Engagement Party Present Ideas

Dec 4, 2006
My sister is throwing my other sister an engagement party. I have never been to one and personally see the idea kinda silly since they got engaged 5 months ago at this point. But I guess that is beside the point. My question is, what do you take for a present? I am not looking to spend very much - just a trinket in the $20 - $30 range.

^^Yeah, I guess I had wondered about it too when I got engaged, but didn't see a point. I mean, people are already going to be buying shower gifts, wedding gifts and possibly even bachelor/bachelorette gifts for you shortly down the road. So I don't see another reason to celebrate/make people feel they need to bring another gift.

But yes, I was assuming just a small frame or photo album. My sister is not very girly or materialistic anyway, so there would be no point in buying anything too nice. As it is, my other sister is planning her whole wedding.

My only thought was that it seems like everyone will probably think photo album or frame to bring so I was wondering if anyone else happened to have any other ideas. Again though, simply sticking to the $20- $30 range.

Thanks for any opinions! I am too busy getting ready for my new baby to put too much though into this - I know that sounds awful - so i appreciate the help!

Pretty candle (Trapp candles are really nice - Bamboo Sugar Cane is my favorite from them)
Nice bottle of wine
A themed basket (or another kind of basket)...blockbuster card (or even a movie you know they love and don't have), microwave popcorn, soda, candy, etc etc etc...all in a nice big basket (could also do a gourmet food basket or chocoholic basket...you get the idea. ;)
donation to a charity you know they love (since this is for your sister it may be easier)

I had a little engagement party combined with his family's traditional Thanksgiving dinner. It was just cake and champagne and a chance for both our sides to meet one another since I lived in southern cali and him up north. We requested no gifts.

That being said, when my gf got engaged, I bought her scented candles and they loved them.

I had one and mostly got bottles of wine/champagne and picture frames/albums. I also got crystal candle stick holders from Tiffany's! Those were my favorite! ;)

Depending how far in the future the wedding is...how about something to plan the wedding or for the wedding:

A Planner
A bridal magazine subscription
Personalized stationary or thank you cards, with her new name (she will need a lot of those)
A journal
A keepsake box for keeping all the wedding cards
toasting flutes
cake server

For engagement presents I usually buy gift certificates for each person and ask them each to buy something completely frivolous and indulgent for the other person.

I love giving engagement party gifts, actually. I usually give a pretty set of linen cocktail napkins if I want to stay on the lower end of price scale. If I want to spend more, I try to find a pretty sterling silver cake knife for them to use at the reception.

ETA: I love that idea, BITTEN. It makes gift certificates so much more fun and personal. I'm stealing that one sometime, if you don't mind!

Pretty candle (Trapp candles are really nice - Bamboo Sugar Cane is my favorite from them)
Nice bottle of wine
A themed basket (or another kind of basket)...blockbuster card (or even a movie you know they love and don't have), microwave popcorn, soda, candy, etc etc etc...all in a nice big basket (could also do a gourmet food basket or chocoholic basket...you get the idea. ;)
donation to a charity you know they love (since this is for your sister it may be easier)

i was going to say the same thing... a nice bottle of wine and maybe 2 really nice wine glasses.... or you could make a basket of 1 red and one white and get 2 red wine glasses and 2 white wine glasses

If I had one I wouldn't expect gifts. I went to one aabout a month ago and no one brought gifts :shrugs: It was a really nice catered event. The couple just wanted to celebrate and weren't looking for anything but the company of their friends and family to celebrate with them.