eBay SNAD or am I being too picky?

Kidclarke

Aug 31, 2014
I recently bought a well loved Speedy 30. The outside is nice, except for the piping as described by the seller. However the seller said "Inside is nice and clean no pen or makeup stains or marks." Inside the bag there is a stain on the top left:
Stain.JPG
Personally, this is something I would have mentioned as a seller. There were no pictures of the inside of the bag when listed and yes I should have asked. However "no pen or makeup stains or marks" to me means none. I know it's a small stain but I still feel a bit deceived. Am I being too picky and should I let this go? I am not quite sure what to do. Even if I bring it up, what's there to do?

If something is described as 'well loved' I take that as a euphemism for BTS
Yes there should have been at least one photo of the inside.
Yes it should have been mentioned
Would it bother me? Probably not as I would use a base shaper or a purse kit. That is of course assuming the price you paid was in line with a "well loved" bag.
What would make you feel less deceived? A partial isn't going to make the stain go away. If you can't live with it return it. "Well loved" Speedy's are a dime a dozen on Ebay

If something is described as 'well loved' I take that as a euphemism for BTS
Yes there should have been at least one photo of the inside.
Yes it should have been mentioned
Would it bother me? Probably not as I would use a base shaper or a purse kit. That is of course assuming the price you paid was in line with a "well loved" bag.
What would make you feel less deceived? A partial isn't going to make the stain go away. If you can't live with it return it. "Well loved" Speedy's are a dime a dozen on Ebay
I did not even think about the base shaper. The price was fair to the well loved part. Everything else is described so there is no reason I should nit pick over something small that will be covered. Thank you for being the voice of reason.:smile:

I did not even think about the base shaper. The price was fair to the well loved part. Everything else is described so there is no reason I should nit pick over something small that will be covered. Thank you for being the voice of reason.:smile:

LOL

Just hundreds of Ebay purchases. Some great some not so great. You kind of learn to pick your battles iykwim. ;)

Now go enjoy your bag! :drinks:

And thank YOU for being a reasonable buyer. There are hundreds of posts here from people who expect every scratch, scuff, mark, piece of lint, etc. to be described. As @poopsie said, it definitely should have been mentioned and a picture of the interior should have been shown, but sometimes it's next to impossible to notice and think of every little detail that needs to be pointed out.

I recently bought a well loved Speedy 30. The outside is nice, except for the piping as described by the seller. However the seller said "Inside is nice and clean no pen or makeup stains or marks." Inside the bag there is a stain on the top left: Personally, this is something I would have mentioned as a seller. There were no pictures of the inside of the bag when listed and yes I should have asked. However "no pen or makeup stains or marks" to me means none. I know it's a small stain but I still feel a bit deceived. Am I being too picky and should I let this go? I am not quite sure what to do. Even if I bring it up, what's there to do?

It is odd that the seller would have specifically said no stains inside when there was one. My rule of thumb on these "omissions" is that if I would have bought the bag anyway at that price with that undisclosed flaw, I let it go.

At least it was described as "Well Loved". As a Seller, sometimes it's really hard to disclose every single blemish on a Well Loved handbag. Since you'll be covering up the small stain I definitely would let this one go since you got a fair price. Hope you enjoy it! :speedy:

Reactions: Kidclarke
It is odd that the seller would have specifically said no stains inside when there was one. My rule of thumb on these "omissions" is that if I would have bought the bag anyway at that price with that undisclosed flaw, I let it go.

Please don't be offended but...You misquoted the OP and in my opinion you read the description in the way the seller intended.
OP quoted the seller as describing "Inside is nice and clean no pen or makeup stains or marks."
Notice that the nouns 'stains and marks' are qualified by the adjectives 'makeup' and 'pen'.
So this excluded stains and marks caused by anything else. Clever?

This is why we have to look very carefully at pictures and read the descriptions to make sure that we are not mislead.
Reputable sellers will not mind being asked for clarification because they know that there are a few less reputable sellers who give can sellers in general a bad name.

OP quoted the seller as describing "Inside is nice and clean no pen or makeup stains or marks."
Notice that the nouns 'stains and marks' are qualified by the adjectives 'makeup' and 'pen'.
I think you're reading way more into the intent of the seller than is necessary. I don't believe the seller intentionally "lied by omission" but rather, was instead just careless and negligent.

Terms like well loved, gently used, EUC, lightly scuffed, etc. are so subjective and open to interpretation that it's important for sellers to SHOW with pictures exactly what a buyer should expect.

Reactions: northerndancer

She also said nice and clean which would ***** any loophole she might have been trying to create by qualifying the type of stains. I really don't think there was any intent at cleverness. I think it was just an omission albeit an odd one but not an attempt to pull a fast one.

The seller said 'no…stains' and there is a stain - that is a contradiction.
It is a specific statement, not a general comment on the condition.
I admit I might be being cynical and you might be being generous.
The lesson is still 'caveat emptor'.

Reactions: Kidclarke
I will definitely ask for pictures next time, I have bought quite a few things on ebay and it was dumb on my part not to simply ask.
I don't think the seller had any intention of tricking anyone, the price was fair. I sell a few things occasionally so my listings tend to list every single detail, but if I was making hundreds of listings, I might miss a thing here or there or even use an old description. Either way, the bag is cute and if I have any second thoughts I can just list it myself and cut my losses. It wasn't a super expensive lesson or anything I can't cover up with a shaper/kit.

:smile: Thank you for all the replies/feedback.