Ebay seller sent bag with Bounce dryer sheet.....

purses and gold

Purse Lover
Jun 24, 2008
I just got my Coach signature tote today. I purchased it from Ebay.The tote is nice, but it was wrapped in a plastic bag with a Bounce dryer sheet. Needless to say, the purse has a strong perfume scent to it now. Why would anybody do that?! Any suggestions as to how to get rid of the odor??? The seller had good feedback, good communication and was very polite so I didn't complain, but I am very upset . Has this happened to anybody else?

I would just put it next to an open window for a while... wonder if they were trying to cover up another smell? I've heard of LV tPFers with bags from Hong Kong that smelled strongly of mothballs..

Balled up newspaper to absorb the smell also seemed to work, but be careful of smudgy ink.

Hope that helps!

I bought a new LV and the seller sent it with a dryer sheet as well. It was older but never used. I guess the seller wanted to use the dryer sheet's scent to cover the "storage" smell. The dryer sheet smell will eventually fade away though. Good luck!

LOL that's too funny, and annoying. I would email the seller and tell her that you are upset over the dryer sheet, not looking for a refund or anything just that it smells like perfume now. Maybe in the future she'll think twice before throwing one in. I assume most do it to cover up the smell of smoke/pets/etc..

Someone correct me if I'm wrong....but don't people sometimes stuff their bags with a couple dryer sheets to help remove odors? Perhaps she knew ahead of time that it smelled like perfume and that's why she did that, especially sealed up in a bag.

Yeah maybe it was to cover up a mothball, smoke, or perfume smell.

If you let it air out it will fade. I have a very sensitive nose so it would piss me off as well. I use Snuggle peach blossom sheets that smell great, but one for a tote would make the scent so strong it would be awful.

Thats what I'm thinking too.It may have had a smell.Also some people stuff all smells a certain way and it may be unpleasant to the new owner so may they were just trying to avoid things just in case that may have occurred by dropping one in.I just bought and sold a Fendi bag that reeked of perfume but it didn't bother me cause it wasn't a strong stinky one.Just air it out like the others said and you should be good to go.

I have bought new clothes that have dryer sheets in them. Maybe people just want the item to smell nice but have not figured out that it is a very strong smell when it is put inside a package.

I have bought new clothes that have dryer sheets in them. Maybe people just want the item to smell nice but have not figured out that it is a very strong smell when it is put inside a package.

Yeah, I agree. I'm sure the seller just thought she was doing something nice, by adding a dryer sheet to give the bag a clean smell or something...Maybe she enjoys the scent and figures others would appreciate it as well. :shrugs: I wouldn't be too angry with the seller, a dryer sheet smell fades anyway.

I agree -- it's not necessarily a sign the seller is trying to "cover up" something. Maybe she just wanted it to be fresh when it got to you. The smell will go away very shortly if you air it out.