Ebay Question

MCAddict

O.G.
Apr 6, 2008
Okay so here is the deal. I sold a bag to a buyer almost three weeks ago and it was delivered on the 21st of April. The buyer contacts me today saying they need to return the bag because it smells of smoke or perfume. I have never in my life smoked, nor does anyone in my house. I also do not wear perfume, let alone spray enough on a bag to make it smell like perfume. I personally also think the smell of perfume is quite different than the smell of smoke but that's another thing. Anyway the buyer is demanding a full refund. It has been two weeks since they have had it, and they admitted to trying many different things to get this "smell" out, so I honestly don't feel comfortable just giving them a refund. What can I do in this situation?

oh wow! i would 100% not accept a return whatsoever - this sounds especially shady. i assume the tags have already been removed by the buyer by now anyway. do you have any info in your postings about if you personally accept returns or offer any guarantees?

oh wow! i would 100% not accept a return whatsoever - this sounds especially shady. i assume the tags have already been removed by the buyer by now anyway. do you have any info in your postings about if you personally accept returns or offer any guarantees?

I have in my listing that returns are not accepted. Had they contacted me a day or two after getting the bag that would have been another story, but not this long after they have had it.

Okay so here is the deal. I sold a bag to a buyer almost three weeks ago and it was delivered on the 21st of April. The buyer contacts me today saying they need to return the bag because it smells of smoke or perfume. I have never in my life smoked, nor does anyone in my house. I also do not wear perfume, let alone spray enough on a bag to make it smell like perfume. I personally also think the smell of perfume is quite different than the smell of smoke but that's another thing. Anyway the buyer is demanding a full refund. It has been two weeks since they have had it, and they admitted to trying many different things to get this "smell" out, so I honestly don't feel comfortable just giving them a refund. What can I do in this situation?

Once the buyer has altered the item in any way - cleaning the bag is included - they no longer have buyer protection.

Once the buyer has altered the item in any way - cleaning the bag is included - they no longer have buyer protection.

That is good to know. This situation is so frustrating, had they said something when the bag was received I would have had them send it back no problem as I always want all of my buyers to be happy. Two weeks is just way too long to go without saying anything though.

oh WOW! It never ceases to amaze me how dishonest people can be, I am glad to hear that since the buyer has made altercations the policy is null and void.

Okay, so a case has now been opened. This was there message in the case:
"We are requesting a return as we cannot use the bag. Auction stated no smells present and that's a large reason why we agreed to purchase. Bag smells of cigarette smoke and perfume. We tried airing it out and wiping it down and using all the typical tricks to eliminate smells. Basically everything short of using something which could damage the canvass or interior. At this point we just want to return the bag, get our refund and purchase another that we can use."

This shows by their own admission that they have tried cleaning the bag by wiping it down and using all the typical tricks to eliminate smells, so therefore buyer protection should be null and void, do I have that correct? I hate to have to play these games, I don't believe the buyer is a scammer, but seems like buyers remorse of something, and after almost three weeks now there is no way I would be comfortable allowing a return.

"We are requesting a return as we cannot use the bag. Auction stated no smells present and that's a large reason why we agreed to purchase. Bag smells of cigarette smoke and perfume. We tried airing it out and wiping it down and using all the typical tricks to eliminate smells. Basically everything short of using something which could damage the canvass or interior. At this point we just want to return the bag, get our refund and purchase another that we can use."

This shows by their own admission that they have tried cleaning the bag by wiping it down and using all the typical tricks to eliminate smells, so therefore buyer protection should be null and void, do I have that correct? I hate to have to play these games, I don't believe the buyer is a scammer, but seems like buyers remorse of something, and after almost three weeks now there is no way I would be comfortable allowing a return.

As far as I know, eBay typically finds in the favor on "smell" issues as it's something that's not easily determined.

Okay so here is the deal. I sold a bag to a buyer almost three weeks ago and it was delivered on the 21st of April. The buyer contacts me today saying they need to return the bag because it smells of smoke or perfume. I have never in my life smoked, nor does anyone in my house. I also do not wear perfume, let alone spray enough on a bag to make it smell like perfume.

Are you the original owner of the bag? I ask because if it was second hand, you may not have noticed the odor, but another buyer could well detect something that was there. People differ a lot in their scent sensitivity.

This is correct, but call eBay (or PP, wherever the case was opened), and point it out to them that the buyer has admitted to doing things to the bag, and since it's no longer in the condition in which it was sent out, it cannot be returned.

Are you the original owner of the bag? I ask because if it was second hand, you may not have noticed the odor, but another buyer could well detect something that was there. People differ a lot in their scent sensitivity.

Yes, I am the original owner of this bag. I do buy bag second hand as well, but this one in particular was one of my most favorite (and expensive) bags I had ever purchased new. There is just no way it has a smoke smell or perfume, I can't even wear perfume because I get terrible migraines that are triggered by smells.