Travel egypt??????

I went this past October, and it was REALLY hot (upper 90's), so any earlier would be impossible! Especially in a country where you must dress modestly, you have no idea how many times I wanted to opt for shorts and a tank top (usually wore knee-length skirts with tees), but didn't want to be a "typical disrespectful American."

This article is great for Cairo: http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/02/03/travel/03hours.html

Also, eat at El Abu Sid, by far my absolute favorite restaurant in Egypt. And Sofitel's Buddah Bar for great drinks.

Overall, I'm glad I went to see everything, but I wouldn't go back, mostly for the hassle factor and so many tourists I often felt like I was at a gigantic Disney World (or something like that). BUT, I LOVE Alexandria, and would go back for sure.

On a side note, I loved that everyone we talked to there about visiting Africa (we flew in from Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania) would say things like "oh, I want to visit Africa" as in, they don't feel like Egypt is in Africa (culturally, it really isn't), but I was just so surprised by that!

I went this past October, and it was REALLY hot (upper 90's), so any earlier would be impossible! Especially in a country where you must dress modestly, you have no idea how many times I wanted to opt for shorts and a tank top (usually wore knee-length skirts with tees), but didn't want to be a "typical disrespectful American."

This article is great for Cairo: http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/02/03/travel/03hours.html

Also, eat at El Abu Sid, by far my absolute favorite restaurant in Egypt. And Sofitel's Buddah Bar for great drinks.

Overall, I'm glad I went to see everything, but I wouldn't go back, mostly for the hassle factor and so many tourists I often felt like I was at a gigantic Disney World (or something like that). BUT, I LOVE Alexandria, and would go back for sure.

On a side note, I loved that everyone we talked to there about visiting Africa (we flew in from Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania) would say things like "oh, I want to visit Africa" as in, they don't feel like Egypt is in Africa (culturally, it really isn't), but I was just so surprised by that!

I second the Abu Sid recommendation.

I'm surprised there were so many tourists in October! I went in May and couldn't believe how few people there were at the Pyramids. And when we went to Saqqara (specifically the Step Pyramid), we were literally the only people there!!

They're saying the truth, technically. Only a part of Egypt is in Africa. The other is in Asia.

i went one time end of december to early january, there weren't a lot of tourists, and the weather was perfect. if you go to egypt i highly recommend going to sharm el shiekh for a few days it was so relaxing and gorgeous. if you want to go shopping with no hassle city stars a new mall opened up a few years ago, it's huge and has a wide variety of stores. and if you want souvenirs etc go to khan el khalili it's the cheapest but the sellers are kind of obnoxious, and you can haggle.

i went one time end of december to early january, there weren't a lot of tourists, and the weather was perfect. if you go to egypt i highly recommend going to sharm el shiekh for a few days it was so relaxing and gorgeous. if you want to go shopping with no hassle city stars a new mall opened up a few years ago, it's huge and has a wide variety of stores. and if you want souvenirs etc go to khan el khalili it's the cheapest but the sellers are kind of obnoxious, and you can haggle.

Thanks. We're thinking of booking a trip for Xmas time.