ELATION!! Remembering your FIRST Birkin...

Feb 18, 2008
Recently, I have been able to witness a friend acquire her first birkin. :tup:Seeing and feeling the excitement and joy reminded me of how much fun it was to get your first birkin!! Share the silly things you did when you got your first one!! :heart:

I got mine outside the US and was staying in a hotel. I literally took the bag with me when I walked around the hotel room..to the bathroom, to the hallway, next to my bed, so that I could see it when I rolled over!! :nuts: I know, crazy, but I was incredibly THRILLED beyond belief! The picture of my bag became my screensaver....I know, dorky, but hey, it was so so so exciting!

Oh I don't think it was silly at all. I got it with my husband here in town. They called and said "it's in" and it was friday evening so I said I'll come tomorow.

It was winter, December and hubby went with me and after that I insisted on going out for brunch/lunch and carrying my big box/bag to the restaurant.

I was so happy.

Great thread, thanks for posting looking foward to others reply.

Lol! Thats not dorky at all! When I recently acquired my first and only birkin I couldnt stop grinning I kept taking it out of its box and sashaying round the house with it stopping to look in mirrors lol! Trying on different outfits with it, accessorising it and sleeping with it in its box next to my bed lol! Its not my screensaver yet but thanks for the idea Hermesmonkey lol!:roflmfao:

Ah! My first and only birkin was purchased before I went to work. I left it at the boutique because I did not want to go to work with a HUGE orange bag! Needless to say, I did absolutely ZERO work that day, and decided to just skip out early. Oh, and yes, I treated myself to the express bus (gasp!) to go home instead of the usual crowded rush hour subway ride! My birkin got its very own seat on the bus!

omg I totally remember that day!! I took her home and ran out of the apartment with her. Walking around and checking out every single mirror along the way. I was so careful when walking along cps and was sooooo annoyed at people bumping into her. LOL!!! Then that night I couldn't sleep thinking about how pretty she was so I sat in the bathroom with her looking into the mirror doing 'modelling' post. :shame:

My first was a Birthday gift from my DH. It came by mail and arrived at my office....I opened the box slowly to prolong the anticipation:rolleyes:and there was the orange sleeper.

Slowly untied the brown string and saw the handles:yahoo:

Pushed the sleeper down ( kind of like a stripshow:shame:smile: and gazed at her for minutes. Carefully picked her up, turned her around looking at the bottom, sides, the inside....checking for the clochette..( kind of like seeing whether the baby is a boy or a girl!...uh...ahem:shrugs:)

She stayed by my side all day long and for days afterward. We had breakfast the next day with a 60's group, the Buckinghams, and she went right along with me.

Still have her......:heart: or I guess she still has me.....

My very first birkin was a 40 cm VN, 20 years old but in amazing condition, that I got from a veryveryvery dear tPF friend. The morning it came in, I opened it, danced around with it like a mad thing, and put a scratch on the corner within 5 minutes, since I stumbled into the doorway.

I conditioned it and gave it a gorgeous caramel patina with the help of another precious, dear PFer.

That bag has an element of excitement around it to this day because it was the first one I had, but it's even better because it's permanently linked in my mind with these 2 dear PFers.

And to tell the truth, I ended up getting teary-eyed when I bought my second at the boutique. I'm still not so jaded that I didn't get just as excited with my second. ummm...and third (shhhhhh, don't tell Mr.GGA. I'll stop. Seriously. The third is the last. I'm certain. No more. Except I might need green...Crap.)

I was so excited by my first birkin that I pounced on dh when he came home telling him that I have great news! Dh then immediately thought that I was pregnant. I had to correct him and told him that I finally got my birkin. To this day, Dh is still amazed about how a bag can get me as excited as when I first found out I was pregnant with my dd.

GGA, you definitely need some sort of GREEN!!! :yes:

:heart:

I really do, don't I?

I have a VA swift Lindy, and I'm currently flirting with the idea of a VA togo 40 cm Kelly. Because I NEEEEEED it for travel and stuff. And togo is completely different from swift, don't you think?

But all that aside, I'm betting I can easily talk myself into a green birkin of some sort...

You know, I actually got the same rush from my first Bolide and my Lindys, first Kelly, etc. I'm starting to think the rush is built into the dustbag somewhere. It has to be.

I love this thread!

I remember going to Bond Street and asking for my SA and she came out with the big orange box. I loved all the ceremony of it all - still do.

I remember her asking me to move away from the doors so they didnt get a fuss in the street outside (or maybe because she though I might do a runner with it haha) and my legs feeling a bit wobbly as I walked over to her!

I loved the slow unveiling, cellothane, lid, tissue, dustbag and then the smell! and then there she was, my beauty! after that I know we had a long conversation about looking after the leather, using the padlock, how to repack her and to this day I cant remember a single word of what the dear woman said!! the first time I used her it took me an hour to work out how to correctly put her back in the box!!!

Ahhhhh.... I then for a long time she lived on my dressing table so if I woke during the night I could look at her!!

Dear me. But hey - get your happiness where you can - right?