Effie tote or over size Alexa???

Jordyaddict

Feb 3, 2014
Hi all

So I currently use a regular delrey for work and I'm looking to get a bag with a long strap for work.

I want to buy a black bag and it's come down to either the oversize Alexa or Effie tote. I already have a regular Alexa and find I don't have enough room in it for my work stuff like I do the delrey.

I haven't seen either in real life and was wanted to know what you would pick.

Hi all

So I currently use a regular delrey for work and I'm looking to get a bag with a long strap for work.

I want to buy a black bag and it's come down to either the oversize Alexa or Effie tote. I already have a regular Alexa and find I don't have enough room in it for my work stuff like I do the delrey.

I haven't seen either in real life and was wanted to know what you would pick.
Personally I'd go with the Effie. I swithered over buying one a couple of years ago. Stupidly I bought an East West Bays instead. I have regretted it ever since. A am not a fan of the Lexi, though I can't put my finger on why.

There is currently an effie tote on evilbay, need authenticating of course but seems a good price.

I like both, bit think the effie will hold its shape better. My boss had OS and it looked all floppy, of course would look better with a samgora insert

Happy choosing!

Defo the Effie! Oversized Alexa is annoyingly floppy.
I love both bags but wonder how the effie tote will be with regards to structure too?? I've this leather in a satchel/hobo, which is suitably slouchy but...I'd be expecting a tote to be more rigid. I think if I wanted a tote, I'd be more likely to go for a bayswater tote.

I was deciding between these 2 bags last week while visiting the boutique. Like you, I wanted an everyday work bag that I can shove around. Also, I have a regular Alexa in buffalo which is very slouchy. Here are my observations:

Bag Option #1: Effie Tote in black spongy leather
- lightweight, good size to fit my daily essentials
- I am 5'-2" and can wear the bag crossbody. The bag sits along my hip area.
- I noticed that the shoulder strap is not adjustable and so, I think someone much taller than me would be more comfortable carrying the bag not in a crossbody fashion
- I love that the bag can be handheld and worn on the shoulder - it's versatile
- structure-wise, the shape is pliable. Not as slouchy as my regular Alexa in buffalo. I can see the bag accommodate the sometimes odd-shaped things I have to carry with me.
- the leather has a matte finish which I was not too much a fan of.

Bag Option #2: Oversized Alexa in black polished buffalo
- beautiful finish on the leather and I thought the quality of the hardware was better in the sense that it felt more solid
- good size. lots of room to fit daily essentials
- can definitely be worn cross body and the shoulder strap is adjustable
- can be carried hand-held, too
- structure is a bit slouchy but not too slouchy as my regular Alexa when I first bought it. I noticed that the buffalo leather on this bag is thicker than my regular Alexa.
- I can tell that the leather will relax overtime and as confirmed by the SA

Bag Option #3: Oversized Alexa in pavement grey calf
- Same comments as option #2. I really loved the quality of the calf leather and nickel hardware.
- this bag is structured due to the type of leather. I loved that it retained its shape when I carried it.
- light-colored canvas interior lining which the other 2 bags don't have. This makes it easier for me to look for my things.

Both bag styles were definitely versatile and could be used as an everyday work bag. My personal choice was to go with the oversized Alexa in pavement grey calf. I thought the quality of the materials on the oversized Alexa was better. I loved how the calf leather retained the Alexa's structure. I was considering a black bag but then, I've also been wanting a grey bag :smile: Price-wise, the oversized Alexa is more expensive but with the upcoming sale at 30% off, I realized that I was getting a better value with the Alexa. On the other hand, the Effie tote in black will not be going on sale.

I hope this helps you make your decision

Thank you for such a detailed review. It was really helpful.

I phoned today and spoke to a SA at Chester oaks and I thought I was set on buying the over size Alexa...... But I then was told they had some oversize Bryan in shiny grain in black :love: which the SA said was idea for work and I was sold.

So I completely changed my mine and went for that.

Thank you for such a detailed review. It was really helpful.

I phoned today and spoke to a SA at Chester oaks and I thought I was set on buying the over size Alexa...... But I then was told they had some oversize Bryan in shiny grain in black :love: which the SA said was idea for work and I was sold.

So I completely changed my mine and went for that.

Yay! Congratulations on your OS Bryn :smile: Glad I could help.

Ok I think I'm going mad ....:wacko::cray:

After sleeping on it I think the os Bryn not girly enough for me!

But the os Alexa will look too big as I'm 5ft 4....

So I have decided after talking my self out of it as I thought it was going to be to small is the regular Alexa in black. I love my valentine Alexa and I know I'll use it for work and the weekend so I will use it more.