eBay returns - How to track it?

juliecouture

throw it in the bag
May 2, 2008
Hi ladies,

I recently bought a LV Monceau. When I got the bag, I realized it was too big for my body.

I saw that the seller accepted returns, so I wanted to return the bag. However, when I go into my eBay to click a return, it says that I have to go through the seller to return my item.

I did, and the seller gave me the address to return the item. But my question is, how would eBay know that I"m returning this item? I don't want to just send the bag back and not get my refund, especially if there would be no way for eBay to know that I was returning it.

Has anyone had a similar situation to this?

Thank you!

You buy tracking when you ship the item. If the seller claims she didn't get it, show her the tracking that shows it was delivered. If she doesn't refund, open a case and show the tracking and the correspondence where she told you where to return the item.

If it is over $750, you need to get signature confirmation when you send it.

You are relying on the seller for a refund & have worked it out with seller to send
back the item so seller knows it will be on its way.

Ebay would not get involved unless you opened a dispute which doesn't seem the
case at the moment.

Are you returning the bag to a confirmed PP/Ebay address?

When you return the item as suggested above if it is over $750 you will need sc
( you want to send it back with online tracking as well & you may want to consider insurance
if it is expensive)

Once you check that the package has been delivered, I'd give your seller 24 hours to
process the refund.. If you don't see it, then I would send an e-mail via ebay messages,
that the item has been sent back & received & you would like your refund.
The seller knows the item is coming back, so they should refund you promptly.

You can buy the postage through your paypal account so there will be an online record of it.

Hi Whateve, (had a little time before heading-off to bed and this thread updated on my email so I saw your very helpful comment to OP)...and I had a quick question about what you just mentioned please :

How would one (as the Buyer) go about then printing/buying postage via one's paypa* account whilst also making sure its the "correct/acceptable" Return Address for the Seller (per paypa* and that paypa* will honor that address) if/when the buyer needs to "prove" the Tracking for the Seller to paypa* -- and then the buyer could get the refund without any problems? Would so appreciate your input on that please. :smile: Thank You in advance Whateve.

Hi Whateve, (had a little time before heading-off to bed and this thread updated on my email so I saw your very helpful comment to OP)...and I had a quick question about what you just mentioned please :

How would one (as the Buyer) go about then printing/buying postage via one's paypa* account whilst also making sure its the "correct/acceptable" Return Address for the Seller (per paypa* and that paypa* will honor that address) if/when the buyer needs to "prove" the Tracking for the Seller to paypa* -- and then the buyer could get the refund without any problems? Would so appreciate your input on that please. :smile: Thank You in advance Whateve.
As far as I know, unless it has been changed, ebay expects the buyers and sellers to work this out among themselves. Ebay policy has been that the buyer ships to whatever address the seller provides. Ebay and Paypal don't give the buyer the opportunity to learn the address that is on file with ebay and paypal, so the buyer has no choice other than to return to the address provided by the seller. As a buyer, you have the ebay messages to prove what address the seller gave you, then by buying your postage through paypal, paypal has a record that you bought postage to the address provided by the seller; once it is delivered, the tracking will show that it was delivered to the address provided by the seller, so the seller shouldn't be able to claim non-receipt. As far as I can tell, this is the best way to protect yourself.

Paypal used to have a button for returning within certain individual item's detail. I don't know if it exists anymore, but it has never been there for anything I've had to return. I've always had to click on the multi-order shipping button under selling tools. I've never had a seller claim they didn't get it.