ELF eyes lips face cosmetics opinions?

Elf is all about trial and error!! You will find some truly amazing and truly rubbish items. I love the elf eyelid primer and the studio complexion perfection !! The shadows aren't the best !! X

I have tryed all their $1 brushes and the eyeshadow ones are ok. The rest would be great for beginners. I love love the studio brushes. The flat top powder brush I love for foundation. I like the $1 blushes and studio blush. Love the blush/bronzer duo. Nail polish not so much. Lip gloss is great. Love the shadow stick eyeliner duo.

I have bought their eyebrow brush twice, and both times it was a total piece of crap. It fell apart within days, literally disintrigrating when I picked it up. I think the plastic reacts badly to my moisturizer that contains sunblock, and it just totally fell apart.

The luminizer I bought was nothing special. Very cheap and chalky. I don't like the studio eyeshadow brush, it's very hard and the bristles are too short.

Their face color stick thing was okay, but the pigmentation was weird. Their concealer was orange. All their "ivory" colored stuff was orange, and made me look like an ompa lompa. Not attractive.

All in all, their stuff is alright, but I was not impressed with anything I purchased, aside from the lip care stuff. I thought it all was very cheap and childish and like something you would give a 5 year old to play dress up with, or a teenager for their first makeup set or something.

ELF is very trial and error. At this point the only actual makeup items I would recommend from them are the mineral eyeshadows, the mineral eye primer (when used with their shadows), and some of the mineral blushes. I don't care for *any* of their other makeup. The mineral stuff is nice and IMHO works as well as Bare Escentuals. The mineral foundations are not great, but passable. I agree about the rest of the makeup being very cheap. I think it is very nice for trying out new colors, and good for teens or someone who wants to build up a lot of products without investing much. The packaging (especially on the Studio products) looks much nicer than traditional drugstore packaging.

I own every one of the Studio brushes, and I'm now upgrading my collection to MAC. Some of the Studio brushes are nice, some are okay, and some downright junky. The Studio brushes I stand behind are the stipple, the kabuki, and the flat top powder brush. I also liked the blush & complexion brushes. I didn't like any of their eye brushes. They were all too small and too oddly shaped to do anything worthwhile. Overall I would say the Studio brushes make a very nice set for someone starting out, or who doesn't want to spend a fortune on brushes. They're nice looking and some of them are comparable to higher end brushes. For $3 each and frequent sales, it really isn't much of a risk if you dislike them. I also have the ELF brush belt and I do really like it.

Lately I've been obsessed with the Studio Matte lip color in Natural. It's a great pinky, nude on it's own but also makes a great layering foundation. Love.it.

And try as I might to find a great inexpensive translucent/HD face powder that I can buy in an actual store, I fail. Their Studio HD powder works so well for me, I just hate ordering it constantly!

I actually really like their stuff. Most of their $1 line is very cheaply made so I stay away from it. I do like their studio and mineral line. i'm a fan of their eyeshadow primer, mineral eyeshadow, most lipsticks and lipglosses and studio blushes. Another good thing about elf is that they constantly have sales so I always get discounts on my order.

Just bought the $3 complexion brush at target today. I never actually heard much about it aside from on here and some of the youtube makeup vids i've watched. Do they advertise anywhere?

I love the studio brushes
I use the ELF Powder Brush to apply my liquid foundation. MUCH MUCH better than my 187 from MAC
I have about two of their brushes. while the brush itself is good, the silver hardware and the wooden handle are coming off, maybe i got a bad one. but i like their products. not bad, especially for the price.

The ferrel on one of my flat top powder brushes is loose too, for $3 I'll throw it away and get another :P It's lasted a few years so I def. got my $ worth!

The ferrel on one of my flat top powder brushes is loose too, for $3 I'll throw it away and get another :P It's lasted a few years so I def. got my $ worth!

Wow yours lasted a few years before it got loose??? The one I have now I got a few months ago and the ferrel got loose after the first two washes.. I pulled the handle out and super glued it and it was good as new. Now it's shedding! I love applying my liquid foundation with it but I can't stand shedding so I'm probably going to have to go ahead and toss it.

What are you washing with? And how are you drying it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have found that their powder products are quite flaky and they cake up on your skin. The lipglosses are okay, I've tried the dual ones with the color on one end and the plumper on the other. I have also tried both their pencil and liquid eyeliner and they both flake off during the day and in a few hours it was like you never applied them at all.

I have ordered from E.L.F once and will not do it again. The only upside is that I ordered about 30 things for under 40 dollars so it wasn't much money lost.
I am a makeup fanatic and I have found that in this market the more money spent, the better the quality.

If you have a loose ferrule, you can glue it. Superglue or wood glue will work. Takes about 30 seconds.

I used the flat top powder brush this morning for buffing on my mousse foundation. Amazing. It really is a very nice quality brush with good end results for the ridiculously cheap $3 price.

Wow yours lasted a few years before it got loose??? The one I have now I got a few months ago and the ferrel got loose after the first two washes.. I pulled the handle out and super glued it and it was good as new. Now it's shedding! I love applying my liquid foundation with it but I can't stand shedding so I'm probably going to have to go ahead and toss it.

Yeah and I have a second that I alternated between that's never come loose! Must just be hit or miss quality.