eBay Safety Tips for Buying & Selling

Thank you! I prefer to using GSP for the protection but I've only sold two items through it, both to Canada, compared to the 20 or so international customers who have asked for shipping costs. When I look at the calculated postage for Australia or most other countries, the postage charged by GSP is comparable to what I would have to pay to ship it myself. I could have sworn I saw a customs charge for Australia on my $200 watch when I checked it last week, but it isn't there now. I assume that buyers can't get the customs fee refunded if the charge isn't really that high.

Quite a few people on this forum complain that they wouldn't buy through the GSP because it is a ripoff. One of the posters in Australia I talk to quite often says she won't buy through GSP because it is too expensive, but maybe that is because she is buying relatively cheap items so the postage cost is high compared to the price of the item. As far as I can tell, the main difference is that GSP ships by priority mail international and for cheaper items I would ship by first class international.

I hope they won't remove the padding I put around my watch when I ship it.

Glad to help! :smile:

Luckily, the GSP program seems pretty sensitive to the Australia import tax threshold, so for most listings under ~$850 USD, I can clearly see that the import charges are listed as $0.00.

You're right, GSP is not recommended for items under $50.

It's interesting that you mention high postage costs though, that your friend in Australia is weary of. I remember when the GSP first started, postage charges through the program to Australia were very high! Something like $120 USD to ship a ladies handbag. :wtf:

This was before the USPS postage charge increase as well! I remember getting a bag of similar weight and dimension shipped directly from a seller that cost no more than $45 USD. For that reason, I too was hesitant to buy anything with GSP attached for a very long time...

Things seem to have improved for the better now. GSP prices are more in line with expected postage costs.

I do somewhat fear for the safety of your watch, though... I had a wallet shipped from the US just last week, and it arrived in its own box which was dinged up from the journey, as the GSP shippers decided to place it in a box at least five times too big for it with no additional padding at all. I was not impressed, but luckily the wallet itself survived the trip just fine. :smile:

Glad to help! :smile:

Luckily, the GSP program seems pretty sensitive to the Australia import tax threshold, so for most listings under ~$850 USD, I can clearly see that the import charges are listed as $0.00.

You're right, GSP is not recommended for items under $50.

It's interesting that you mention high postage costs though, that your friend in Australia is weary of. I remember when the GSP first started, postage charges through the program to Australia were very high! Something like $120 USD to ship a ladies handbag. :wtf:

This was before the USPS postage charge increase as well! I remember getting a bag of similar weight and dimension shipped directly from a seller that cost no more than $45 USD. For that reason, I too was hesitant to buy anything with GSP attached for a very long time...

Things seem to have improved for the better now. GSP prices are more in line with expected postage costs.

I do somewhat fear for the safety of your watch, though... I had a wallet shipped from the US just last week, and it arrived in its own box which was dinged up from the journey, as the GSP shippers decided to place it in a box at least five times too big for it with no additional padding at all. I was not impressed, but luckily the wallet itself survived the trip just fine. :smile:
I sold a purse yesterday that was shipped to one of those drop ship places. The ultimate destination is China. I sure hope they don't remove the packing from the inside like the GSP shippers. I wrapped the strap up and placed it inside the bag along with the stuffing.

Be very, very polite in all correspondences. I've gotten much more when I'm polite than when I sound angry.
Take a photo record of everything, whether you are buying or selling. If you're selling, a photo of the package wrapped up (ready to ship) send an email confirmation of shipping with the shipping receipt, a screen shot of when the package was delivered.
If you're buying, take a photo of the box when delivered even before you open it. I've had a dispute with the seller about a damaged item, she said it was the delivery service, but that box was so well wrapped and in good condition that it could not be that way.

Now for my tip:

Open a seperate bank account for Ebay and PayPal transactions. If possible use a seperate bank. This will solve problems of anyone getting your HOUSEHOLD bank account numbers. People do chargebacks and next thing you know, your rent money is gone. Having a seperate account will solve this problem.

Also a small limit credit card is a good idea. If you wish to make a larger purchase, you can add funds to the account.

Really good advice! Thank you!

The few things that have helped me over the years:

1.) I have a small bank account ($50 total) that is only attached to PayPal.
2.) I always, always, always use my credit card through PayPal. I never use my bank account except to transfer money from PayPal.
3.) If I'm selling an expensive item (or an amount I don't want to lose), I take detailed video of the item, me packaging the item, me labeling the box, etc. I have yet to need a video as proof, but I keep them until I receive feedback.

Since I was scammed but managed to successfully got my money back, I wanted to share the biggest lesson I learned from the experience.

Use your CREDIT CARD to pay for all purchases!!! You have double the assurance (from PAYPAL and from your credit card company) from any purchase. I actually found that AMEX handled the situation much better than PayPal did. They went after PayPal themselves and was able to get me my refund.

The few things that have helped me over the years:

1.) I have a small bank account ($50 total) that is only attached to PayPal.
2.) I always, always, always use my credit card through PayPal. I never use my bank account except to transfer money from PayPal.
3.) If I'm selling an expensive item (or an amount I don't want to lose), I take detailed video of the item, me packaging the item, me labeling the box, etc. I have yet to need a video as proof, but I keep them until I receive feedback.

i link my billmelater to my paypal and my bank account as backup

I sold a Johnny Farah waist bag .. When the ebayer received it she wrote me a strong letter saying it was not authentic (as far as I knew it was authentic) .. I was intimidated and refunded her the money on the spot... THAT IS A BIG NO!!!!! DO NOT RETURN MONEY UNTIL YOU RECEIVE THE ITEM... She never returned the bag and ebay was not able to do a thing. This was a good lesson for me. You have no idea who you are dealing with. : )

A

Hey guys!

I have sold quite a few items and have been lucky so far-- so I feel like I have an ebay scam in my future.

Today someone purchased an expensive pair of Louboutins, paid on paypal and paypal has confirmed their address, etc. and seller protection has attached, BUT the buyer just joined ebay today and obviously has no feedback. I found the buyer on linked in and know they are a real person, but should I abandon this sale because of the risks? I am so worried by these horror stories of buyers claiming that boxes were empty, etc. Thoughts?

Sometimes, people will sign up because they found something they want. Could be that simple. However, wait for other responses. Ultimately, it is up to you.
agreed, and I would hate to prevent a legitimate buyer from a purchase. Though it is super creepy, I did find her on linked in and Facebook via the paypal information provided. While it is probably not super appropriate, I sent her a message via Facebook asking her to confirm that she is the actual purchaser. She purchased and paid right away, which has usually been good news in the past (I have already had a few non-payers with this item), and I plan on taking A LOT of pictures of the packaging and buying insurance + signature confirmation when shipping priority.

Still nervous though...

Hi,
I recently sold a LV bag, the transactions is smooth and when she received my purse , today is this the message I get from her.

We received the bag on late yesterday,The bag is not an authentic Louis Vuitton. There are no Louis Vuitton markings on the bag nor the strap and buckles and the lining on the inside is not correct.
The bag is being returned to you for a full refund.

- mylethrbgs
Click "respond" to reply through Messages, or go to your email to reply

I called eBay and eBay says it's in my favor as she violate the eBay agreement as she didn't open a dispute . And I am pissed because I have proof of purchase the bag and I won't be selling fake items in eBay because I don't do fake.

When I call paypal , they say if she claim the refund from her credit card company assume she use credit card , then eBay and Paypal can't protect me because the buyer goes thru 3rd party.

Now I haven't received my purse yet as I don't know if u will get the right purse as I send her.ImageUploadedByPurseForum1403997839.754440.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1403997858.985161.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1403997969.366162.jpg

Those are the purse I sold her .

I sold a Johnny Farah waist bag .. When the ebayer received it she wrote me a strong letter saying it was not authentic (as far as I knew it was authentic) .. I was intimidated and refunded her the money on the spot... THAT IS A BIG NO!!!!! DO NOT RETURN MONEY UNTIL YOU RECEIVE THE ITEM... She never returned the bag and ebay was not able to do a thing. This was a good lesson for me. You have no idea who you are dealing with. : )

A

By right before she decide to return to u she should file a dispute to eBay so there is open case and you will be protected. I am in same situation with u today a buyer return my item and demand a full refund and I know my item is real as I purchase it from the boutique itself .
So immediately I call eBay when I received the message from the buyer. And eBay told me not to response to her message for now.

Now I have to wait for my item to come in the mail if she mail me back my item in the condition that I mail it to her.