Ebay seller fees on March 30th.

Conni618

Authenticator
O.G.
Mar 27, 2007
As someone who collect bags, by buying and selling as I go, I've been super frustrated by the high final value fees on ebay.

The new structure for selling higher priced handbags is going to be good for those of us who've been driven away. It may even give Bonanzle a new run for the money.

The new structure will be no help for straight Fixed value listings, (simple BIN only listings) but is much better for auctions and combined auction with a BIN.

For any auction type listing, the ending fees will be 9%. Sounds like no great shakes, but the good part is that, except for straight BIN listings, all other final value fees will be capped at $50. :smile:

Unfortunately, there's a huge "donut hole" where the new fees are going to make the prices higher. I generally don't have FVFs greater than $50, so it's all a fee raise to me. :sad:

I think they experimented with the 5 free auction style listings you get each month which have a FVF of 8.75% or $20 (cap) which ever is lower. (Personally I think the 5 free listing thing was worthless for those of us that only sell off a hand bag or two from time to time. I would rather pay the insertion fee than the higher FVF). That being said.....so after they experimented, I think the $20 cap was not enough for e-Bay so they are raising it to $50 cap along with the flat % rate (from 8.75 to 9%).

If you do the math, bags that sell for $550 and less, the new 9% or $50 cap is going to be a huge increase. Right now (after the 5 "free listings") FVF for auction style is 8.75% of the first $25 ($2.19) and 3.5% of the remaining up to $1000 (and only 1.5% of anything over $1000 e.g, $15 on another $1,000). So under the current (or soon to be old structure) the FVF for a bag selling for $500 is $18.82 and under the new structure it will be $45, which calculates to 139% Increase ...Quite a jump!

So if my math is correct, the $50 cap will only benefit items that sell auction style for $2,000 or more. For the rest, it is a significant increase.

Last edited:
As someone who collect bags, by buying and selling as I go, I've been super frustrated by the high final value fees on ebay.

The new structure for selling higher priced handbags is going to be good for those of us who've been driven away. It may even give Bonanzle a new run for the money.

The new structure will be no help for straight Fixed value listings, (simple BIN only listings) but is much better for auctions and combined auction with a BIN.

For any auction type listing, the ending fees will be 9%. Sounds like no great shakes, but the good part is that, except for straight BIN listings, all other final value fees will be capped at $50. :smile:

I believe this applies only if your auction starts under $1.00. There are lots of surprises on Ebay these days, mostly for sellers who list .99 auctions.

I think they experimented with the 5 free auction style listings you get each month which have a FVF of 8.75% or $20 (cap) which ever is lower. (Personally I think the 5 free listing thing was worthless for those of us that only sell off a hand bag or two from time to time. I would rather pay the insertion fee than the higher FVF). That being said.....so after they experimented, I think the $20 cap was not enough for e-Bay so they are raising it to $50 cap along with the flat % rate (from 8.75 to 9%).

If you do the math, bags that sell for $550 and less, the new 9% or $50 cap is going to be a huge increase. Right now (after the 5 "free listings") FVF for auction style is 8.75% of the first $25 ($2.19) and 3.5% of the remaining up to $1000 (and only 1.5% of anything over $1000 e.g, $15 on another $1,000). So under the current (or soon to be old structure) the FVF for a bag selling for $500 is $18.82 and under the new structure it will be $45, which calculates to 139% Increase ...Quite a jump!

So if my math is correct, the $50 cap will only benefit items that sell auction style for $2,000 or more. For the rest, it is a significant increase.

Wow, indeed 139% increase!
How can seller of name brand bags can survive this?

Ok girls - can you help me with these new fees.
I have a couple bags to list, they are expensive bags - so if I do a fixed auction at .50 to list - looking at this chart - I THINK it says if it sells for over $1000.01 the FVF is 2%???
Is this correct? TIA!

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/news/FeeUpdate2010.html

LOL, you know I've read and re-read this several times on several ocassions and still find it extremely confusing!

But i believe your analysis is accurate.

Personally, if I was expecting something to close >$1000, I would list as a BIN w B.O. IMO, auctions work best for the lower-valued items. Goodluck!

LOL, you know I've read and re-read this several times on several ocassions and still find it extremely confusing!

But i believe your analysis is accurate.

Personally, if I was expecting something to close >$1000, I would list as a BIN w B.O. IMO, auctions work best for the lower-valued items. Goodluck!

Thanks hposnm - I'll take the 2% closing!!

^^ I'm with you LR, I have only 2 items that fit the "high value Items" rate - I think my excitement for these 2 will be short lived as anything else I have to list is well under this amount.