Emilia Tinted blue vs. Soft black 109

Koobaholic

Oct 22, 2008
Hi everyone!
sorry for banging this SB so much with so many questions!

But I think I now narrowed the choices down to two!!
(at least..... until I see the lining options! lol)

I'm ordering Emilia with suede lining. I'm thinking of two colors - tinted blue and soft black. Maria sent me the pictures of both, and I also saw the pics of JRed's black Emilia (although not the same leather) and NBL's tinted blue one. And to be honest... I love them both!!

So here are the two options that are floating in my head.

1. tinted blue, no mixed leather in the braid. other features kept default.
2. soft black, mixed with black patent/gunmetal/pewter and other features kept default.

I'm also thinking about double braid vs. single braid. I'm more prone to the default double braid, but are there any ladies that have seen single braid Emilia?

Also, is there any other modification I can make in Emilia?

Thanks in advance! You ladies are so helpful in this process!

To me, I think the choice is which fits better in your wardrobe. For me, I wear black or grey slacks most of the week, so a black bag always works. On the weekends I'm nearly always in jeans, so blues always work. Which will you get more use from?

Can't help w the braid...

Modifications are hidden zipper and add or delete studs, change the strap to rolled or flat.

I am with SK, which fits in your wardrobe better? Do you have a black hobo or blue hobo? Do you know for sure that you'll like a mixed braid? (I only ask because I'm not brave enough to do two tones! LOL)

I can't help much with the single vs. double braid either as I've only had a Mini Emilia with a single braid which I like as is. I don't think I'd want a double braid personally but that's kind of unfair of me to say since I've never owned the double!

I'm w TL on the braid, I only have the sigle on the Mini, but it's so comfortable, if I got a fullsize I'd probably go with a sigle as well.

IMO, I think an all black bag will really cries out for a metallic or patent to be mixed into the braid. Mixing the patent in the braid will be really subtle. The Pewter or Gunmetal will be a lot more pop, this should give you an idea on how it would look http://forum.purseblog.com/ignes/irl-mini-emelia-aubergine-gunmetal-reveal-502591.html You are probably aware that the Pewter has a lot of gold in it, to my eyes. I have a big aversion to gold tones, so I wasn't expecting it in pewter, and would have been surprised if I had ordered it.

For the braid, do you have any bags with really wide straps (say, 2" across)? I personally find the width of the Emilia's double braids to be really comfy, and it sits well on my shoulder without threatening to slip off, but I know there are others who've had issues with how wide the strap is. If you happen to have a bag with a wider shoulder strap, that may be a good way to try and judge if you might encounter a similar issue with the double braids, I think.

I'm pretty sure someone's done a single braid in an Emilia before! This was fairly early on too, maybe just a few months after the Emilia was introduced, IIRC. I'll see if I can dig the thread up... As for the colours, IA with sk, it might depend more on your wardrobe and what colour will work better. I like the sound of mixing patent into the braids, but it might go nicely with a gunmetal-ish leather too. Pewter definitely has gold-ish tones, like sk said, so it may not really have that tonal effect on black that you might be looking for.

Is the soft black as durable as the tinted blue? I try so hard to be good to my bags, but if the leather is at all (even a tiny bit) scratch/scuffable, I manage to whack it. I'd go tinted blue if both would work in your warddrobe. And it feels really yummy.:graucho:

Thank you so much everyone!
I decided to go for the double strap. I don't really like the look of a single strap connected to the double strap.... It's just me but I don't like the descrepancy there... Thank you so much for the picture starkfan!
Haha, NC, I'm exactly the same! But I think sk assured that the black is also indestructable...
Jees, this is so hard! I've been asking around everyone, and everyone says different things! The problem is both work with my wardrobe and I like the look of both. I want to have both tinted blue and the soft black/patent!!! I don't have ANY black or blue bag as of now (I abused them so much that they're gone... haha).... I've been thinking about this all day but.... whoa...
It's usually when I actually have them both and used them for a while when I can decide in this situation :sad: any more opinions...?

Good find on those Emilia pics SF! I agree w Koobaholic, I like the double braid better on the Emilia.

NC - I scubbed the h*** out of the Black 109 w Purell & a scratchy hotel washcloth to get out yellow paint, and the leather looks as good as new. I gained a whole nother level of love for Black 109 after that! Here are more details here http://forum.purseblog.com/ignes/lets-talk-wear-on-ignes-leathers-477722-2.html#post12943064

You're on your own choosing between Black and Tinted Blue! I get the sense though that you want Tinted Blue but think you should have a black bag in your wardrobe?

sk, in fact I feel like both will be a good addition to my wardrobe. Here is my thoughts on both.

For tinted blue, I really love the look, and it seems it is a unique leather that Ignes provides - something that I won't be able to get from other brand. And I feel like that is the best leather for Emilia!

But then black 109, I really like the picture of black Emilia twisted with the patent leather in my mind! And a lot of people tell me black would work better (except they don't really know about tinted blue haha) Also, I, yes, feel like black will get more use than tinted blue... But, if I get the black one, I feel like I won't be able to experience tinted blue in its best form... sounds weird but kwim?

maybe I should start thinking about my next Ignes (already!) and choose what to get lol

It definitely sounds like you prefer Tinted Blue. Go by what you feel, not just what other people tell you, and if you love the look of Tinted Blue more, that's what you ought to go for! The only exception would be if the colour can't go with your wardrobe at all, but since you mention that both would go well with your wardrobe, I think you should be fine there. FWIW, my coloured bags (especially the "coloured neutrals" which I think Tinted Blue definitely falls under) get as much use as, if not more than, my black bags. HTH!

Tinted blue will definitely be a neutral since it will go with so much plus it isn't always easy to find a good looking blue that you really like whereas there is always black leather. This is a nice, hard wearing black but still there will always be black. I agree that it seems your heart is saying tinted blue but your head is getting in the way! LOL!

^ Very true as well. :yes: There will always be black leathers, but Tinted Blue or a colour/leather exactly like it may be harder to come by if you're looking at designs from other brands!

JRed- lol! I wish! but I already bought 3 bags this month only and cannot afford another one! It's not my normal spending haha maybe when the spring comes..... I can wait.... i thin....k.... lol

ladies, I finally decided (for now)! tinted blue!!!!!! I will try not to think about black now!!

tinted blue, double braided, suede lining, hidden zipper, and with the standard studs!

now I just have to choose the color of the suede and the drop...! so many to choose! lol