EMERGENCY!! Is it extremely harmful to eat MOLDY BREAD?!

  1. I'm a college student and preparing food is such a pain so I'm usually eating sandwiches.

    I purchased this bakery's bread and I've had it for a full week. My roommate tossed it out 5 minutes ago saying that it had white mold and even one small spot of green mold.

    However, I ate it for dinner an hour ago and I didn't notice that there was mold on the bread! I just noticed a lot of white powder and I had just assumed that it was flour that they use to coat the outside of the bread/crust. I did microwave my sandwich, so I'm hoping that if there was mold, that all of the bacteria was killed.

    Has anyone eaten moldy foods and was okay afterwards? I feel like vomiting now! :faint::push:
  2. No need to worry! When I was about 10 years old, I put (what I thought to be chocolate swirled cream cheese) onto my bagel and ate nearly half of it. My mom walked downstairs and caught me eating it and took it away quickly to the trash. Being a kid, I didn't smell the cream cheese beforehand and it wasn't green... it looked exactly like chocolate swirled cream cheese lol. All in all, I was fine afterwards.

    Maybe try to drink lots of water to flush your system??
  3. I don't think it's that big of a deal. You should obviously never eat mold, but it's not necessarily the end of the world if you do. If you eat end up feeling sick for more than a day then go to a doctor.
  4. I would have an alcoholic drink to kill whatever bacteria is in your system.
  5. You'll be fine. I've eaten mold before (accidentally, of course).
  6. Thank you everyone for your help!!!! I was starting to get really worried!

    My 3rd grade teacher had to get her stomach pumped and was in the hospital for days when she accidentally ate moldy bread!
  7. ^^Maybe she was allergic. My SO is allergic to mold; it's basically poison to him. He can't even take penicillin.
  8. I wouldn't worry too much. I ate a moldy strawberries before(the ones I ate, I didn't see any mold but the ones on the way bottom of the pack were moldy) and got a rash. The next day it was gone.
  9. I'm glad I'm not allergic to penicillin! :sweatdrop:
    I completely had forgotten than some molds have a form of penicillin, so I'm thinking maybe she was allergic. I was in 3rd grade at the time, so I don't remember much haha.
  10. For many people, penicillin allergy is extremely severe. If I were take penicillin or eat something that was excessively moldy, I'd quickly go into anaphylaxis and need *immediate* medical attention, so it's not a risk that I would ever take.

    Also, know that mold is not bacteria. It is a fungus. Microwaving food for a while may kill most bacteria but I'm not sure if the same rules apply to fungal spores.
  11. She doesn't need to if she ate mold. That is what penicilin is made of. ;)
  12. As a general rule, green and white molds are not terribly harmful to your health. But the orange/red ones ought to be avoided. Since you don't have a mold allergy that you know of, you ought to be fine.

  13. :drinks:
  14. mold = penecillin. Case closed.