eBay sellers who increase their BIN prices

I don't think it is unethical to raise prices if no sale has occurred.
It would be unethical to do it after a sale has been made
but before then the item belongs to the seller to do as they choose.
It may not be a great selling strategy, but I don't see what's unethical
about it, especially in a free market society

I guess it could be viewed as time-wasting, though?

For example, if a buyer is only interested in the item, because it is priced at a low level and then, as soon as you hear from them, you up the price (especially if you up the price to above that of your competitors); you've, essentially, wasted the time they took to look at the listing (possibly) and ask a question (definitely), haven't you?

Sellers can change their auctions and revise them at any time before bids or offers, it's within their rights, unfortunately. She probably got a lot of questions and realized she could get more. Who can blame her. Doesn't hurt to ask though. I've had the opposite problem!! Watching an item and thinking about it, then a seller turns around and LOWERS the BIN to accommodate some other person who wrote to her to ask if she'd take such and such amount and before I notice, poof it's gone! Ugh! It would be nice if there were no revisions possible, on some items! haha. Live and learn.

I guess it could be viewed as time-wasting, though?

For example, if a buyer is only interested in the item, because it is priced at a low level and then, as soon as you hear from them, you up the price (especially if you up the price to above that of your competitors); you've, essentially, wasted the time they took to look at the listing (possibly) and ask a question (definitely), haven't you?

I don't think it is a great strategy, and it can tick off the buyer. As far as wasting time, isn't 90% of the internet a waste of time anyway? LOL :biggrin:

Sellers can change their auctions and revise them at any time before bids or offers, it's within their rights, unfortunately. She probably got a lot of questions and realized she could get more. Who can blame her. Doesn't hurt to ask though. I've had the opposite problem!! Watching an item and thinking about it, then a seller turns around and LOWERS the BIN to accommodate some other person who wrote to her to ask if she'd take such and such amount and before I notice, poof it's gone! Ugh! It would be nice if there were no revisions possible, on some items! haha. Live and learn.

Asking sellers to lower prices seems to be a good strategy on ebay these days. If it's an auction and there's no bids, I usually ask to buy it off the bat. Works about 75% of the time. Or if it's an expensive item, I make them an offer. It's against rules, I think. But 50% of the time they lower the price. I guess you gotta be aggressive :/

I remember asking a seller about a bag he was selling and when I went back shortly thereafter he raised his BIN by $200! He probably got lots of emails and thought his price was too low. Needless to say that bag sat there for a very long time.

I thought that was pretty sneaky.

I'll tell you what happened to me many years ago on eBay. It has nothing to do with purses so I hope it's okay to post.

I listed an antique perfume bottle for sale at a reasonable starting bid and my reserve was in the mid hundreds. Although there were no bids on it, the overwhelming number of inquiries I received led me to believe it should have been valued higher. So I stopped the auction (no bids).

An appraisal revealed the price should have been well over a thousand dollars. So I re-listed it a couple of months later (it took a while to find a qualified appraiser and get the appraisal) for the appraisal price and still sold in within hours! The buyer was thrilled to get it at what she felt was a very good price (she told me) and I felt I got a fairer price for it while still giving a collector a bargain. We were both happy!

^no, me either. Your first auction may have ended the same way though, as collectors tend to bid these things up to DMV anyway on a coveted item.

A BIN too low tho and you don't have that chance! I have ^no problem with the BIN being raised. I get lots of questions, I am happy bc I know it will sell, period. I usually ignore the queries for the first 24 hours bc it sells on BIN and I would have wasted hours answering questions from lookey-loo's. Why bother answering questions already answered i the listing, or entertain all the shipping quotes, if a serious buyer snaps it up within hours anyway?