Travel Egyptian Tours?

Hats

Feb 16, 2007
Hopefully I can ask this here, but my boyfriend and I were thinking about going on a guided tour to Egypt, (we're thinking shortly after Christmas :wlae:) and I was wondering if anyone has ever gone there themselves?

Also, what did you bring? Or any helpful tips?

We were also thinking about planning a guided tour through Globus (hope I can say that) and I was wondering if anyone had experiences with them or could suggest another tour company?

I'm so excited, I can barely contain it :yahoo:, but I want to have the best, more thorough trip that I can possibly have.

TIA!!!

OMG OMG OMG!

I went to Egypt in... 2002? 2003? It is - to this day - my all time favorite destination!

I am so incredibly excited for you. I am dying to get back there and show it to my fiance.

I'm at work right now - when I get home I'll write a detailed response. I just wanted to say how excited I was for you! Heehee!:wlae:

I went with my mom and grandma.

First of all, when I went we stayed with and were shown around by a friend of ours who was stationed at the U.S. Embassy in Cairo. We stayed with them in an Embassy compound in Zamalek (an island in the Nile in Cairo). So I'm not sure about tour companies. I've been on two Globus bus tours (Great Britain and Norway) and was very happy with both - although I have to say both had about 90% older people (I'm talking the age of my grandparents). I didn't mind. They were fun-loving people with lots of character. I will say that if you go on a tour, make the effort to do some activities on your own to get out there and really experience Egypt. Because we were with a "local," we really felt immersed in Egypt. Because it's so hot there, people stay up until 1 or 2 in the morning and sleep in. We were out walking around in Cairo after midnight with the locals. Something we definitely wouldn't have done on a tour. One of my most distinct memories was when we were walking around one afternoon and we saw a tour bus go by... everyone inside looked at us as if we were crazy to be out alone, while they were in their bus. It was funny!

I can assure you I felt VERY safe in Egypt, which is a concern for a lot of people. I felt more at ease in Egypt than I did in some parts of San Francisco!!! The Egyptian people are absolutely lovely and very concerned about their reputation in the United States. I went shortly after 9/11, and as tourism is a major part of the Egyptian economy, they were really afraid. Several people I met told me to "please tell my friends back in the United States that Egypt was safe and we were treated well." I certainly was.

First of all, I went in... Spring or Summer, so I'm not much of a help in terms of what to wear. I can say that although it's a Muslim country, it's not terribly strict. I walked around all over without my hair covered and was never hassled. I did keep my legs and shoulders covered out of respect and to blend in a bit more.

So much more to say --- PM me if you have any specific questions or anything though!

Oh, awesome!! That's so great to hear that someone has actually been there!

My biggest question was whether or not I should take a guided tour (the Globus tour included 12 days, going on a 3 day cruise down the Nile, tours of the Valley of the Kings, etc, Aswan, Edfu, Luxor, breakfasts/lunches/dinners) or just kind of feel everything out at my own pace. Obviously, if I were to feel things out as I went, I don't know if I would be able to get down to Luxor/Aswan, etc.

I think I definitely agree with you that I don't want to feel like, : Now it's time to do this....oh, quick! Get something to eat, cause now we have to do this...

Eeeee! I'm so excited! I have wanted to go to Egypt since I was a little girl -- I've been infatuated about going there.

Hey, I went on a guided tour with Trafalgar about a month ago...it was amazing! I had the most wonderful tour guide and a wonderful time!

The only thing - I felt that it was not quite as safe as my travel agency made it seem. We had a little fiasco where we got stuck on a train for nearly 48 hours because of a derailed train in front of us...we were stopped in a not-so-tourist-friendly city, so we weren't allowed to get off the train. After that, we had an armed bodyguard everywhere we went.

Hats, definitely, DEFINITELY go on a guided tour. I would not at all advise going around on your own. I asked several people about this when I was there, and they said this was not a good idea. While most of Egypt is really friendly with tourists, some parts of it are not; some people there who don't support the government see an attack on tourists as an attack on the government, since tourism pretty much supports the country. Even my tour guide said that the easiest way for them to make a statement would be to attack tourists.

But it is totally worth going. It was one of my most amazing trips. I went to China last summer and to the Galapagos Islands the summer before that, and I can easily say that Egypt takes the cake. Is it definitely a place that everyone should visit if they can!

p.s. feel free to PM me with any questions!

I'm glad that you said that it wasn't a good thing to travel on your own through Egypt. I had thought about the possible dangers, and I definitely see how you could unknowingly travel into the "bad areas" of town.

But, my biggest thing was, well, how was I supposed to get down to Karnak/Luxor/Edfu, etc. Lol! I don't trust myself enough overseas to try and find my way down, let alone back...and safely. Phew!

Well I'm Egyptian, living in Egypt, so maybe I can help you out a little bit :smile:)

Where are you planning to visit? I can maybe search for a few tour companies for you or something....though obviously I don't use them here

Well --- I think we are planning on going on one of the Trafalgar tours. It starts in Cairo, and goes through Luxor, Edfu, and Aswan, as well as a couple other smaller towns as well.

My biggest questions are: What should I wear? What is considered appropriate? Something to definitely avoid?

Anything that I should bring that would help me out? I've already heard that I need some kind of power converter as well as maybe some over-the-counter medicine in case my stomach isn't used to the different styles of food/drink/etc.

But what would YOU suggest? I just want to know so that I don't look silly, lol. I'd like to blend in and cause as little "Omg, she's a tourist!" as possible. :smile:

Ok, I have been to Egypt many times, ( i am half arab myself) but have not been recently. My advice is that if you are going to be going to lots of places Luxor etc its probably easier to go with a tour. Places like Cairo, Sharm ElSheikh etc, are pretty safe to walk around without a tour guide.
Egypt is not a very conservative country, but depending on where you are within Egypt it would be more appropriate to dress conservatively, even if its just to not draw attention to yourself. Pants/jeans and a tshirt, things like that will be more than acceptable.
Food wise, stay away from salads, or anything that has not been cooked as a general rule. Also only drink from cans that are closed and that are opened infront of you. No ice. In Cairo especially you will be able to find many american chain restaurants, but even still stick to that rule as a general guide.
If you have any qs please feel free to ask, I dont have ALOT of up to date knowledge on Egypt but I will be more than willing to help you as much as I can.