Ebay postage costs higher than regular USPS?

gillianna

O.G.
Dec 27, 2005
I help my son with his ebay and was packing some things for him today. I did the postage on eBay to be paid by PayPal and the price came out to 14.19 USPS parcel select for a package cost. I have a glitch in the computer printer and my iPad hookup so my son said just print it right from PayPal site. I went to his PayPal to print label and had to renter the weight and other information and the postage cost came to 9 dollars and change. I printed the cheaper label. I went back on eBay and redid the postage again and it came out to $14.19. I typed in the exact information that was used for the PayPal label. Weight,dimensions, how it was shipped and address-all was the same.

Is ebay adding extra charges to postage costs when you use their site? I never thought to check this out. I do notice I sometimes see your eBay discount on postage when I print my own ebay labels. If someone sells a decent amount the postage costs can add up if you are getting overcharged. From now on I will check prices on both sites and see which price is cheaper.

Did you check on the USPS site to see what the charge should be? Are you sure the postage calculation on ebay was for parcel select and not for priority?

I've always seen that the prices on ebay are lower than on USPS, and the prices on paypal usually match ebay unless you have a top rated discount on ebay, then ebay will be cheaper.

Reactions: MAGJES
Did you check on the USPS site to see what the charge should be? Are you sure the postage calculation on ebay was for parcel select and not for priority?

I've always seen that the prices on ebay are lower than on USPS, and the prices on paypal usually match ebay unless you have a top rated discount on ebay, then ebay will be cheaper.
I bet that's what happened. Priority is the default despite what the ebay listing shows as the delivery method.