eBay Sellers & Buyers - please READ THIS

Pick one. What is the best method to convince you a bag on eBay is authentic.

• A picture of the receipt from a reputable business

• Pictures of the interior of the bag (showing serial # and label)

• A money back guarantee policy

• Positive feedbacks from other buyers

Results are only viewable after voting.
supersaucy said:
Don't forget to earmark your pictures with your seller name; that implicitly communicates to buyers that your pictures are authentic and you don't want someone else stealing them.

This is very important if you are going to sell designer items on eBay, because it helps prevent fraud. I watch eBay auctions A LOT - and I can actually tell when a picture has been "borrowed" from another listing. But for someone who just pops in to find a great bag, they can be easily fooled.

Don't be lazy with your pictures - take plenty and don't steal the pics. Also, don't use a print ad picture to sell your item - it implies that you have something to hide.

Always accept Paypal. Before you start selling, I highly recommend having over 50 total feedback that is more than 98% positive. This makes all your listings protected by Paypal - and I only bid on those!

Include many details.
My biggest pet peeve is a seller who just posts a picture of the bag and expects that to sell it. What are the dimensions of the bag, what season is it from, does it have any special features that make it more desirable? This always results in people asking questions, and it just adds to your effort. By the time you respond to those questions with what you should have included in your listing, they might have moved on to another bag!

Be honest. Does it have a small scratch on the bottom? A small X on the inside pocket to prevent returns? Disclosing all this information protects you from someone who has buyer's remorse and will use any excuse to return an item. Small defects like this affect the value of the bag and if you don't disclose them, you are subject to Paypal Chargeback.

Return Policy? That is up to you. I have sold on eBay so I know selling costs money. eBay and Paypal both hit you up for a percentage, so when someone returns an item, you lose money. Don't charge a "restocking fee", most smart shoppers have a serious problem with that. But I have no problem with a seller who deducts their listing fees from my return.

Don't overcharge for shipping. Buyers are not stupid. We know it doesn't cost more than $10-15 to ship a bag via USPS Priority or Parcel Post. So why do some sellers charge $20 or more? The answer is because they like to collect a couple extra bucks without paying eBay fees on it. And guess what, that is Fee Circumvention and it is against the rules.

I've bot and sold some authentic items on Ebay -Of course photos are essential and good ones at that - One thing I must add is if you are selling an authentic bag in good condition, always describe it exactly as it is and offer a money back guarantee with no questions asked - that always impresses me.

supersaucy said:
Another thing that you might want to consider is that although you know that your bags are authentic because you purchased them, your buyers are probably going to be pretty relatively paranoid. Because they are used, although you still have the receipt, because receipts have been/can be easily faked, I would recommend taking in the two bags to be verified authentic, and stating exactly where you took it (i.e. by the Fendi manager at South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa, CA).

I happen to know that L/V will not "authenticate" items anymore (this was told to me by the L/V Manager in Boston, as well as an individual who worked in P/R for L/V for over 15 years).

After getting inundated by various individuals who purchased 'fakes' (on eBay or other sites), L/V got tired of people coming in and finding out that their "deal" was in fact a piece of crap! The L/V Manager (who happens to be a personal friend) told me that it was a horrible scene; people crying and screaming, etc.! I believe Hermes is also doing the same; not providing any "written" documentation along the lines of authentication.

That being said ... one of the things that I look for VERY carefully in the auction text, is when the seller says something along the lines of "in order to prove that this is not authentic, you must provide a written document on their letterhead ... BLA BLA BAL". They are doing this ON PURPOSE, because they know that L/V and Hermes, etc. WILL NOT DO THIS!!! So, buyer beware ... it's a scam that the fakers use to make it look like their stuff is authentic, but then know darn well that the individual won't be able to return it because they will never be able to get the "proof" to do so!!

CeeJay said:
I happen to know that L/V will not "authenticate" items anymore (this was told to me by the L/V Manager in Boston, as well as an individual who worked in P/R for L/V for over 15 years).

After getting inundated by various individuals who purchased 'fakes' (on eBay or other sites), L/V got tired of people coming in and finding out that their "deal" was in fact a piece of crap! The L/V Manager (who happens to be a personal friend) told me that it was a horrible scene; people crying and screaming, etc.! I believe Hermes is also doing the same; not providing any "written" documentation along the lines of authentication.

That being said ... one of the things that I look for VERY carefully in the auction text, is when the seller says something along the lines of "in order to prove that this is not authentic, you must provide a written document on their letterhead ... BLA BLA BAL". They are doing this ON PURPOSE, because they know that L/V and Hermes, etc. WILL NOT DO THIS!!! So, buyer beware ... it's a scam that the fakers use to make it look like their stuff is authentic, but then know darn well that the individual won't be able to return it because they will never be able to get the "proof" to do so!!

I can understand LV not wanting to use up their employees time looking at fake bags. If you have to take it in to LV to authenticate it, chances are - it's fake.

Most people can look at a bag and determine that it's fake and don't need to the letterhead to prove it. Beware of seller's who require this, and also beware of "restocking fees."

chemlex said:
I can understand LV not wanting to use up their employees time looking at fake bags. If you have to take it in to LV to authenticate it, chances are - it's fake.

Most people can look at a bag and determine that it's fake and don't need to the letterhead to prove it. Beware of seller's who require this, and also beware of "restocking fees."

i second this, LV employees are not there to deal with fakes. they've got a business to run and i'm sure crazy people go in there all the time and make a scene over fakes.

For people who buy items outside of authorized vendors, there should be some LV-approved service to get items authenticated. A storefront might not be an appropriate place to do this, but if LV personally authenticated items it might help identify more knockoffs and cut back on counterfeiting.

Of course, for all the *****ing and moaning that LV and other high-end companies do about counterfeit items - I really don't see them doing anything about it. I think they don't it care as much because it gives them an excuse to really up the prices on their goods. The incredible hike in prices over the past 10 years is mostly attributed to the "loss" that knockoffs create for these companies. But if they did an actual study on this, I think that would be proven false. A person who buys a $100 knockoff bag probably wouldn't buy the real thing for $1200.

Does anyone know which companies do not mind if you take an item to a store or offer some other authenticating service? If you could share a personal experience that would help.

If the bag is in a used condition, I usually want to see photos of any flaws such as a stain or any markings. This makes me feel that the seller is a honest person. I also want to know the reason why they are selling the bag so if you provide a reason that would be great.

First and foremost, I want to thank each of you for taking time to read and respond to my post.

I am amazed at the diversed comments and suggestions posted thus far. Yes, it is my intention to use some of the suggestions mentioned on this post. Right now, I am still researching (I am trying to get familiar with eBay's policies & procedures and then I am going to see how comparable Burberry and Fendi bags are selling on the site.) I'll keep you posted of any significant progress.

Vlad, thank you for giving this post a "sticky." I think many members will benefit from it and may use it as a point of reference the next time they are selling or buying designer bags on eBay (or anywhere for that matter). :idea:

Thanks again, everyone!

CeeJay said:

And often there is a time frame for the letter of proof...usually 24 hours. Like that's possible.

chemlex said:
For people who buy items outside of authorized vendors, there should be some LV-approved service to get items authenticated. A storefront might not be an appropriate place to do this, but if LV personally authenticated items it might help identify more knockoffs and cut back on counterfeiting.

Of course, for all the *****ing and moaning that LV and other high-end companies do about counterfeit items - I really don't see them doing anything about it. I think they don't it care as much because it gives them an excuse to really up the prices on their goods. The incredible hike in prices over the past 10 years is mostly attributed to the "loss" that knockoffs create for these companies. But if they did an actual study on this, I think that would be proven false. A person who buys a $100 knockoff bag probably wouldn't buy the real thing for $1200.

Does anyone know which companies do not mind if you take an item to a store or offer some other authenticating service? If you could share a personal experience that would help.

That's a great idea...back in the heyday of beanie babies, there was two authenticators that you could send them to for proof. Often times, you could have the seller of the auction send them to the authenticator before they ship it to you.

Bjara said:
That's a great idea...back in the heyday of beanie babies, there was two authenticators that you could send them to for proof. Often times, you could have the seller of the auction send them to the authenticator before they ship it to you.

And now - Beanie Babies aren't worth anything. My mom really mourns that. She has boxes and boxes of them! Hopefully they will bounce back in ten years.

chemlex said:
And now - Beanie Babies aren't worth anything. My mom really mourns that. She has boxes and boxes of them! Hopefully they will bounce back in ten years.

Awww. :sad:

I have a confession to make....

I started collecting them about 10 years ago during their hey day. I stopped at the end of 1999 when they claimed they were going to stop the line and had already purchased about 98% of the styles....but then they brought it back again. Big marketing ploy and I was ticked. I boycotted for, oh, about 3 months, and then I saw the Ariel bear, which benefitted the AIDS project. I had to get it....so now I only collect the bears...but NOT for their value...but because I love them. :shame: I have two floor to ceiling size oak and glass curios that are filled to the brim with just the bears....over 200. The rest of the animals are packed away for a rainy day...whatever/whenever that may be. I may donate them to the fire fighters/ police for kids that they help during emergencies...

Did your Mom get into the "Peace" style of bears? Don't even get me started on that...LOL.

Hi, everyone!

Here is a pic of the two bags that inspired this thread. Sorry, the pic is not the greatest (especially with the yellow hue---the Burberry is not yellow as shown but a light beige color). Well, I just wanted to post it in case you are curious.

The bag on the left is a leather Burberry satchel I purchased at Saks in summer 2005 and to the right is a Fendi Zucchino Pattina Pochette purchased at eLuxury in 2003.

Attachments

• bags.jpg
    bags.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 34
Hello Baglady!

Is it against protocol or forum rules to ask what seller name it will be under at Ebay? :wondering
I know that 95% of Burberry of Ebay is awful fakes....so sad...

I am new on this forum but have reading and learning and getting to know you all....:biggrin:

I don't have any high end purses YET.....my first will be a LV Popincourt Haut....Did I spell that right?
I am going to go through Eluxury for my first baby...:love:

BUT, I am always looking for good used bags on Ebay. Just so tough to rule out the fakes..

Thanks much!!!!

puddinhd58 said:
Hello Baglady!

Is it against protocol or forum rules to ask what seller name it will be under at Ebay? :wondering

You can Private Message her for the information. We just don't want public buying or selling on the forum. :idea: