Educate me: what makes a bag a HOBO?

No Cute

cupcake butt
Aug 17, 2008
I thought I knew...but I'm growing more confused the more bags I see that say: hobo. Four hobo bags. The little red image is classic hobo, imo, so that's there for comparison.

1000021449.jpg

NMV0635_mh.jpg

shim.gif
shim.gif
shim.gif

Last edited:
I have always thought a hobo bag is a shoulder bag, usually medium to large in size, and is slouchy. The first bag to me is a shoulder bag, but is not a hobo. The bag on the bottom left looks to me like a tote. The patent bag on the bottom right is closer to the hobo shape, but I have always that that a hobo is typically softer than the bag pictured, so that when you set it down, it will slouch more.

The first and second do not look like hobos to me, I agree with the poster above that said that one looks like a shoulder bag and the other a tote. The third one is iffy but close...the last definitely looks like a hobo. It seems like the term is being used more and more indiscriminately these days.

Linda

I would say a hobo can't exactly stand up. They're more of a circle shape
The base is an arc and continues to circle with the handle. I usually consider them small, but i guess they can be large?? the word "hobo" reminds me of 'small' though.. The 3rd and 4th pics best describe a hobo. esp that last pic

So I DID understand...thank you...the first two have me so confused.

1. Elliott Lucca Runway Hobo
2. Bottega Veneta Woven Leather Hobo, large
3. Ferragamo Luchetto Hobo
4. Ferragamo Hobo Handbag

Hobos are shoulder bags. Shoulder bags is more of a general term. A tote could be a shoulder bag also.

Hobos are generally slouchy, but can be more structured also. Generally it has one strap and is meant for shoulder use only. It's not really a hobo if you can't wear it on your shoulder.

the term came from the actual word hobo:
ho·bo
thinsp.png
/ˈhoʊ
thinsp.png
boʊ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[hoh-boh] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –noun, plural -bos, -boes. 1.a tramp or vagrant. 2.a migratory worker.

these "migratory workers" would take a large piece of fabric and tie it into a bundle, place it on the end of a stick and this is how they would carry their belongings from place to place.

at least... this is what they taught me at FIT... :lol: so who knows! :biggrin:

these "migratory workers" would take a large piece of fabric and tie it into a bundle, place it on the end of a stick and this is how they would carry their belongings from place to place.

Very interesting, thanks for posting this bit of info!

Linda

Hobos are shoulder bags. Shoulder bags is more of a general term. A tote could be a shoulder bag also.

Hobos are generally slouchy, but can be more structured also. Generally it has one strap and is meant for shoulder use only. It's not really a hobo if you can't wear it on your shoulder.

the term came from the actual word hobo:
ho·bo
thinsp.png
/ˈhoʊ
thinsp.png
boʊ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[hoh-boh] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –noun, plural -bos, -boes. 1.a tramp or vagrant. 2.a migratory worker.

The first and true hobo :P

rossho_hobostick_feb_07.jpg

trains_hobos_008_med.jpg