Emma Hill's Interview in the Sunday Times Style

lola73

Jan 1, 2010
Just read Emma Hill's interview in Style magazine. She comes across as much more likeable and normal than she did in the video at London Fashion Week.
Mulberry sales are up 23% to £72 million and look like winning a fashion award shortly.
I know on tpf there is a variation on where she is taking the brand - away from the classics and into new territory.
As a relative newbie to Mulberry and with no Darwin to my name - I still think that there is a wide range of bags available for all tastes. I hope she does keep on the classics but I love some of the newer styles too (frakenbags being the exception).
Alexa obviously but I think Edie and Lily are also great.

Anyone else read the article? What did you think?

I haven't read this interview, but I remember reading one when she had just started at mulberry and I got a good impression of her in that interview. She seemed enthusiastic about designing practical bags.

I know they are doing well in sales and now that they are more trendy, they are competing with other major brands. Many of my friends who didn't know mulberry are suddenly aware of the brand with all the exposure. But they could've transitioned better. Quality is suffering and they are losing old customers. It probably is worth the money they are making now though.

I've been a mulberry fan for a long time and to me the image of the brand was always traditional and that of great quality and to have that completely changed, I'm not that into mulberry anymore. To me it's lost that 'special' feeling, so I've been into other brands lately. But I'm not resentful, I've just moved on. I do like some of the newer styles, but I prefer other brands now, when before I bought mainly mulberry.

The style mag is my Sunday afternoon read in the bath. There's a delightful image for you ladies! I enjoy locking myself away for an hour with style and the lovely tacky fabulous mag from news of the world. I look forward to reading the article

I agree with your point about quality suffering ruusu with the new direction. That said if they could improve quality or at least maintain quality I think they will continue to grow.
I think that they are losing customers who liked the older quality and styles but I reckon Mulberry as a company reckon the trade off is worth it for increased sales and increased share price. Whether the new customers have the same loyalty to the brand as old customers have had remains to be seen.

SJ - a mixture of style and trash there. I like it!

I'll have a look at that then, hopefully this will push the share price up more ;)

You know I was only thinking last week how many younger girls (18 to 25 app) you see with Mulberry handbags these days. Just goes to show who the customer base now is.

As well as the article in the Sunday Times Style, there's also an article in today's Observer Magazine (with Simon Cowell on the front) about the Mulberry Alexa - there's a huge picture of an Alexa, and various celebrities carrying Alexas, which is great free advertising for Mulberry!