Ebay Seller: Reference-Shop

I'm not sure if they do either. The other thread would not let me add a comment as it is over 120? 150? days old. I would rather have posted onto that.
You could have bumped the old thread. The popup is just to let you know that it is an old thread and to double check that you really want to bump it.

You could have bumped the old thread. The popup is just to let you know that it is an old thread and to double check that you really want to bump it.

It actually said it was not allowed. Weird, yes? I usually get the option of bumping it. I will try again from this computer and see what happens. ;)

ETA When I pressed post this is what popped up: https://www.flickr.com/photos/93204649@N08/14048669436/

This time I noticed there is a box to check before you press post. I will try that. Mods, feel free to remove this thread :smile:

Well, I have a genuine reason for bumping my own thread. I purchased a bag from this seller, here is the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261444359036?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Now, they have listed the same pictures again: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=231219711311&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en although this time they included a picture of the tag, it does not have the same #s as the tag in the pictures that they sent to me: https://www.flickr.com/photos/93204649@N08/14065226621/ There are more pictures of details on my Flickr.

My question is, is this legal on Ebay? Can they show the same pictures twice saying that this is the item you will be receiving? They are not stock pictures from Balenciaga or anything like that. I will be a bit shocked if this is ok, how would one ever know if this is the item they will receive? They could have used those first pics many times before. I'm disappointed that this seller did this and holding my breath hoping that I will get an item that is as shown.

TIA for any light that can be shed on this.

ETA Hmmm, I wrote to them to ask if the bag in the first 3 frames is the bag that I purchased. They responded that they had two identical bags and that the bag I purchased was "the same" as in the first three frames of photos. I asked them again to be clear, that I will be receiving the bag shown in the photos. Will check for a response in the morning.

It's not quite fair to the next buyer, is it?

Last edited:
I replied to you in Authenticate Thread but I will say again: Try not to worry ( I know it's easy to say ) but I believe you received pictures of the actual bag, not sure about listing pictures. Maybe that's why colour looks so different??? As the bag was posted already you have to wait and repost all the pictures to confirm authenticity. But I wouldn't worry about this, more worrying can be condition of the bag ( if the pictures from the listing are of different one ) But again not much can be done now so please try to relax and wait for the bag to arrive :hugs:

I replied to you in Authenticate Thread but I will say again: Try not to worry ( I know it's easy to say ) but I believe you received pictures of the actual bag, not sure about listing pictures. Maybe that's why colour looks so different??? As the bag was posted already you have to wait and repost all the pictures to confirm authenticity. But I wouldn't worry about this, more worrying can be condition of the bag ( if the pictures from the listing are of different one ) But again not much can be done now so please try to relax and wait for the bag to arrive :hugs:

Thank, Sssy :smile:
I just don't even think it is legal to do this on Ebay. They could have used those same pictures for other auctions too & the only pictures I received of the actual bag are the small ones that they sent to me.
They never responded to my last email. I feel like I didn't even get to see what I purchased...

It's not ethical for sure. It's like buying from a seller who uses stock photos. I really hope that everything will be ok. Condition is stated as excellent in the listing of both bags so it should be just fine. I hope soon we will hear some good news.

It's not ethical for sure. It's like buying from a seller who uses stock photos. I really hope that everything will be ok. Condition is stated as excellent in the listing of both bags so it should be just fine. I hope soon we will hear some good news.

Thank you so much for your support. Yes, exactly! But if I thought they were stock photos I would have asked to see photos of the actual item being sold, yk? Shady...
Ah well, all I can do now is wait.

"Illegal" to recycle pictures? No.

Foolish to recycle pictures when selling a pre-owned bag? Absolutely!

Many sellers of NWT items buy multiples and use the same pictures to sell more than one of the same it. There's nothing wrong with that and ebay doesn't disallow it.

Ebay also doesn't disallow sellers from reusing pictures if they happen to have more than one of the same preowned/used item although for a seller to do that, they are risking a SNAD dispute.

As we see so frequently, especially on the ebay forum, buyers don't read descriptions or if they do read them, they skim then and don't actually take note of all the "condition" text.

Although all the pictures and both bags may belong to the same seller, if the bag pictured is less worn than the actual item that the buyer will receive, the buyer isn't going to be happy and will open a dispute, ding the seller's feedback and consequently, ebay will put a "defect" on the seller's account.

IMO, it's a good idea to photograph ALL used items individually and to show pictures of the actual item in the listings.

"Illegal" to recycle pictures? No.

Foolish to recycle pictures when selling a pre-owned bag? Absolutely!

Many sellers of NWT items buy multiples and use the same pictures to sell more than one of the same it. There's nothing wrong with that and ebay doesn't disallow it.

Ebay also doesn't disallow sellers from reusing pictures if they happen to have more than one of the same preowned/used item although for a seller to do that, they are risking a SNAD dispute.

As we see so frequently, especially on the ebay forum, buyers don't read descriptions or if they do read them, they skim then and don't actually take note of all the "condition" text.

Although all the pictures and both bags may belong to the same seller, if the bag pictured is less worn than the actual item that the buyer will receive, the buyer isn't going to be happy and will open a dispute, ding the seller's feedback and consequently, ebay will put a "defect" on the seller's account.

IMO, it's a good idea to photograph ALL used items individually and to show pictures of the actual item in the listings.

Thank you for your response. This is what I am wondering ^ about the SNAD. If this bag is not the same as pictured they are really opening themselves up for that to happen. They responded, I posted it above. So, now, even though I asked them for detailed pics, the detailed pics were not of the item shown in the listing. I am essentially getting a bag sight unseen.

ETA, as far as the listing details, everything seemed to match up. The condition of the bag I purchased and the pics shown. From now on I will ask for brand new pics of the whole item to be messaged to me before I purchase anything! Wow.

Last edited:
New email from seller:
The pictures are of the actual items purchased. However, as the two bags were very similar, pictures taken of one of the bags were also used for the other.

As we inspect the bag before shipping to insure that the bag is according to the pictures and descriptions we have provided, we can assure you that the bag is as scripted and depicted as in the listing provided for the bag purchased.

Sincerely,

- reference-shop

This seller seems confused and is confusing me. Is it similar or is it the exact bag? I guess I will find out next week. Thanks again for chiming in, I did learn something.

ETA:
Sent Date: May-01-14 20:30:19 PDT

Dear reference-shop,

Hi,

Ok, this is very confusing. So the bag that I purchased was the exact bag shown in the pictures? Not just a similar bag?

Their response:

The bag you have purchased is the exact bag shown in the pictures.

The bag listed now after inspection is an exact identical twin to the bag you have purchased which is why it is being used for the second listing with additional pictures also listed of the minor defects of the listed bag.

Sincerely,

- reference-shop

Maybe they are just blowing smoke up my $!!, well, live & learn. This kind of sucks. I hope I at least get something resembling what I thought I was buying.

Last edited:
Why not just wait until you receive the bag you purchased? You may be very satisfied and it may be the one shown in the pictures or it may even be better than that shown in the pictures.

Without having received the bag, it's silly to stress about it at this point, IMO.