Elizabeth Thomas and weird handles?

sngo

Sep 16, 2006
I just received my 06 Lilac Work from Elizabeth Thomas yesterday and am happy overall with the bag (it does need conditioning since it is very dry and veiny). BUT I just noticed that the leather on the handles are very wrinkled on the underside and there is a weird stiff line under the leather along both handles. This "line" does not run along the entire length of the handles and feels like it could be the edge of the material that was rolled to make up the handle. You can't really see the wrinking but you can definitely feel it.

Anyone else experience this? I remember reading about a PFer who had a similar experience with wrinkled handles on a bbag from Elizabeth Thomas. Could it be that her bags are defects? How else can she sell new bbags at discount? If it's normal, then it won't bother me too much but it will bother me if its possible that I paid so much for a defective item. What should I do?

Thanks for your advice!

I doubt her bags are defects, because I don't think it's possible to buy defective bbags? Although I do wonder where she gets her new bags to sell at those prices... But anyway, the wrinkling under the handles sounds normal to me. That's common and not considered a defect. I don't know what you mean about the line though. Do you have a pic? Also, you should tell ET about your concerns and see what she says. She's supposed to be such a great seller so I'm sure she'd work something out with you.

One can go to Europe and get BBags for way less than US retail. Unless they get stopped by customs, there are no taxes to pay. They can then re-sell at a good profit.

Thanks, Pewter and Roxane.

A better way to describe the 'line' is that the handle seems to come to a squared off edge rather than be perfectly rounded and smooth. Here are 2 photos. The first one shows the side of the handle that is kind of squared and the second photo is of the other side of the handle which is normal to me.

Attachments

• handle1.jpg
    handle1.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 142
  • handle2.jpg
    handle2.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 117
I see what you mean! I've not had one like that yet - but I doubt it means anything. That's a beautiful bag. Just keep conditioning it (by hand) - it'll warm up - soften up.

Her bags aren't cheap?? not below retail anyway. I've had my eye on one for awhile.

Hmm, your handles look great to me Sngo! But if it bothers you, definitely tell ET about it.

Rocco, sometimes she lowers her prices and they are little cheap for new bags, like below retail sometimes.

Sngo - I just purchased a lilac twiggy from Elizabeth Thomas too. I noticed the line on the handles like you have pictured, but it doesn't bother me. I did notice, however, that the leather seems a bit dry. I'm new to the whole bbag thing, but I think I'm going to buy some LVM conditioner -- I'm afraid the leather will crack or something!

But I do love the bag though! :yahoo:

the first blue india first that i got from BalNy kinda had that little extra piping inside the handles. I dont think it is defect. but then again, it it bothers you, you should tell her.