eBay's global shipping program

Aug 22, 2010
I recently noticed a link when I'm making my listings to participate in eBay's Global Shipping Program.

Has anyone tried this out yet? I'm intrigued but a smidge hesitant. I do ship internationally but I only ship usps express which is expensive but lowers my anxiety about international shipping a bit.

Oh wow thanks for those links. I was being seduced by the lure of not having to be responsible for the item being lost or damaged.

If it ain't broke don't fix it...so I'll just stick to what I have been doing.

I started reading those links and wow, totally turned me off ever using that global shipping program.

i got the offer as well.

if i enroll, i will get 50% off my final value fees until march 31.

i plan on getting rid of a lot of items during february and march. i'm considering it.

I opted in when they were trying it out and invited me to join. I was in it for 7 days and then opted out when I noticed that my international sales dropped by 75%.

I recently noticed a link when I'm making my listings to participate in eBay's Global Shipping Program.

Has anyone tried this out yet? I'm intrigued but a smidge hesitant. I do ship internationally but I only ship usps express which is expensive but lowers my anxiety about international shipping a bit.

Ouch... I live in Sweden....
and do LOT of buying on ebay.....
I bought from a few sellers who used Express, and for shipping to Sweden... it is SO NOT worth that kind of money....

It cost twice as much to ship Express than it does Priority....
and both are trackable to my door.... and both require my signature...
However, Express arrives about 3-5 days LATER than Priority......
in my eyes.... Express should be just that... EXPRESS.....

Of course it depends on what country you are shipping to.....

I wish there was a website that would rate each countries Postal System....
and describe the way customers receive their packages....

Like for example....
Sweden has one of the FASTED most reliable postal systems in ALL of the world.......
Here in Sweden, EVERYTHING is either brought to your door.... and is HANDED right to you.... or you are given a ticket to go pick it up at your
local Postal Service Store..... Packages are NEVER left on your door step...

There is REALLY no way I could receive an item, and lie about it... since no matter what, it is handed right to me personally....

Then you have Italy, that has very slow and corrupt postal system.....
Customs can take weeks.... and I have read that there is a LOT of theft from the Postal Employees..... I have heard it is one of the most corrupt postal systems in Europe.......

Being I live in a country with such a reliable system.... it is annoying that I have to pay the same as somebody in Italy, where their postal system is not so reliable.....

i got the offer as well.

if i enroll, i will get 50% off my final value fees until march 31.

i plan on getting rid of a lot of items during february and march. i'm considering it.

I will not buy from any seller who is using this program.....

I live in Sweden.... IF I get hit with customs it is around 40% of the
declared value....
I am LUCKY as they overlook MANY of my packages....
I sure do not want that to end.....
I do not want to be forced to pay Customs on EVERY single item I buy....
I would stop buying on ebay all together if ALL Sellers opt in to this GSP.....

I was listing something today... and even though I am in Sweden it asked if I wanted to opt in......

In fact they make it hard and tricky NOT to... You really have to pay attention when listing so that you don't accidentally opt in when trying to add International Shipping......

Ouch... I live in Sweden....
and do LOT of buying on ebay.....
I bought from a few sellers who used Express, and for shipping to Sweden... it is SO NOT worth that kind of money....

It cost twice as much to ship Express than it does Priority....
and both are trackable to my door.... and both require my signature...
However, Express arrives about 3-5 days LATER than Priority......
in my eyes.... Express should be just that... EXPRESS.....

Of course it depends on what country you are shipping to.....

I wish there was a website that would rate each countries Postal System....
and describe the way customers receive their packages....

Like for example....
Sweden has one of the FASTED most reliable postal systems in ALL of the world.......
Here in Sweden, EVERYTHING is either brought to your door.... and is HANDED right to you.... or you are given a ticket to go pick it up at your
local Postal Service Store..... Packages are NEVER left on your door step...

There is REALLY no way I could receive an item, and lie about it... since no matter what, it is handed right to me personally....

Then you have Italy, that has very slow and corrupt postal system.....
Customs can take weeks.... and I have read that there is a LOT of theft from the Postal Employees..... I have heard it is one of the most corrupt postal systems in Europe.......

Being I live in a country with such a reliable system.... it is annoying that I have to pay the same as somebody in Italy, where their postal system is not so reliable.....

Totally agree with you. I live in Canada. For so many years on eBay the only packages I did not receive were the ones not shipped. I never buy from sellers who use Express. Express is just two days faster than Priority and always get hit with duties and taxes and let’s not forget “handling” fee. Canada Post may have some issues but losing mail is not one of them. Even a package from China that was supposed to come in May showed up in August (the seller had reshipped and I paid for the second one).
I think eBay is pushing the sellers to use more expensive shipping because eBay now collects 11% of the shipping charges on top on Final Value fees.

Totally agree with you. I live in Canada. For so many years on eBay the only packages I did not receive were the ones not shipped. I never buy from sellers who use Express. Express is just two days faster than Priority and always get hit with duties and taxes and let’s not forget “handling” fee. Canada Post may have some issues but losing mail is not one of them. Even a package from China that was supposed to come in May showed up in August (the seller had reshipped and I paid for the second one).
I think eBay is pushing the sellers to use more expensive shipping because eBay now collects 11% of the shipping charges on top on Final Value fees.

Actually, FVF is not charged on the international shipping only on domestic (US). Ebay and Paypal requires that sellers ship via methods that are trackable, in order for seller protection to apply. Express mail is always trackable, Priority is not. Sometimes Priority is scanned, sometimes it is not. That is why most sellers that sell expensive items ship only via Express. The buyers will always get their money back by filing an INR case, even if they receive the item, but it does not show as delivered online. Sellers have to protect themselves.

Actually, FVF is not charged on the international shipping only on domestic (US). Ebay and Paypal requires that sellers ship via methods that are trackable, in order for seller protection to apply. Express mail is always trackable, Priority is not. Sometimes Priority is scanned, sometimes it is not. That is why most sellers that sell expensive items ship only via Express. The buyers will always get their money back by filing an INR case, even if they receive the item, but it does not show as delivered online. Sellers have to protect themselves.

Priority is trackable to Canada and requires signature upon delivery. Always.

Off course, if you are shedding couple of Ks for a bag, Express is probably the way to go. Still, as the one who foots the bill and customs at all I just walk away when I see Express.

and for Sweden, Priority is fully trackable to my door... and signature required....

and as I mentioned before Express takes LONGER to arrive to Sweden.....

I hate paying for a SERVICE that I am not receiving.....
If it says Express... it should arrive FASTER..... Yet, it doesn't.....

However.... again.... it depends on the country you are shipping to....

If I was in the USA I would most likely use Express for shipping to Italy..... or other countries that have less than reliable postal systems.......

I just hate it when sellers treat ALL countries as if they have poor postal service.....

I'm a seller.... I treat each country differently....
If I fear that the country does not have good service... I will just not sell to that country....

This is not correct. With the latest USPS postal rates increase, there is now tracking on FCI (first class international) and also on the priority FRE and SFRB. Prior to January 27, those 3 services were not trackable.

But regular priority mail -- medium and large FRB and non-flat rate boxes were always trackable.

This is not correct. With the latest USPS postal rates increase, there is now tracking on FCI (first class international) and also on the priority FRE and SFRB. Prior to January 27, those 3 services were not trackable.

But regular priority mail -- medium and large FRB and non-flat rate boxes were always trackable.

Right now First Class is trackable only to Canada and it is a very recent change. Priority is trackable for the most part, but not always. USPS contracts with different postal carriers in other countries. It depends on that particular contract with that particular countries carrier how the tracking for Priority is handled and also what the procedure is should you have to initiate an inquiry/search for the package. Priority procedures are more complicated and lengthy as compared to Express procedures. For example, if you initiate an inquiry for an Express package that is gone missing going to Russia, Russia has 14 days to respond to this inquiry. If it is Priority, Russia has 30 days to respond. Most buyers are not willing to wait that long and it creates issues. That said, there are plenty of countries that I have no problem wit Priority packages being tracked all the way and not getting "lost". I also know how the mail is handled in the most countries I ship to, which carriers USPS contracts with and how to search for tracking online with the carriers directly, but that is because I have been in this business for 7 years and just learned over the years how they operate. Of course, it is impossible to know every country's postal issues or non-issues and most sellers don't know all these details. Should the buyer desire a specific shipping service that may not be listed as an option, they should email the seller and ask. I ship via both methods: Priority and Express. I get email all the time asking to ship via First Class and although not often, I may consider it depending on the price of the item and the country. The buyer should also communicate any preferences or details that they have knowledge of about their postal system, so the seller can make appropriate decisions. The point is, buyers and sellers need to communicate about the shipping options and any potential issues that may or may not arise.