Elsa Peretti Bone Cuff Decision/Discussion Thread

Mar 27, 2009
Tax return season is coming up, and while I have no idea how much I will be getting back, I would like to hope that I would get enough back to get myself something nice.
I have always admired the bone cuff from afar, but never thought about purchasing it myself due to the iconic boldness of it. However, I think that I have come to a point in my life where I could pull this off with enough panache to make it worth my while to actually buy.
I tried on a few pieces at my local Tiffany's, and there wasn't much to choose from, due to my shop being one of the newer/smaller shops out there. This upcoming weekend, I will be in San Frnacisco, so hopefully they will have a more complete collection for me to try on.
So from what I have gathered, there are different makes/models of the bone cuff; small, medium, and large. The large is STUNNING. I tried on a medium and a small, and I liked the smallest-width bone cuff the best. I plan on making this a piece that I will wear on a day-to-day basis, not a once-in-awhile piece.
I also noted that it comes in ruthenium, sterling silver, carbon (?), and of course gold, but I doubt I will be able to afford the gold anyhow.
So here is what I ask of my fellow tpf'ers...
Modeling pics would be great! I would like to see this on real people, not fashion magazines. It would give me a much better perspective, I would think.
I would also love feedback about the sizes. That was quite confusing to me. I understand that there is small, medium, and large in terms of the width of the cuff, but what about the actual fit? The SA told me that there was no sizing... How can that be? One size cannot fit all. And sure enough, I was trying on the ruthenium and the silver, and there were size differences! I need clarification on that.
And lastly, what metal? I was told by someone with a ruthenium ring that it looks lovley, but wears badly. I didn't get details on that... Does anyone have any ruthenium pieces? I do plan on wearing this alot, I understand that it will get a worn patina, and that is fine. I just don't want ugly garish scratches...
Anyways, that is all for now, I would love any feedback/advice/photos that anyone on here has!

For reference, here is what I could find on the Tiffany website:

The small bone cuff in sterling silver:
http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Ite...+1-p+2-c+-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+bone+&search=1

The medium bone cuff:
http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Ite...+1-p+2-c+-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+bone+&search=1

The large bone cuff (they also have this in small and medium), in carbon:
http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Ite...s+1-p+3-c+-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+bone&search=1

I did see a ruthenium one, but now it doesn't seem to be on here.
Anyways, these are the cuffs I am looking at.

I have the medium-sized ruthenium cuff. I'll try to take a pic for you tomorrow. I love this cuff. It instantly turns jeans and an old t-shirt into an ensemble with no effort at all. I've had mine for about a year and a half, and it's held up amazingly well. I highly recommend it.

While it doesn't come in different wrist measurements, it is possible to size it to fit your wrist. After the cuff is warmed from your body temperature, you can tighten it by squeezing it together.

This is the pic that sold me on the ruthenium cuff. I apologize to the original poster of the photo; I had saved this pic quite a while back and no longer remember the poster's name.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 10,919
Reactions: Brightcastle
I love (LOVE!!!) this piece in small in sterling silver, but sadly it doesn't fit my small wrist. I've tried it on in store a few times hoping that it'd start to look right in my eyes, but it's just too loose (even after squeezing it smaller). Even my sales associate said, "You know I'd love to sell you one, but it just doesn't fit you..."
My wrist is 14.5cm and bony, by the way. Still love it on others though.

I love (LOVE!!!) this piece in small in sterling silver, but sadly it doesn't fit my small wrist. I've tried it on in store a few times hoping that it'd start to look right in my eyes, but it's just too loose (even after squeezing it smaller). Even my sales associate said, "You know I'd love to sell you one, but it just doesn't fit you..."
My wrist is 14.5cm and bony, by the way. Still love it on others though.

I can just fit it. My right wrist is smaller, and it is 6 1/4" and they did have a ruthenium cuff that my SO liked better than the sterling silver.

This is the pic that sold me on the ruthenium cuff. I apologize to the original poster of the photo; I had saved this pic quite a while back and no longer remember the poster's name.

This is my pic!

I have a 15cm wrist, and the cuff was BIG on me. I had to buy blind, as there were no Tiffany stores in my city at that time. This is what it looked like before I squeezed it shut a little bit more... Quite wobbly!

IMG002.jpg

After squeezing, it fit better and didn't slide down my arm and off the wristbone anymore, but keep in mind that it will change the size of the opening. It's a bit of a struggle to put on now, but it looks good. This is what the opening looks like now. Pretty small!

IMG010-1.jpg

The Ruthenium finish is really nice though, IMO. I like that it's less "bright" than silver. Here's a less crappy non-phone pic for you.

P1060390.jpg

This is my pic!

I have a 15cm wrist, and the cuff was BIG on me. I had to buy blind, as there were no Tiffany stores in my city at that time. This is what it looked like before I squeezed it shut a little bit more... Quite wobbly!

IMG002.jpg

After squeezing, it fit better and didn't slide down my arm and off the wristbone anymore, but keep in mind that it will change the size of the opening. It's a bit of a struggle to put on now, but it looks good. This is what the opening looks like now. Pretty small!

IMG010-1.jpg

The Ruthenium finish is really nice though, IMO. I like that it's less "bright" than silver. Here's a less crappy non-phone pic for you.

P1060390.jpg

Thank you for the pics!!!
I really like the ruthenium. It will be a tough decision between ruthenium and sterling silver.

I bought the ex-large cuff in sterling. A little bit different but you have to have a long thin arm especially between the wrist and elbow.
My wrists are small so I did have to tweak/bend a bit to fit. Easy to do.
I'm 5'10 for reference.

omg i love it :loveeyes::love:. they no longer have that one available online! They only have it available in carbon.
thank you so much for sharing this with me. I *think* my arm is slender enough... depending upon my tax return, I might even get this one!!!