Ebay'sstupid new policy

sweetxoxo76

Oct 28, 2007
So, today I got an email saying that Ebay is pulling my listing (i sell shower invitations and favor tags NOT purses) because it says "We will also accept money orders". I think because I paid for the listing and they took my money and changed their policies on me, they should either reimburse me or let the listing run it's course. Don't you think it's unfair? I'm strongly considering never using Ebay again.

It's not a new policy. It has been around for a while and has been discussed in a bunch of threads. You could do a search, but the bottom line is that it's yet another fBay policy that most sellers disagree with.

FYI: [source: fBay]

Other methods of payment – ... Payment by check, cashier’s check, or money order isn’t allowed for most eBay purchases. Exceptions include vehicles, capital and business equipment, real estate, items in the Adult Only category, and items that will be picked up in person. For details, see Accepted Payments Policy.

For some categories, sellers can also accept:

• Bank-to-bank transfers (also known as bank wire transfers and bank cash transfers)
  • Checks
  • Money orders
  • Any of the following online payment services: Allpay.net, cash2india, CertaPay, Checkfree.com, hyperwallet.com, Nochex.com, Ozpay.biz, XOOM
These payment choices can be offered only for items in the following categories:

• [long list including motors, real estate, adult only]

Payment methods not allowed on eBay:

• Mail them cash
  • Send cash or money orders through instant cash transfer services (non-bank, point-to-point cash transfers) like Western Union or MoneyGram
  • Mail checks or money orders (except for items in categories specifically permitted above)

Money orders are allowed to be taken on ebay if a customer requests that a seller take one.

From the Accepted Payments Policy

Payment methods not allowed on eBay:

Sellers can't ask buyers to:

• Mail them cash
  • Send cash or money orders through instant cash transfer services (non-bank, point-to-point cash transfers) like Western Union or MoneyGram
  • Mail checks or money orders (except for items in categories specifically permitted above)
  • Pay through bank-to-bank transfers (except for items in categories specifically permitted above)
  • Pay by "topping off" of a seller's prepaid credit or debit card
  • Payment using online payment methods not specifically permitted in this policy
  • Payment using payment methods not listed in this policy

Notice that Ebay is very specific that a seller cannot ask to be paid by those methods. But they have also been very specific that if asked, a seller can take money orders etc.

Here's a copy of post from Seller's Central which is a board on the ebay forum. Jim Griffith is an ebay employee and is a Seller Advocate. He has a thread on Seller's Central which is called "Ask Griff" The writing in blue is Griff's answer and he is speaking for ebay.

Posted by belladonna4 on Jan-17-09 08:20

Hello Griff,

Has eBay informed sellers directly that they may accept paper payments upon buyer request?

If not, when will that take place?

thankyou

We addressed this during the three day chat session held on August 8th. Although sellers may accept a request from a buyer to accept a non approved payment method, we do not plan, now or in the future, to promote this.

There have been numerous posts on the ebay boards about this and other posters have been told by ebay employees that sellers MAY accept money orders if a buyer requests it.

So bottom line is ebay will not let a seller put in their listing that they take money orders. But money orders are allowed on ebay if a buyer requests to use one.

So if you want to pay with a money order, you are well within your right to ask your seller if they will accept one. Of course, it is a seller's choice whether or not they will take one.

I agree with joy2shop. You can't advertise it and you can't do it all the time. There have been numerous posts on many of the ebay boards about accepting money orders.

Ebay does have a BOT that is searching listings and ME pages for the word money order and pulling the listings.

I think in my 5 years of selling, I have only received maybe 10 money orders. It is a rarity to even get someone asking if you accept them anyway.

I just received an ASQ last week about a money order. She paid, I marked as Payment Received and I got positive FB.

When you list your items it tells you the new rule. It also told you that after a certain date if you continued to offer Money Orders as a source of payment, they would pull your listings.

Now, they simply will not let you list if you accept money orders.

They have had this warning for 2 months or more.

There's a difference between a rule and what they can make or can't make you do or not do. Two different concepts. I'm referring to the rules. My understanding is no MOs. We'll have to agree to disagree.

There's a difference between a rule and what they can make or can't make you do or not do. Two different concepts. I'm referring to the rules. My understanding is no MOs. We'll have to agree to disagree.

I am referring to the rules too. They say that a seller can not ask for a money order. It does not say anywhere in the rules that a seller can not accept a money order. And since ebay has endorsed in writing in more than two places that sellers can accept money orders if asked to, I consider that a rule.

Agreeing to disagree is fine, we are entitled to our own opinions. :yes:
karmen you have tons of knowledge about ebay and its fantastic that you have helped so many people with ebay problems. I agree with what you say most of the time and I think you have great problem solving skills. But I have this fault that if someone states something as a definate fact and I think that it is an opinion rather than a fact, then I have a tough time not saying something about it. :smile:

littlerock I agree that a buyer does not have the same protection with a money order but there are buyers who will not give their credit or bank information online and ebay was one of the few online venues where they could use a money order. If a seller chooses to accept a money order and a buyer wants to use one, then I don't think that ebay has a right to restrict that. Ebay has po'd enough buyers and sellers, why alienate even more of them. JMHO

OK I'm done....I think. :peace:

You can take them if the buyer asks if you will. You cannot say in your ad or listing in any way, shape or form that you take them. It has to be at the buyers initiative.