Ebay sellers based in Japan. Do I need to pay for customs if I order a bag from Japan?

hirohirobb

Dec 3, 2018
Ebay sellers based in Japan. Do I need to pay for customs if I order a bag from Japan?
I'm trying to buy a vintage chanel from Japan, but I'm not sure if i need to pay for customs.
Bag's price is $1500. Please help me out! Thanks.

HELP! I'm trying to buy a vintage chanel bag from Japanese seller on ebay.
Bag's price is $1500, should I pay for customs? My friend said Japan and USA doesn't have custom fees,
but I'm still worried. Anyone knows about custom rates if there is any?
Thank you!

I'm trying to buy a vintage chanel from Japan, but I'm not sure if i need to pay for customs.
Bag's price is $1500. Please help me out! Thanks.

If you live in the States I would check with the US Post Office. If not, check with your local postal service. Used, new, antique may all have different taxes.

I buy items from Japanese sellers on eBay frequently. I'm in the US, and I have never owed customs on items shipped EMS, delivered through the US Postal service. I did buy a watch, though, from eLady that was shipped by FedEx and I owed $125 in customs on it. It depends on the shipping service.

I’m in the UK and my hubby bought a watch from Japan - elady I think we ended up paying £500 in customs charges so I would personally expect to pay.

Crikey! I thought I was hard done by being stung for almost £50 in custom charges when I bought a preloved Hermes scarf from eLady just recently. Looks like I got away lightly! I'm also in the UK, btw.

It’s just dependent on the mood of the inspecting customs official (not Japanese customs, customs of your country), I suspect.
Because yes, you are ‘supposed’ to pay a customs fee, but I have never had to yet, and I’ve ordered many Japanese bags. (And the Japanese sellers have always been proper and notated the actual value, didn’t mark it as a ‘gift’, etc.
So I would PLAN for it, budgetwise, and my expectation is always to pay, but it happens that I haven’t had to yet.

Reactions: ccbaggirl89
i have had to pay in the past for some (USPS) and others not. i think it depends on the inspector. they were all used bags and marked as such, but i still had to pay for a few.

The threshold is much lower in Canada than in the US but the same "hit and miss" happens here too. Items are required to go through customs before they are handed off to Canadapost for delivery. Some items get stopped and charged. Some don't. From my experience, the greater the value exceeding the threshold for customs, the more likely is to be charged. Here it doesn't make any difference if it is new or used.

Also, from my experience, any item that is delivered by a courier will be charged plus a significant brokerage fee to compensate the courier for collecting the taxes.

Reactions: Dooneysta