Eeek gads, thinking of new Speedy handles!!!

Ammietwist

Feb 5, 2006
I need a therapist to sort this one out. My Speedy 25 is the second LV piece I ever bought, and it developed a dark patina on the handles pretty quickly. I don't think I've carried it in 12 years, and here I am thinking of getting the handles replaced. For what? To sit in my closet? Given my current taste in handbags, it seems like a bottomless pit in comparison, and there's only the one pocket so I'd need to start carrying a small makeup case--hey, I could use the Wapity for that! I've been looking for an excuse to get one so that could be it. :P So the Wapity is X amount, the handles are Y...and maybe I should go off and buy an Hermes scarf instead. :lol:

I couldn't just have an Hermes OR an LV addition, no, I had to get both. :wacko:

OMG! I am in the same boat as you. I have carried my Speedy 25 maybe 5 times in the past 10 years but now I am tempted by all the new Speedys posted on the PF! :weird: Do you know how much it is to change the handles and do they change the little tabs also? I was thinking that it would look weird with brand new handles and dark patina everywhere else. Does that make sense?

Ammie,
If you don't use the bag that often, I would go for the Wapity. Its soo cute and the dark patina on the Speedy handles is like a trademark of the Speedy.

Fopduck,
To my knowledge they do not change the little tabs when changing the handlesbut perhaps you may be able to request it. You might have to pay an extra charge.

Replacing the handles, leaf, and piping would be considered a complete leather replacement. I asked about this before acquiring my white Eye Retro, and was told that a complete leather replacement is 2/3 the cost of a new bag. They don't want to do it unless it's absolutely necessary, so it's pretty expensive. If you think about it, they have to take the bag completely apart, and reassemble it, so that's factored into the cost.

I was wondering about that too (replacing tabs and that) I guess it would be worth it if the bag was in really good shape except for the leather.

Let us know if you decide to get rid of the Speedy! :amuse:

I replaced the handles on my shopping sac and then had them do the inside border around the top, which included the lining and I think with shipping it was about $170 or so. I tried to find the receipt, but my filing skills are pretty bad. :blink:

That's what I remember from my days selling LV, and of the bags I took in for repair, all but one of the Speedys was in for a handle replacement. One person did manage to seriously damage the leather piping at the bottom and some of the mono. I believe they told her that she might as well buy a new bag because they'd actually have to sew well into the mono as well as replace all the leather (like you said, totally take it apart).

ColtsFan86 said:
Replacing the handles, leaf, and piping would be considered a complete leather replacement. I asked about this before acquiring my white Eye Retro, and was told that a complete leather replacement is 2/3 the cost of a new bag. They don't want to do it unless it's absolutely necessary, so it's pretty expensive. If you think about it, they have to take the bag completely apart, and reassemble it, so that's factored into the cost.

That's certainly a consideration if I get back on the Speedy bandwagon. Normally I don't like satchels, and when I carry a bag on my arm, my elbow acts up so I may not go there, but my brain is certainly thinking about it right NOW. LOL

kathyrose said:
You can sell it and get a new one.

The only reason I was thinking of replacing the handles is because the patina is so dark, but I'm definitely eyeing the Wapity no matter what. I just have to come up with even the flimsiest of excuses to get it. :wacko:

LVgirly said:
Ammie,
If you don't use the bag that often, I would go for the Wapity. Its soo cute and the dark patina on the Speedy handles is like a trademark of the Speedy.

I'm not sure about the price, but all the talk about the Speedy is what fired up my interest as well. Too funny that we're thinking the same thing.

fopduck said:
OMG! I am in the same boat as you. I have carried my Speedy 25 maybe 5 times in the past 10 years but now I am tempted by all the new Speedys posted on the PF! :weird: Do you know how much it is to change the handles and do they change the little tabs also? I was thinking that it would look weird with brand new handles and dark patina everywhere else. Does that make sense?

the whole leather part on my mini looping is pretty messed up and i was considerig replacing them. Vuitton would not have to take apart the entire bag because there is hardware that connects the leather through the canvas. I have to go in to get it appraised so i'll see how much it may cost. The bag needs help though, it would look totally brand new!!

How dark is it? If you haven't carried it at all really, the patina set in still? I'm curious to know how dark it will become if you don't use it and just store it.

brittee829 said:
the whole leather part on my mini looping is pretty messed up and i was considerig replacing them. Vuitton would not have to take apart the entire bag because there is hardware that connects the leather through the canvas. I have to go in to get it appraised so i'll see how much it may cost. The bag needs help though, it would look totally brand new!!

I think the looping handle is around $100 - not too bad to make your bag look brand new!