Ebay Username changes- why??

Fishy:
Prior username was associated with various negative situations via a google search, toolhaus search, etc.

Valid:
Sometimes when people first sign up for ebay, they are young and pick something rather juvenile sounding and/or unprofessional. When they wish to be taken more seriously (whether as a seller, buyer, or both), they decide to change their usernames.

People select usernames that contain sensitive information, such as portions of email addresses or other identifying information.

Why do ebayers change their usernames? What would be valid and fishy reasons behind that? Thank you for the insight!

That's a good question. If you're not hiding anything, there's really no reason. Unless you're 30 and your username is something like BaBy_SuGaR_CaNdY_FaIrY_PrInCeSs (omg that was horrible to type.) from 12 years ago when you were 18 and you realize how ridiculous that sounds now...lmao.

bf's username is from something I'm not even sure he's interested in anymore...From 9 years ago...When he was 18. lol. He hasn't bothered touching it. Then again, he might not even know he has that option. It's nothing childish even, really. We share the account now so I might suggest it... :thinking:

Fishy:
Prior username was associated with various negative situations via a google search, toolhaus search, etc.

Valid:
Sometimes when people first sign up for ebay, they are young and pick something rather juvenile sounding and/or unprofessional. When they wish to be taken more seriously (whether as a seller, buyer, or both), they decide to change their usernames.

People select usernames that contain sensitive information, such as portions of email addresses or other identifying information.

Beat me to it. :goodpost:

Fishy:

Valid:

Agree here

BaBy_SuGaR_CaNdY_FaIrY_PrInCeSs

Hey, ChristinaDanise - that's MY username!! :roflmfao:
Okay, just kidding.... and I agree that was probably a PITA to type - it's certainly a PITA to read.

On a side note, I recently changed my user ID just because I got tired of how the old one looked... sometimes people change it "just because."

The "fishy" changes I've seen are like what others have mentioned - because they're trying to hide negative experiences.... sometimes they're changing IDs multiple times in a short period of time... However, they can't really hide - you can view members' previous IDs via their feedback page, and any feedback they've received under an old ID stays linked with the revised/new ID.

BaBy_SuGaR_CaNdY_FaIrY_PrInCeSs

Hey, ChristinaDanise - that's MY username!! :roflmfao:
Okay, just kidding.... and I agree that was probably a PITA to type - it's certainly a PITA to read.

omg. I felt like an @$$hole for a second because when I was writing it I was thinking PLEASE BE NO ONES USERNAME PLEASEBENOONESUSERNAME. lmao. Then I read the second part. Haha.

People change it because they changed what they are selling too. Maybe they used to sell handbags but are now selling car parts.. So they change their name from HandbagSeller to CarPartsLTD... (not for real - just an example).

I wish I could change mine to sound more like a fashionable catchy name related to what I sell. When I signed up, Ebay just picked it for me and since I was no planning to build the business that I have now, I was OK with it. Now, although I would like to change it, it would not be in my best interest, since my user name is recognizable now.

When I first signed up, I picked a name that I was using somewhere else ... and I didn't even like it, but I didn't think I'd be selling anything, or even buying much.

After a while, when I realized I would be staying and selling, I changed my name to something I liked and that wasn't used on any other site.