Ebay Seller: Reference-Shop

I agree with BeenBurned - seems like you have been almost looking for a problem. Wait until you get the bag - if there is an issue, then deal with it. Logically, it would seem that the first bag sold (to you) is the one bag used for the photos. Some of the confusion can also be related to language issues. But until you have the bag, you don't even know if there is a problem

Why not just wait until you receive the bag you purchased? You may be very satisfied and it may be the one shown in the pictures or it may even be better than that shown in the pictures.

Without having received the bag, it's silly to stress about it at this point, IMO.

I am waiting :smile: not much else I can do now :yes: (hindsight, yk?)! It bothers me that they did this though, and will cause me to likely not buy from them again as I do judge my sellers by what I think is ethical. I do think that they should note that the item shown may not be the item you are bidding on and give buyers a chance to ask for additional pics. The additional pics I did ask for were of details I needed to authenticate the bag, but did not show condition.
But as I said, from now on I will ask for specific full item pics of anything that I buy from Ebay and assume that the pics shown in the listing are not of what I will receive.

Last edited:
I agree with BeenBurned - seems like you have been almost looking for a problem. Wait until you get the bag - if there is an issue, then deal with it. Logically, it would seem that the first bag sold (to you) is the one bag used for the photos. Some of the confusion can also be related to language issues. But until you have the bag, you don't even know if there is a problem

Well, here you are incorrect. I expected no problems as this seller had (mostly) good reviews. Originally I had intended to post my experience with them (be it good or bad) to help other TPF members out. I didn't expect to be back here posting before I had received the bag.
I check the Ebay listings for this particular bag daily and saw that the same pics popped up. It very well could be that I receive the bag shown, or I could be the 5th person who bought based upon those pictures.
I have bought pre-loved from Ebay many times and always been shown the exact item I was purchasing. As I said above, now I know to ask for additional pictures of the entire item listed and to not assume that what is shown in the advert (even if it is presented as so) is what I am buying.

Last edited:
In Summary ;) :

This was my question:

My question is, is this legal on Ebay? Can they show the same pictures twice saying that this is the item you will be receiving? They are not stock pictures from Balenciaga or anything like that. I will be a bit shocked if this is ok, how would one ever know if this is the item they will receive? They could have used those first pics many times before.

It's not quite fair to the next buyer, is it?

I feel like I didn't even get to see what I purchased...

It's not ethical for sure. It's like buying from a seller who uses stock photos.

I felt similarly to Sssy. These photos were not presented as stock photos, there was no disclaimer saying that what you will receive is "similar" to what is shown, this is where my first question applies.

Ah well, all I can do now is wait.
And, this is all I can do, as I cannot now ask for pictures of the actual bag since they put the new listing up after my bag was sold and shipped. I am not too worried as the bag is covered by Ebay buyer's protection, my irk was with the fact that this is apparently ok to list with the same (seller taken) photos over and over. Now that I know it is ok with Ebay to do this i will take precautions, see last post.

And I got my answer:

"Illegal" to recycle pictures? No.

Foolish to recycle pictures when selling a pre-owned bag? Absolutely!

Many sellers of NWT items buy multiples and use the same pictures to sell more than one of the same it. There's nothing wrong with that and ebay doesn't disallow it.

Ebay also doesn't disallow sellers from reusing pictures if they happen to have more than one of the same preowned/used item although for a seller to do that, they are risking a SNAD dispute.

As we see so frequently, especially on the ebay forum, buyers don't read descriptions or if they do read them, they skim then and don't actually take note of all the "condition" text.

Although all the pictures and both bags may belong to the same seller, if the bag pictured is less worn than the actual item that the buyer will receive, the buyer isn't going to be happy and will open a dispute, ding the seller's feedback and consequently, ebay will put a "defect" on the seller's account.

IMO, it's a good idea to photograph ALL used items individually and to show pictures of the actual item in the listings.

From now on I will ask for brand new pics of the whole item to be messaged to me before I purchase anything!

What I will do from now on ^^ :smile: Thanks for the information! Even though I have never dealt with this situation before I am sure it will save me some trouble in the future.

Last edited:
I am happy to report that A4U has authenticated the bag mentioned above.

I am not sure if it was the same bag as shown in the listing, but it is close enough and in "as described" condition.

I hope that the person who buys the bag from the current listing, which is also using the photos that were shown for my bag, knows to ask for detailed pics to be sent to them.

I don't think that this seller lists in this manner to deceive the customer, I think they probably do it for convenience. They were willing to communicate with me when I did contact them about this issue, even if it was a bit confusing for both parties.

I would recommend this seller with the notation that the buyer should ask for additional pictures of the item that they are interested in, just to be sure that they are getting the exact item that is pictured. If you are comfortable with this, I think you will have a pleasant transaction.

I hope this helps someone who has been interested in purchasing from this seller.