eBay Safety Tips for Buying & Selling

Today I believe there are more safety measures for buyers as opposed to sellers than there were about 15 years ago. I say this because I was a victim of fraud and got scammed out of $941.00 from eBay from someone who gave me a second chance offer on something I was bidding on. At that time you were able to see bidders info. Today they block it out.
Well at the time I was new to eBay and excited about the offer; however, I didn't know that you don't send money through western union; which was required for this offer. After contacting the seller, to find out when I'd be expecting my package; who didn't know what I was talking about, I realized it was a hijaker who sent me the offer and a scam. I was devastated! But I lived. I reported it to the Inspector General of internet fraud to no satisfaction.
I believe that's why today you aren't able to see bidders info and they protect bidders more than sellers.

Last edited:
I'm interested in a Chanel mini flap bag on ebay. I have bought and sold many items without problems. My concern is that lately I was witness to scandalous practices on ebay where the sellers where opening multiple new sellers accounts with no feedback. This ring of thrives were selling ysl bags for 400-500 dollars and these where bags that sell all day long for $2,000. Also the photos were used over and over again. I'm nervous about purchasing again. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I would like to get some advice on this too. I have been a victim of buyers' remorse twice selling on eBay....
Me too. I was scammed out of $280 selling a Louis V pochette. In hindsight I would have handled things far differently with the buyer. It was after 60 days and she carried it for her wedding and it was trying to claim that it was not authentic because I didn't include the copy of the receipt as promised. She was obviously lying and eBay and PayPal both denied her claim Because I had photos of everything and it was after 60 days. She went to her credit card company and filed a fraudulent claim and was fully refunded, So I in turn owe pay pal over $360 in late fees and penalties when it was all said and done and it substantially cost me my credit score while we disputed it. Needless to say I no longer will ever use eBay but I should have just agreed to refund her the money in return for receiving my item And going forward if I ever sell again it will be with refunds allowed as long as the item has not been used, I will probably resort to using security tags. So not only was I out over $360 I never got my pochette back so it actually cost me over $700 in total loss. The credit card company told her to keep the item or destroy it because it was fake . Neither eBay nor pay pal did anything to help me After more than 11 years working with both companies and not a single negative feedback and proof of original purchase on this item, And the buyer had actually left to be positive feedback shortly after the transaction was complete. I just will never work with eBay again as a buyer or a seller I'm completely done. The buyer completely scammed me and the system and got away with it

ALWAYS file a copy of all correspondence between you and the buyer/seller. And always keep a copy of all the photos of the product before you sell or before you buy. Both can be used as proof for SNAD claims or to refute SNAD claims if you are a seller.

Additional tip for sellers, make sure that you take photos (with a camera that clearly shows the date) when you pack your item as proof of its condition when you ship. That way buyers can't file a SNAD against you when it was the post office's fault (trust me, it has happened to me before!)

Great thread, by the way!
Don’t fall for the request to sell outside of ebay to avoid fees!

After being burned by a buyer, I decided to start videoing (unedited) the bag being packed at the place of shipping which shows serial numbers/stamps and if there are any specific marks due to being preloved. The video will show it being handed to customer service and the copy of the receipt and tracking. I will not include the employee's face however, everything else will be seen and I will say the person's name and the location I am at. So if any scammers don't get their way with PayPal and then go to their CC company/bank, I have absolute proof that they cannot deny. I also put on two tabs that even if 1 is pulled off, I will not accept it back. I had that same buyer use the bag for 2 months and then demand her money back. Never again!

Reactions: Gabs007
Me too. I was scammed out of $280 selling a Louis V pochette. In hindsight I would have handled things far differently with the buyer. It was after 60 days and she carried it for her wedding and it was trying to claim that it was not authentic because I didn't include the copy of the receipt as promised. She was obviously lying and eBay and PayPal both denied her claim Because I had photos of everything and it was after 60 days. She went to her credit card company and filed a fraudulent claim and was fully refunded, So I in turn owe pay pal over $360 in late fees and penalties when it was all said and done and it substantially cost me my credit score while we disputed it. Needless to say I no longer will ever use eBay but I should have just agreed to refund her the money in return for receiving my item And going forward if I ever sell again it will be with refunds allowed as long as the item has not been used, I will probably resort to using security tags. So not only was I out over $360 I never got my pochette back so it actually cost me over $700 in total loss. The credit card company told her to keep the item or destroy it because it was fake . Neither eBay nor pay pal did anything to help me After more than 11 years working with both companies and not a single negative feedback and proof of original purchase on this item, And the buyer had actually left to be positive feedback shortly after the transaction was complete. I just will never work with eBay again as a buyer or a seller I'm completely done. The buyer completely scammed me and the system and got away with it
That is almost exactly what happened to me! She said she was attending a few late spring/early summer events and a few rodeo parties and the bag was perfect. After 60 days, same thing. I told PayPal to demand I get the bag back in perfect condition and they had to fight with the CC company over that because they told her to destroy it since she claimed it was fake and she "couldn't find the serial number" even though it was explained where it was and photos! I got the bag back and it was damaged but her CC company didn't care because she was their client. Out money, shipping and now a damaged bag. I learned my lesson big time!

That is almost exactly what happened to me! She said she was attending a few late spring/early summer events and a few rodeo parties and the bag was perfect. After 60 days, same thing. I told PayPal to demand I get the bag back in perfect condition and they had to fight with the CC company over that because they told her to destroy it since she claimed it was fake and she "couldn't find the serial number" even though it was explained where it was and photos! I got the bag back and it was damaged but her CC company didn't care because she was their client. Out money, shipping and now a damaged bag. I learned my lesson big time!
I'm terribly sorry to hear that somebody else had to go through the same thing, the only bright side is that this forum is there to educate people but it was an expensive lesson. It's truly ruined me from a resale standpoint I just don't want to deal with anyone or anything on line any longer. So in turn I really not buying because I have a 1 in 1 out rule so I'm just using what I own in shopping in my own closet. But I think because of this everybody loses retailers and reputable online companies

I'm terribly sorry to hear that somebody else had to go through the same thing, the only bright side is that this forum is there to educate people but it was an expensive lesson. It's truly ruined me from a resale standpoint I just don't want to deal with anyone or anything on line any longer. So in turn I really not buying because I have a 1 in 1 out rule so I'm just using what I own in shopping in my own closet. But I think because of this everybody loses retailers and reputable online companies
Well, I have some bags that I have and will be listing. I did put a disclaimer stating that I am doing an unedited video from the shipping location of the bag, serial number, packing, handing off and receipt/tracking. When a CC company tells you that is one way to go about it, you listen and comply. I'm hoping scam buyers will think twice but I'm also hoping it doesn't scare off honest buyers.

Well, I have some bags that I have and will be listing. I did put a disclaimer stating that I am doing an unedited video from the shipping location of the bag, serial number, packing, handing off and receipt/tracking. When a CC company tells you that is one way to go about it, you listen and comply. I'm hoping scam buyers will think twice but I'm also hoping it doesn't scare off honest buyers.
Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but PP, EBay don’t give any recourse for videos. CC may. Sorry this happened to you.
That is why I deal w/Yoogi’s FP and AFF

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but PP, EBay don’t give any recourse for videos. CC may. Sorry this happened to you.
That is why I deal w/Yoogi’s FP and AFF
PayPal didn't give a rats patoot about serial number proof/photos either. However, they did work with me to get her CC company to send the bag back. The unedited video is more for the CC companies since it is very common for scammers to go straight to their CC companies and claim fake and not have to send them proof. The CC companies should know better and something has to be done to make them more aware. So until they start asking for proof, scammers will continue to do this. It is theft and should be reported to law enforcement if happens. That's the second way to start making these people think twice.

PayPal didn't give a rats patoot about serial number proof/photos either. However, they did work with me to get her CC company to send the bag back. The unedited video is more for the CC companies since it is very common for scammers to go straight to their CC companies and claim fake and not have to send them proof. The CC companies should know better and something has to be done to make them more aware. So until they start asking for proof, scammers will continue to do this. It is theft and should be reported to law enforcement if happens. That's the second way to start making these people think twice.

Must be different where you are, I recall that I fell for a scam, a few years back, I was looking at the FB site of Prada, the shops nearby didn't have the bag I wanted, I knew I wouldn't be in London or a place where it was more likely that they have it and thought "Oh well" - all of a sudden I get those ads and it looked like they came from Prada, announced a sale and I swooped and bought the bag. I found it a bit odd that it came from Holland and not from Prada, no return address, opened it and the smell was horrendous, totally stank of plastic, tried to contact them, no reply, so I went to my CC company, who oddly enough said they were going to call me anyway because it seems that I am trying to buy a car in China and they found it a bit odd that before that I paid for a very small item with the card and then immediately went for a car.

I was told I have to send it back, said I would love to but there is no return address or anything, if they can provide me with that will do but absolutely refuse to pay for a postage label for such a fake, because what they sent is the biggest fake ever, I had to keep the smelling thing for 8 weeks, they did a charge back and they also issued me with a new card, since it was clearly compromised (no real evidence that it was the same people but it seems very likely, given the time frame), the only thing that surprises me was how they could send it without a return address, but I guess a different law there...

I am not too delighted about the UK law that even if you are sold a fake and the seller did it deliberately, it is considered done and over if you get the money back. Don't get me wrong, I am totally against scammers borrowing items and returning ages later with the fake claim or trying to keep the item, but I think people who knowingly sell fakes and try to pass them off as real should really not be able to walk away.

Edited to clarify, if it was an honest mistake and they did not know they were gifted or sold a fake, different issue, but I doubt that somebody is gifted like 20 fakes in a row

Last edited:
I would be filing a police report and depending on the amount, a lawsuit. People like that have to be stopped. I had someone do something similar to me and eBay ruled in my favor but I still worry she will try to do something like that with her cc. If she does, I will not stop until justice has been served. I know a lot of people would rather just not deal with it or the expense but I would. I also have proof she fabricated multiple stories. I just can’t deal with liars and thieves so I no longer do high value items on eBay.

I would be filing a police report and depending on the amount, a lawsuit. People like that have to be stopped. I had someone do something similar to me and eBay ruled in my favor but I still worry she will try to do something like that with her cc. If she does, I will not stop until justice has been served. I know a lot of people would rather just not deal with it or the expense but I would. I also have proof she fabricated multiple stories. I just can’t deal with liars and thieves so I no longer do high value items on eBay.

Not sure about US laws, I guess they also will change from state to state, but it might be a her word against yours and I wouldn't be surprised if she would claim she destroyed the item and threw it away believing it was a fake... I am totally with you that those people have to be stopped (pretty much like the people who scam others with fakes) the execution of it might be the problem, you could still have copies of the receipts and everything and she would claim it is not what you sent her.... It is one of the reasons why eBay has become so unattractive.

ETA if you have evidence she lied, totally go for her, the only words I have for those people the forum would put in stars

Not sure about US laws, I guess they also will change from state to state, but it might be a her word against yours and I wouldn't be surprised if she would claim she destroyed the item and threw it away believing it was a fake... I am totally with you that those people have to be stopped (pretty much like the people who scam others with fakes) the execution of it might be the problem, you could still have copies of the receipts and everything and she would claim it is not what you sent her.... It is one of the reasons why eBay has become so unattractive.

ETA if you have evidence she lied, totally go for her, the only words I have for those people the forum would put in stars
Exactly. I’m lucky that she fabricated multiple stories and I have evidence but for most unfortunately it’s not that way. Agreed about the *****.