Engagement ring : Classic round cut or novo princess cut (both 0,5 carats)

pox75

Oct 16, 2020
Hello everyone!

I'm new on this forum (and French) so I apologize in advance for any mistakes.

Here is my story: my boyfriend proposed to me during our vacations in Greece. In fact I had tried on a ring that I liked and he bought it as a souvenir gift. It is a 14k yellow gold ring with zirconiums. In the evening, looking at the ring, he told me that it looked very much like an engagement ring and said that he could propose to me with it. I took it off, believing it was a joke, and gave it to him. Then, he got down on his knee. I was the happiest!

Back to Paris, I bought him the Omega watch he had always wanted as an engagement gift. I have never seen him so happy! So he wanted to give me the classic Tiffany setting ring that I had always dreamed of.
I told him that a 0.5 carat diamond is fine because I like the idea of equality in our spending. So we went to Tiffany, and I couldn't resist trying on the other models. The classic tiffany is gorgeous, but when I tried the novo in princess size, it was stunning as well. Now I can't make up my mind. The positive point of the classic is its timelessness, the incomparable shine due to the round cut, and the iconic thing that I have always loved. But for the same budget, the novo is very classy. However, the diamond looks smaller and it is less iconic.

It is very difficult to make my choice, that's why I ask your opinion!

ale1987

Aug 22, 2017
Firstly, congratulations! Your engagement proposal sounds so romantic!

The Tiffany setting and Novo are both beautiful rings. I think that it really comes down to your style. I usually pick classic styles for anything that I envision myself wearing for many years—I picked a yellow gold Tiffany setting (mine is also half a carat) since I knew I would wear it forever. If you prefer more overall sparkle, the Novo is a good choice, but keep in mind that you could get a diamond pavé band to wear with a Tiffany setting later on to add sparkle.

MatAllston

O.G.
Sep 19, 2006
I have the classic Tiffany ring and I love it. I pair it with two different bands and I just love all the band options. The ring is stunning on its own too. Congrats and I vote for the classic.

Reactions: Cathystreasures

pox75

Oct 16, 2020
Thank you for your replies! You are all absolutely right, the solitaire is a classic and this is why I think i will choose it, even if the beauty of the novo is still in my mind. The only thing that makes me hesitate is that i won't choose a wedding band with lots of diamonds, because I want something simple, maybe with one or 2 diamonds. Now I can't wait to see it on my finger !

baglici0us

Baghappy =)
O.G.
Jan 6, 2009
I went with the classic (was initially drawn to the ribbon ring) and have never regretted my choice!

Tolstoi123

Aug 1, 2019
Both are beautiful! And honestly pretty classic, you’ll be able to wear them forever.
If you want a simple wedding band I would choose an e-ring with a pave band to add some sparkle. The novo also exists in a brillant cut.
Also a more general advice: take your time to chose your ring and browse a bit before commiting! Even though you seem set on Tiffany, you can go check out other jewellers, it’s so much fun to go e-ring shopping and you won’t have that opportunity many times!You might be surprised.
When I did that a few years ago I liked Cartier (where we finally bought my ring) Boucheron, Van cleef and Chaumet particularly. I’m in France as well .
Congratulations and have fun picking your ring!

Reactions: Cathystreasures

Cathystreasures

Jul 4, 2020
Congratulations on your engagement!
I love the classic Tiffany’s setting, but I most admit that I love and prefer diamonds on the band of my engagement ring. It gives the ring that extra sparkle that after 5 years of wearing mine still makes me smile every time I look at it. I don’t find it hard to pair with other band rings at all (my wedding band is the Tiffany Embrace, but all I tried could easily have worked out great!) and I find it to be just as classic and timeless- as long as it is a brilliant cut diamond, and not a princess cut one. I know I don’t answer your initial question, but have you tried the “Tiffany Novo® Round Brilliant Engagement Ring with a Pavé Diamond Platinum Band” or the “Tiffany Harmony® Round Brilliant Engagement Ring with a Diamond Platinum Band”? I don’t know if I am allowed to post the direct links here, but if you copy the names and pastes them into the search box on the Tiffany website they will show up in all their glory (The classic Tiffany setting does also come with a pavé band but I think the main stone must be at least 1.0 carat.)
Choose the one that makes you smile and the one that sticks in your mind and heart!
Can’t wait to see which one you will choose and congratulations yet again