Elephant Matinee is just a dream now?

Couture_CL

Bags! Bags! Bags!
Jul 25, 2008
Hello ladies - I am a newcomer/follower on RM, just started obsessing over her bags about couple months ago, and throughout this past 2 months I've already bought and sold a few RM bags because for the life of me, I couldn't make up my mind on the style (MAB or MAM or Tote etc) nor color BUT lo and behold, yesterday I saw a matinee in real life and had finally realized this would be the "IT" bag for moi!!

From reading this forum I understand that the matinee is no longer being offered (or at least not this season), and I ABSOLUTELY LOVED the Elephant Matinee (of course you want more the things you couldn't have)......I wanted to know from all you "minkette" experts here, is ebay pretty much my only chance of ever getting this bag? So pretty much I should just forget about it right? :Push:

Related question: are discontinued styles/colors like the Elephant Matinee worth more than they retailed for? I've seen this with other bags, like past-season Bals, but not sure with RMs. There aren't too many Matties on ebay to make an educated guess, but I'm wondering if anyone else has tracked the prices of no-longer-made RMs to shed some light?

^ :thinking: Hmmm...good question. My sense is that they appreciate in value only when they are barely used or practically in mint condition, and are a highly coveted bag originally produced in small quantities. Whether or not they were in demand when originally produced would probably be a factor as well -- it seems that bags that mostly became popular after the fact and/or were only available from a sample sale are harder to find and therefore probably worth more in mint condition because RM will most likely not recut them. Otherwise, I think that they would sell for less. (This is the way that it tends to play out on ebay, at least).

For example, I would imagine that the wine Nikki with old HW has been recut so much now that maybe only a mint condition original cut of that bag with a particular lining would be considered worth more than current retail to a serious collector. In contrast, a barely used dark grey MAM with silver original HW goes for a good chunk of change now, since it's not being made anymore, has original HW, and has silver HW on top of all that. I would also anticipate that something like an original MAC in mint condition might sell now for more than it originally did just a few years ago.

But then again, we are talking about a designer who's just been around for a few years, so I don't think that at this point prices for RM bags that are no longer made are going to be that much higher than for current season bags. Only time will tell. I could very well be wrong. :yes:

Ladies - A little birdie gave me a lead couple weeks ago on a potentially available Elephant Matinee at a boutique and I called them up last week, GUESS WHAT!!?? IT IS AVAILABLE and my beloved bag arrived this morning!!! I was so excited I almost p***ed in my pants.

Elephant1.jpg

I know a lot of minkettes don't care about the leather on the elephant, but I'm the opposite, I am in love with this matinee, yes it is a bit stiff and more structured, but I think that's what drawn me into it.

family1.jpg

While I'm at it, I also took a few pictures of my purchases from the past couple of weeks. Yes, I also bought a black matinee with blue suede which is adorable!! The leather is so soft, complete opposite from the Elephant!!

dream1.jpg

And lastly, the DREAM bag, got it from Bluefly over Labor Day because of the discounts, I like the color combo but I'm not in love with the style. And I also think this is the last one left with the Bluefly warehouse, the bag was so dirty (literally dirt was coming off from the bottom of the bag with the pewter part), so needless to say this bag is going back. Thought I took some pictures of it while I had it.

Anyway, wanted to THANK YOU ladies for giving me pointers on the Elephant Matinee (especially the one who PMed me about it, you know who you are :yes:) You girls ROCK!! I love this forum!

Last edited:
RaeBelle - Thanks!! Yeah I know I guess I'm quite diverse in my tastes :P Purses to me is like emotions/moods, sometimes I want the structured look, sometimes I want the layback/casual go-to bag. I wanted different colors and textures for my RM bags so I don't feel like I am using the same bag over and over again (although DH thinks they all look the same, urgh, MEN they just don't get it)

I understand the handbag mood thing. With my matinee's I have structured - Elephant, smooshy - Sage and something in between - Wine. A matinee for every occasion :smile:

OOOMMMGGG!!!!!!! That elephant Mattie is to die for! How cool that you found it :smile:
Enjoy!
I also am a Matinee lover. I have six so far and I am going for 2 more soon ;)

Anilu - Even though I'm quite new to RM, I've been following the threads here and I think I know you are that famous Matinee collector :tup: I've recently developed an interest in the Matinee over the MABs, and I'm not a risk taker as you can see, my color scheme is quite boring....very neutral! But I LOVE LOVE LOVE :heart: the elephant color, it is probably my favorite color so far among all RM bags.