diamond, I would love hearing about it! TIA!

2. I think the Engagement ring is something personal and you should get what you want and don't worry what others might think....
    I just remembered Princess Diana's engagement ring which was an oval-shape sapphire with diamonds around it

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Congratulations and I hope you will find your dream ring

3. I believe blue sapphires are actually the traditional stone of engagement rings. I'm not sure how we've transitioned into diamonds.

JFK's engagement ring for Jackie (picked out by Joseph Kennedy) was actually an emerald.

Get whatever stone you'd like! No reason it has to be a diamond. Nicole Richie got a pink sapphire engagement ring.

4. people worry too much about what other people will think. **** 'em! get what you want.

5. Probably when De Beers coined the phrase "a diamond is forever" in the late 40s. I don't have an engagement ring, and if I did, I would have chosen a sapphire. My wedding band has blue sapphires. Whatever makes you happy :smile:

6. That's exactly what I think too! I was thinking about Princess Diana's gorgeous sapphire ring as well!

7. it is your engagement...you can wear whatever you like.

8. One of my best friends has a sapphire as her main stone. It's beautiful!

Get what you love...you'll be wearing it...for a long time!

9. Yes, get what you like! As pointed out, the diamond companies- DeBeers for the most part- really did a great marketing job w/ associating diamonds as a necessity for marriage.

10. i think you need something that represents who you are and forget about the masses. engagement rings are personal and beautiful no matter the size or color.

11. I agree with the comments by some of the other posters. I know that colored gemstones were the traditional stones used for engagements until the diamond companies started their slogan compaign in the early 20th century. I think sapphires, rubies, and emeralds are pretty traditional.

I think you should get whatever makes you happy...after all, you're the one who has to wear it "forever". Good luck!

12. It's your Wedding and your E-Ring! Pick whatever that makes your heart sing.....As long as it's what you love, those who love you will love it too!

13. Thanks so much for the replies ladies! You all have really made me feel better about getting what I want and just not worrying about it. I mean, if Princess Di did it, then I sure can :yes:!

Thanks for the link LVshoefan! That's exactly what I was looking for, I think you can almost be more creative with your ring if you add a little color.

14. A purple sapphire would be stunning; one of my fave colours. Get whatever you like best!