Ellen DeGeneres in The Dog House For Giving Away Adopted Dog

^^^Iggy didn't come from a shelter, he came from a rescue organization. If he had come from a shelter, there would be NO problem here. Shelters are happy to place animals with new owners, it means that they get to euthanize one less than 6 million animals this year. If there's one good thing that comes of this mess, I hope it's that more people realize that adopting from a shelter, humane society, or animal control is their best option for finding a pet. It's not that rescues and foster homes don't have their place, in fact, the humane society in my area works closely with a local rescue to help rehabilitate scared or abused animals. But the rescue doesn't respond by charging a small fortune to adopt the animal (and profit) or refusing to adopt an animal to ANY family with kids under 14. And the rescue is not selective according to breed (there's an all-cat rescue and an all-dog rescue). The rescue works to help alleviate the stress on the humane society, that's it.

According to Ellen's transcript, she didn't just give up the dog because it was too spunky, it was also because it was harassing her cats. If she feared for the safety of her cats due to an errant nip or play match gone a bit too far, I think she's justified in finding it a new home. She should probably have picked a different breed to begin with (a rat terrier, which the Brussels was bred to be, is going to give chase to a moving animal), but she tried to remedy the situation in a way beneficial to all. I'm sure she would have found the dog another home if for some reason the hairdresser's home hadn't worked out, which it did.

The same thing was in my contract when I adopted my two dogs.

There is no reason that the family that wanted the dog can't apply to adopt it. They should follow the same procedures as any other family that tries to adopt from a shelter.

I agree with this. Rescue groups put a lot of time and effort making sure that the dog and family are a perfect fit... they do interviews, home visits, etc. before adopting the dog out to a home to make sure the temperment of the dog is in sync with the family. What Ellen did was (unknowingly, I really believe) supercede the rules and contract agreements put in place for good reason, without consulting the professionals who know this dog's temperment best. Rescue groups take the time to get to know the dog on a level that people who don't do that for a living are unable to. I'm sure that they will adopt this dog to that family if they feel it's a good match; but really, was that for Ellen to decide? Considering she only had the dog a few weeks, I doubt she knew the dog as well as the rescue did.

I hope it works out for everyone involved!

capt.2bc2df7a0122455e8f12ac30c2d30add.people_degeneres_nyet104.jpg

LOS ANGELES - Ellen DeGeneres' doggy drama intensified Tuesday after her tearful plea on her talk show led to death threats against the rescue group that took back her adopted dog for violating the contract, according to a spokesman for the agency's owners.

DeGeneres explained on her show that the Brussels Griffon terrier mix didn't get along with her cats, so she gave it to her hairstylist's family. The owners of Mutts and Moms claimed that DeGeneres violated the adoption agreement by not informing them that she was giving the dog away and removed Iggy from the hairstylist's home Sunday.
As a result of the publicity, Marina Batkis and Vanessa Chekroun received voice mail and e-mail threats of death and arson and were besieged by the media, disrupting business at Paws Boutique store in Pasadena, where they handle the volunteer, nonprofit rescue agency, attorney Keith A. Fink said.
Batkis rejected DeGeneres' plea to give the dog back to her hairstylist's family.
"She (Batkis) doesn't think this is the type of family that should have the dog," said Fink, who is not legally representing the owners but is authorized to speak for them. "She is adamant that she is not going to be bullied around by the Ellen DeGenereses of the world ... They are using their power, position and wealth to try to get what it is they want."
DeGeneres' attorney, Kevin Yorn, did not immediately return a message seeking comment.
"It's very upsetting to hear that someone is getting those kind of calls," DeGeneres' publicist Kelly Bush said. "Ellen just wants the dog reunited with the family."
On her talk show taped Tuesday and airing Wednesday, a serious DeGeneres reiterated to her audience that "the dog needs to go to the family."
It "just needs to be in a good home," she continued, according to a transcript given to The Associated Press. "All that you're supposed to do is put a dog in a loving home."
DeGeneres had said her hairdresser's daughters, ages 11 and 12, had bonded with Iggy and were heartbroken when the dog was taken away.
Fink said Moms and Mutts has a rule that families with children under 14 are not allowed to adopt small dogs.
"It's for the protection of the dog," he said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071017...egeneres_26;_ylt=AgjXysSA8xaebQ5T6YoAo9oH1vAI

:tdown: This is the LAZIEST reason to give up a dog. If a dog has too much energy, that means you haven't exercised it enough. If she is spending all that money, she should have bought a dog runner (not walker). We had the SAME problem with that beauty in my avatar and my cat, but now that she gets run for 45 minutes in the morning and at night and crated in the day... we are a happy little family. :tup: And I didn't have to give her away (even when the trainer, after hearing my sob story, said "some people just aren't a good fit with certain dogs".)

So if your kid is rambunctious do you just give it away?? No, you chanel their energy into productive activities. Although some parents just stick them on Ridalin when they don't really need it, but that is another topic for another thread ;).

^^^ITA Cesar Millan, the Dog Whisperer always tells owners to walk their dogs at least 45 minutes a day.

Well according to TMZ, the agency did NOT make Ellen sign any contract and she did not have to undergo a home inspection, like the agency's policy now states. They also HAVE chosen families with children in the past. To make things worse, the chip inside the dog was supposed to be changed to Ellen's name but the agency never did so. That's why the cops allowed them to get the dog back, its chip was still registered to the agency.

IMO the agency is just on a huge power trip.

Now we've learned Ellen never submitted an application to adopt the dog, nor did she undergo a home inspection that seems so important after the fact. There were no holier-than-thou terms to this process.

For the record, we're told the agency has greenlighted other dog adoptions with young children in the house -- the "kids" in question here are 12 and 13.

Also, we've learned the deal was that the info on microchip in the dog's neck was supposed to be updated with Ellen's information. That was never done. That's why when the police checked the chip, the dog was still registered to Mutts and Moms

http://www.tmz.com/2007/10/17/dont-screw-the-pooch/

Oh PETA stands by ellen. lol. I hope Iggys new family's a forever one and he's happy. He sounded like a resilient, happy little pup. My guess is they originally wanted him (pre-ellen's PR group alerting the media) since there are usually several qualified applicants to one rescue dog like him. Hopefully, someone who was heartbroken in losing him before anyone else did, was able to get him. That would be fate.

Oh PETA stands by ellen. lol. I hope Iggys new family's a forever one and he's happy. He sounded like a resilient, happy little pup. My guess is they originally wanted him (pre-ellen's PR group alerting the media) since there are usually several qualified applicants to one rescue dog like him. Hopefully, someone who was heartbroken in losing him before anyone else did, was able to get him. That would be fate.

sorry this is totally off topic but is that your white fuzzy head puppy? he or she is too cute:love:

sorry this is totally off topic but is that your white fuzzy head puppy? he or she is too cute:love:

Thanks!. She's a Coton de Tulear. I trimmed her bangs so she can see now though. lol. She kept messing with the bands and clips that held the hair out of her eyes.

Actually, it wasn't ellen that signed the contract on Iggy, but her partner Portia. Only one signature is necessary, even though both was on the contract.

You can see the video of the woman taking the dog from the family's house and you can also see Portia/Ellen/The hairdresser/the kid talk about the event on TMZ right now. I'm sorry but that 'agency' doesn't care about the well-being of the dog. That woman just has something against Ellen and she's taking it out on everyone else, including the dog.

^^^Iggy didn't come from a shelter, he came from a rescue organization. If he had come from a shelter, there would be NO problem here. Shelters are happy to place animals with new owners, it means that they get to euthanize one less than 6 million animals this year. If there's one good thing that comes of this mess, I hope it's that more people realize that adopting from a shelter, humane society, or animal control is their best option for finding a pet. It's not that rescues and foster homes don't have their place, in fact, the humane society in my area works closely with a local rescue to help rehabilitate scared or abused animals. But the rescue doesn't respond by charging a small fortune to adopt the animal (and profit) or refusing to adopt an animal to ANY family with kids under 14. And the rescue is not selective according to breed (there's an all-cat rescue and an all-dog rescue). The rescue works to help alleviate the stress on the humane society, that's it.

According to Ellen's transcript, she didn't just give up the dog because it was too spunky, it was also because it was harassing her cats. If she feared for the safety of her cats due to an errant nip or play match gone a bit too far, I think she's justified in finding it a new home. She should probably have picked a different breed to begin with (a rat terrier, which the Brussels was bred to be, is going to give chase to a moving animal), but she tried to remedy the situation in a way beneficial to all. I'm sure she would have found the dog another home if for some reason the hairdresser's home hadn't worked out, which it did.
ITA!!!

You can see the video of the woman taking the dog from the family's house and you can also see Portia/Ellen/The hairdresser/the kid talk about the event on TMZ right now. I'm sorry but that 'agency' doesn't care about the well-being of the dog. That woman just has something against Ellen and she's taking it out on everyone else, including the dog.

Umm...if she had something against Ellen why would she have let her adopt the dog in the first place?? I don't understand this statement?