Engagement diamond ring purchase

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Nordstrom Spring Sale is now live! Serious savings on customer favorites - up to 40% off with free shipping and free returns. Shop the sale!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. As I've posted and asked question at "Tiffany" sub-forum, currently I am planning to look into purchasing an Engagement diamond ring. The budget that my SO has agreed is about CAD40,000 - 45,000, hope to get 2ct Diamond ring.

I am located at Toronto, besides Tiffany/Cartier/Birks, where else we can look into purchase and get best value and quality of Diamond and best style choices?

Thanks.

2. I never tried purchasing any yet..but when I was in pacific mall and looking at some diamond rings, the one I visited were selling vs clarity diamonds. One SA even actually subtly insulted my own diamond ring saying its not as good as the ones they were selling. I only have an SI1 half a carat diamond but it was really eye clean. I even told her " well, mine is canadian diamond" and she said it doesnt matter. Anyhow, the diamond rings they were selling looks good. Maybe you can check. Unlike gemstones diamonds are easiest to check for authenticity because there are diamond testers around. You can also try buying diamonds online( brian gavin, james allen) and have it set by your trusted jeweller.

3. First and foremost, congratulations to you and your soon-to-be fiance!

Is the brand name important to you? If so, then the ones you listed would be safe bets for diamond quality and good craftsmanship, but I don't know how far $45k CAD will get you.

If you enjoy getting more bang for your buck and don't mind doing some research, then you can source your own diamond and have the setting custom made. I'd suggest checking out the Pricescope forums for a better idea of the process and recs for jewelers.

As to your question about best style choices, that's entirely subjective. You can get a classics like the six-prong solitaire, halo, or three-stone rings just about anywhere. If you want something really unique, you might consider a vintage ring.

There are a lot of options and it can be pretty overwhelming, so I'd suggest starting at the big brand name shops and going from there. Once you have a better idea of the style you like, then it will get easier to narrow it down.

Keep us posted! I love seeing everyone's engagement rings.

4. when my husband and i were shopping, we went to the big stores (tiffanys, ect) to get a sense of what i liked. then we went to the nyc diamond district to find a diamond and setting. i dont know if you have a district like that in toronto, but we had a great experience.

5. If brand name is not important to you then 100 percent look up Vanessa Nicole. You can see a ton of her videos in you tube. She is located in San Fransisco but has done design work for people all over the world. She is amazing and could most definitely work with your budget. She is the designer and hand crafts everything.

6. :tup: Small world!!!

I mean, if you're going to go outside of Canada for the item, I can give you a list of top notch vendors. But if you don't want to deal with VAT and Import etc., then Martin Sheffield is a great place to start.